Olivia/Hunter

dncllpyk

I'm still frustrated by the whole thing. Fake Olivia was enough of an insult as it was, without having her lead on nice guy VJ only to treat him like dirt and start being rude and obnoxious with Psycho Saint Hunter. And now we have some sort of mutual dependency nonsense to try and redeem them both, with her not caring about all the things he's done because she fancies him and he was nice to her. It's contrived and manipulative, and sticking two awful characters together and expecting the audience to like them seems to require us to have memories like goldfishes.

• Like 2

Nah Hunter ain't a bad guy. Nor is Olivia a bad person. Did Olivia lead Vj on? Maybe. But it wasn't intentional. Hunter to me is a messed up kid who made dumb choices. But the fact hes guilty prooves you can't characterize them as a psycho or two awful characters. When they are so much more then that. Im loving Olivia and Irenes dynamic. Hunter reminds me so much of Aden. So I guess im loving Hunter and Olivia together. But thats just me.

I think Hunter is a bad guy.He gets one vulnerable young woman locked up for months out of pure cowardice, then because he suddenly gets a personality transplant, blames it all on his mother (even though everything she did was his fault) and gets to be nice to (read: sleep with) another vulnerable young woman, we're suddenly supposed to like him? Shoehorning Hunter into Olivia's storyline made me care even less about it than I already did.I just can't believe in Irene and Olivia's relationship.There's been no attempt to establish it, she just turns up out of nowhere and suddenly she's the most important person in Irene's life.Maybe their history justifies it, but when half the audience don't know who she is and the other half know that the show's history has been trampled on to introduce this imposter it's hard to feel any connection to stuff that happened ten years ago.It's a horrible attempt to shortcut Hunter into being accepted, even though what he did when he came in means he should never be accepted, certainly not without some genuine consequences to his actions.It does remind me of the way Aden was shoehorned into Melody's storyline to try and make us forget what he'd done, which spoiled that for me, but at least that was just a couple of scenes.Suddenly Olivia's all about Hunter and the result is I don't like either of them.

In theory Hunter should be a sympathetic character because he is what his Mother made him... very much like Dylan was with Angie. But this is the downfall... Dylan never went full psycho on anyone. Hunter burnt down a house (with people inside) & then messed Maz but has not yet fessed up. All this & now they try to make him likable?

Then we have Olivia. Couldn't they have introduced her in a better way? I am not just talking about her flirt/bitch thing with VJ but the whole thing. By introducing her like this they have basically trashed a past character off screen (James). Just to make her a little sympathetic... after introducing her as a witch.

It just feels like the logic was toxic character + tragic past character = bingo!

On 10. desember 2015 at 2:53 AM, Luke39 said:

7 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think Hunter is a bad guy.He gets one vulnerable young woman locked up for months out of pure cowardice, then because he suddenly gets a personality transplant, blames it all on his mother (even though everything she did was his fault) and gets to be nice to (read: sleep with) another vulnerable young woman, we're suddenly supposed to like him? Shoehorning Hunter into Olivia's storyline made me care even less about it than I already did.I just can't believe in Irene and Olivia's relationship.There's been no attempt to establish it, she just turns up out of nowhere and suddenly she's the most important person in Irene's life.Maybe their history justifies it, but when half the audience don't know who she is and the other half know that the show's history has been trampled on to introduce this imposter it's hard to feel any connection to stuff that happened ten years ago.It's a horrible attempt to shortcut Hunter into being accepted, even though what he did when he came in means he should never be accepted, certainly not without some genuine consequences to his actions.It does remind me of the way Aden was shoehorned into Melody's storyline to try and make us forget what he'd done, which spoiled that for me, but at least that was just a couple of scenes.Suddenly Olivia's all about Hunter and the result is I don't like either of them.

Hm. Agree that Hunter is bad, but that he is responsible for his mothers action is just nonsense. She is the adult one, and she is far more psycho than he is. She was a nutter long before he entered. And she should have put a stopper to his actions, and made him responsible and not made the situation worse. I haven't seen all yet, but I have read it on here. And what she did is far worse, and she got worse and worse. She also pushed Hunter away. 

What differ Hunter from Aden, or Rick or Jesse or others before 2010, is that there were no build up to his actions, or no explanation.

But I think that Hunter's actions is too serious to forget. I know something will be revealed (by reading on this forum), but it doesn't seem that the incident with Marilyn will not, and that is the most serious thing. With Aden, Ric and other guys and girls before 2010 we saw a reaction to what they did.. we saw the process of them trying to be better... We can always disagree with the consequences of their actions, but at least their actions were an issue and not forgot about. And in a soap I can forget about the realistic time to heal in a clinic for example, or if the outcome of a court case - the punishment - is hard enough or not... I can live with that, as long as there is some kind of consequences, because it is a soap. 

But I need to see the prosess of becoming a better person, with setbacks and with good steps forward. I don't buying in changes overnight and totally forgetting about their actions. And that's the reason why Hunter is a new Kyle to me... and not Aden or Ric, or Jesse... With Kyle there was the same thing... we saw extreme scenes and actions, we had no other explanation about this actions rather than "he wanted to be a Braxton"/he was jealous. We even got to know that he have had great foster parents. So his actions came out of the blue, and the angry Kyle also vanished over night.  I know there was a kind of trial, but we never really saw much of that and it was forgotten about. We never saw the struggle. And that has always destroyed Kyle for me. 

I really don't want to see Hunter in a relationship with anyone before they dig into his childhood, get a good explanation for his actions, and I want everything to come out. He need to get a kind of redeeming process. If they get this done in a proper way, then I can enjoy him in a relationship with a girl.. and his relationship with Leah, Zac, VJ and others. Just like I really enjoyed characters like Aden, Jesse, Rick and more. 

• Like 1

I disagree somewhat. They kind of gave the game away in the recent UK episode where Kat says Charlotte was a hard-working single mother before she came to Summer Bay and then something happened.And that something was Hunter.Yes, she handled it badly, and she went on handling it worse and worse, but he really started all this, and then he arbitrarily turns against her when, as far as he knows, she hasn't done anything nearly as bad as him.It's letting him off the hook to say that Charlotte was already nuts and that's why he got messed up, because we've never heard of anything she did before coming to Summer Bay that could make Hunter like this except telling him Zac didn't want to see him, and if that's all it takes to have him deliberately endanger lives then I don't think she's responsible at all.Especially when we seem to be going down the usual Home and Away route that an adult who's been messed up by bad parenting and a traumatic childhood is still responsible for their actions, while a teenager gets let off the hook.

I think Kyle was a bit different.People tend to forget that Casey killed his father and that was his motivation for his actions in the desert, which by modern Home and Away standards is an understandable motivation, certainly more so than Hunter's.I could believe in Kyle as someone who'd been messed up by a desire to prove himself to his father and his brothers by emulating him, and that underneath was the real him who wasn't really like that.Hunter seems closer to Andy, someone who comes in nearly killing people for trivial reasons and then within a few weeks gets accepted by all the people they've hurt without doing anything to earn their forgiveness, and the audience are supposed to forget everything that happened when we first met them and accept them in a relationship.I agree that the problem is we don't see a journey, that it's just a case of a switch being flicked and suddenly we're supposed to like him without having any reason to.And nope, I'm not buying it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had hoped that Marilyn's homecoming would result in everyone learning about what actually caused her amnesia (and by extension what really happened to Denny). But, having faced the judge for his arson crime (which could've resulted in 4 deaths-in which Billie was looking at 10 years for), and a stabbing (in front of a police officer) he is punished with cleaning the beach.... It was obvious he wouldn't go to juvie: no one really seemed worried about him not coming home, and no one, not even his girlfriend could be bothered saying goodbye (at least on screen). But i find it so appalling the way everyone is so dismissive of his wrong-doings. Like Zac saying he is proud of him when he doesn't loose his temper and stab Andy again after doing it once already? 

I hope Olivia realizes how unsafe he is to be around (though i wouldn't hold my breath). She knows everything he has done and swept it under the carpet because it happened before she met him(and he was under the influence of his awful mother :rolleyes:), but stabbing someone recently isn't exactly a sign that he is a good person for her to be around. Olivia is far from my favourite character because to me she is rude, judgmental and selfish at times where she really doesn't need to be, but Hunter doesn't need or deserve a girlfriend while he is continuing to not even care about his involvement in Denny's death and Marilyn's accident. That would be on a normal person's conscience, but it doesn't seem to be with Hunter, which isn't exactly surprising. 

• Like 3