Skye Peters - Marlo Kelly

JosieTash

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, Skye has now exited UK screens.I'm sorry to see her go and didn't find it entirely satisfying but there's an interesting ethos buried in there, possibly accidentally.I remember back in the Trey storyline, all those years ago, I wrote a long essay about how it showed that sometimes Summer Bay gets it wrong: That they all dismissed him as a troublemaker rather than someone that needed compassion and ultimately they all tipped him over the edge.But here, their getting it wrong drives away someone that they were trying to help.I'm reminded of Charlotte's final speech to the town: That on the surface Summer Bay seems a warm and welcoming place but there's an ugly side to them, that causes them all to turn on those they believe don't fit.Of course, Charlotte was insane so they could all ignore her.But now the condemnation comes from Skye.

Murderers, drug dealers and arsonists get accepted as part of the in crowd but Tank, who's served his time and shown remorse for his crimes, is deemed not worthy of a second chance.(Irene doesn't even seem to notice the hypocrisy in telling Skye to stay away from Tank because people like that never change, then almost in the next breath encouraging Olivia's relationship with Hunter, who did as much harm to the same family and didn't even have to serve his time for it.)So Skye sees these people that have welcomed her into their homes and lives greeting someone else with nothing but violence and abuse and slowly realises she doesn't want to be one of them.For a long time I was very disappointed with her reaction to Tank telling her he caused the explosion, the way she turned on him and ignored him, only responding to his constant pleas for a fair hearing to tell him to leave her alone.Contrasted with how Josh treated Andy or Maddy treated Roo in similar circumstances, it did seem like she didn't really care about him.But thinking about it some more, maybe she'd been tainted by the town.From the moment she first met Tank, she'd had everyone, even people who'd never met Tank, insisting he was a psychotic monster.That was bound to have an effect and so she temporarily came to believe it was true.Maybe that was why she really had to leave, before they brainwashed her further.I'm glad of her last meeting with John, even if it did somewhat undermine her rejection.But she still walks away from him and everyone else without a backwards glance: She's grateful to them but she doesn't want to be one of them.

Maybe things will work out with Tank, maybe they won't. Maybe they're just two lonely people latching onto each other and making it more than it is.But it's her own choice and it's her right to be wrong.

• Like 4

• 5 years later...

So we just got this on the main site.

https://www.backtothebay.net/news/2022/03/16/former-home-and-away-script-exec-reveals-plans-kill-off-favourite/

I'm sorry: They axed Skye because she wasn't fat enough? That is an appalling decision which beggars belief. Being shallow enough to waste a brilliant actress and character because she was too thin really does suggest the world has been turned on its head. So, he kept appalling characters like Olivia and Hunter, who should have been given up as a bad job within weeks of signing up, he persevered with Brody despite his big selling point being cut, and yet he got rid of someone who was still one of the best characters they'd had in years?

Words fail me.

13 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

So we just got this on the main site.

https://www.backtothebay.net/news/2022/03/16/former-home-and-away-script-exec-reveals-plans-kill-off-favourite/

I'm sorry: They axed Skye because she wasn't fat enough? That is an appalling decision which beggars belief. Being shallow enough to waste a brilliant actress and character because she was too thin really does suggest the world has been turned on its head. So, he kept appalling characters like Olivia and Hunter, who should have been given up as a bad job within weeks of signing up, he persevered with Brody despite his big selling point being cut, and yet he got rid of someone who was still one of the best characters they'd had in years?

Words fail me.

Yeah it's weird but I'm guess he didn't have the need or storylines for the character the network wanted. It would be nice if he went more in depth. It seems like she was going to be another Olivia and he probably had something totally different in mind. I did like her and Tank and thought they could have explored that a lot more. Tank was great and he could have had a big redemption arc. It felt like we were going to get that and then both were just gone.

18 hours ago, hapitoby said:

Yeah it's weird but I'm guess he didn't have the need or storylines for the character the network wanted. It would be nice if he went more in depth. It seems like she was going to be another Olivia and he probably had something totally different in mind. I did like her and Tank and thought they could have explored that a lot more. Tank was great and he could have had a big redemption arc. It felt like we were going to get that and then both were just gone.

It's curious to look back over this thread and see how everyone was praising the character for daring to be different from the normal teenage girl character (Olivia was about as much of a stock generic teenage girl as you could get), yet apparently she got dropped for not being different enough. Maybe the network were ordering further changes (it'd be interesting to know why she suddenly lost her glasses) but it seems like a kneejerk reaction and the wrong one. Surely there were a wealth of storylines available that weren't about her weight?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It's curious to look back over this thread and see how everyone was praising the character for daring to be different from the normal teenage girl character (Olivia was about as much of a stock generic teenage girl as you could get), yet apparently she got dropped for not being different enough. Maybe the network were ordering further changes (it'd be interesting to know why she suddenly lost her glasses) but it seems like a kneejerk reaction and the wrong one. Surely there were a wealth of storylines available that weren't about her weight?

Yeah I wish we knew more. Maybe she was just going to become generic. I did prefer her over Olivia but they probably had a long term plan with Olivia and Hunter. We can only speculate