Matt/Maddy

Sarahlouu

TBH lately I am finding Oscar to be the dick and immature one, and finding Oscar to in the wrong here. All Matt did was develop feelings, that is it. HE never acted on them. He always maintained he wanted to remain friends with Oscar and Maddie. OScar is the one who responded immaturely. If anything Oscar has degressed. People always go on about him being a nice guy. But his entire attitude towards Matt, feels like OH I am above you kinda tone. Maddie never made Oscar feel insecure at all, he seems pretty secure enough to hit on Alisa, and possibly kiss her. AS it turns out Matt is looking like the good guy, and Oscar the bad guy IMO. I can understand Oscar feeling insecure about a friend developing feelings for his girlfriend. But the way he is reaction is not okay. And their is NO excuse for cheating. I don't think Maddie has degressed at all. Shes dealing with a change in her life that is all.

I don't like how the writers have done this tbh.

So Oscar and Maddie get together, Matt develops feelings for her and there is something between them.

So lets ruin Oscars character in order to get them together in the long run and put it on him instead of them.

• Like 2

Watching Home and Away today. And something struck me with Oscar. That I kinda see in Lauren in Neighbours. Most of the time they come across as this nice, well meaning character. But theirs a certain mean streak about them. Like I get Oscar was upset about Matt's feelings for Maddie. But the way he looks at Matt goes way beyond love life dramas. It's like he feels he is better then Matt for some reason. Like he is a bit of dirt on his shoe lol. I am sorry but I get this impression Oscar seeing he is well book read, feels he has some kinda entitement over Matt. I don't know, I am just not liking where they are taking Oscar's character at the moment. And I can see why some would see Maddie degressing back to stringing two guys along. But I don't think that is really fair. I mean with Josh and Oscar. Their was already pre existing relationships their. With Matt she was completely caught off guard. And now she is re-evaluating her relationship with Oscar. So I think this goes beyond her new feelings for Matt, but a deeper issue that has always been their with Oscar. And I Get the logic Maddie made Oscar feel insecure. But difference is Maddie has never acted on her feelings, other then emotionally cheating. Oscar if he does kiss Asia is worse. Rationlize it all you want, cheating is cheating. Maddie, Matt, Oscar are all in the wrong her.

12 hours ago, jeky said:

I don't like how the writers have done this tbh.

So Oscar and Maddie get together, Matt develops feelings for her and there is something between them.

So lets ruin Oscars character in order to get them together in the long run and put it on him instead of them.

To be fair Matt never acted on his feelings, he agreed to some distance. Oscar is the one who's actually going out of his way to do what ever he is doing with Asia haha. I am just saying Oscar is not innocent too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't see anything to get excited about in this pairing.It's relationships by numbers, the stock pairing of the feisty girl and the cocky semi-reformed bad boy.Three parts snarky banter, two parts cavorting in as few clothes as possible, one part him gazing at her with big soulful eyes to make the audience go "Awww, he really loves her."It's easy to write, easy to act and easy to watch.I can kind of see the appeal, but to me they don't even come close to matching the depth, maturity and history that Maddy had with Oscar.

It's been clear that Matt was kept on without any real idea what his place in the show was, so every now and then some otherwise intelligent girl decides to fall for him for no real reason.Even then they made the wrong choice:Matt is far better suited to Evelyn in my opinion and she and Josh had already broken up in a believable manner, but instead it's Maddy and Oscar's relationship that gets thrown under the train to accommodate him.The whole thing is completely plot-driven: Matt suddenly decides he likes Maddy without any real build-up at the moment that the plot requires him to, Maddy suddenly decides she likes him too as soon as she finds out, even though she'd been portrayed as being in a happy and stable relationship up till then, then kind of gets together with him by default because things didn't work out with Oscar.The path of least resistance, which pretty much sums up the whole pairing.It doesn't help that, much like Sasha, Maddy exhausted every other possibility before getting around to Matt.He's her fourth boyfriend in less than three years, and frankly he's the worst of the lot.It's a massive pity because I really liked them as friends, but that's been ruined by being reduced to the level of who fancies who, even though they just don't have the right chemistry in my opinion for a relationship between them to be anything other than bland.

Evie would have been even worse combination with Matt than Maddy probably is. Evie is also intelligent too, and she is probably even easier to hurt than Maddie, and she is much more thoughtful than Maddie. If she is suited to Matt, then she has had a personality transplant during the five last months. 

But I am not sure that Evie is suited to Josh either, it feels much more like a teenage fling which last for a year or two, and then she will realise that she will go for different boys. There was a while I liked Josh and Maddy. But I think that stopped when Maddy was rebelling, and then Josh moved on to Evie. But in the beginning they were good like a teenage couple who lasts for a while. 

I agree that Matt and Maddy shouldn't be together. But I think that Matt would have been suited to someone like Billie instead. Someone who can understand him and his background. 

And I think that Maddy has moved from one boy to an another for long time now, it feels enough. I don't think it is necessary to let her once again swap boyfriend.  It would have been better to develop her a bit, and let her stay with Oscar for a longer period, but without  church bells and wedding rings... Something in between. Still a teenage relationship, but a little more steady than her previous relationships and build on more than just physical attraction. And the cancer storyline was a good start. People here say that teenagers change boy and girlfriends all the time. But my experience is that teenagers aren't always doing that. Some stay single until they are over 20, and some stay in a relationship for a longer period too.... It would have been great to have more a mix of different kind of characters and personalities and relationships. 

Edited by jodlebirger

I think Evie's more immature than Maddy and also has better chemistry with Matt while being strong enough to stand up to him, as she showed during the whole alcohol storyline. I've also thought of Phoebe with Matt in the past, she's also got the right personality and has more in common with Matt than Maddy does.It feels like they've got it the wrong way round, as if the show's convinced that Evie's found her soul mate but Maddy needs to keep chopping and changing.I accept that other people agree with that assessment but to me it felt like the other way round.It seems like Evie's at the place in her life where she'd date someone like him (in fact, she did end up going down the bad boy route) whereas Maddy seemed to have moved beyond it.I guess Matt and Maddy could end up as endgame if Kassandra and Alec want to leave around the same time.I also guess the show could get so caught up in the power couple hype that they kill one of them because they think we won't accept them breaking up.But it feels to me like it's not a relationship that would last.

• 2 months later...

I sort of went into Matt and Maddy with an open mind, on the basis that I never really believed she was in love with Oscar and Alec and Kassandra in my opinion have better chemistry. But the closer they got to becoming a couple the more I didn’t like it. I don’t believe it was necessary to have Maddy declare that she’s in love with him after a week of dating, though I accept that they have known each other for awhile and she may have been in denial about said feelings. I also felt that the chemistry between the actors weakened when they became romantic and there was little spark. The current storyline involving them moving in with Roo and fighting all the time, while at times can be humorous, most of the time it just brings out qualities in the characters I don’t really like.

Maddy is a character I have grown to like after finding her extremely unlikable in past years. I enjoy her interactions with the other teens, Roo and Alf in particular. But this storyline has left me quite bored with her. There just isn’t anything exciting about Kassandra’s acting in this storyline and with Alec so far (except for Mr Bojangles- I liked that). Though that is of course my opinion and hopefully it will change. I’m just finding her and Matt’s arguments, as well as this storyline boring and predictable.

Matt is being quite insensitive to how his roommates want to live (this being said I think Roo was also quite harsh when she didn’t want Matt to decorate the apartment with some of his stuff).  I have read opposing opinions about whether Oscar or Matt are more or less mature than the other. But this storyline is highlighting how immature Matt can be. He loves Maddy but won’t clean or do other chores for their household? And when he does finally do it he does it wrong and they continue fighting. This can be seen as humorous but as it’s their first storyline as a couple I’m left disappointed. Hopefully I’ll change my mind once they get more challenging or emotional storylines.

At the moment though I just wish they had explored the characters backgrounds more, rather than another relationship merry go round. Matt has had storylines involving his father and sister, alcohol and since then little to do with anything other than women. I believe the writers could’ve explored his troubles with school more instead of this. On the other hand, Maddy has been in the bay longer and has been in love with Spencer, Josh, Oscar and now Matt. I believed she loved Spencer and Josh but this storyline has done little to prove that she loves Matt any more than she loved Oscar. In my opinion the writers could’ve naturally broken Oscar and Maddy up without hurting Oscar’s character and created storylines involving her nursing career. But we shall see what happens as the weeks pass.

56 minutes ago, KittCatt said:

I sort of went into Matt and Maddy with an open mind, on the basis that I never really believed she was in love with Oscar and Alec and Kassandra in my opinion have better chemistry. But the closer they got to becoming a couple the more I didn’t like it. I don’t believe it was necessary to have Maddy declare that she’s in love with him after a week of dating, though I accept that they have known each other for awhile and she may have been in denial about said feelings. I also felt that the chemistry between the actors weakened when they became romantic and there was little spark. The current storyline involving them moving in with Roo and fighting all the time, while at times can be humorous, most of the time it just brings out qualities in the characters I don’t really like.

Maddy is a character I have grown to like after finding her extremely unlikable in past years. I enjoy her interactions with the other teens, Roo and Alf in particular. But this storyline has left me quite bored with her. There just isn’t anything exciting about Kassandra’s acting in this storyline and with Alec so far (except for Mr Bojangles- I liked that). Though that is of course my opinion and hopefully it will change. I’m just finding her and Matt’s arguments, as well as this storyline boring and predictable.

Matt is being quite insensitive to how his roommates want to live (this being said I think Roo was also quite harsh when she didn’t want Matt to decorate the apartment with some of his stuff).  I have read opposing opinions about whether Oscar or Matt are more or less mature than the other. But this storyline is highlighting how immature Matt can be. He loves Maddy but won’t clean or do other chores for their household? And when he does finally do it he does it wrong and they continue fighting. This can be seen as humorous but as it’s their first storyline as a couple I’m left disappointed. Hopefully I’ll change my mind once they get more challenging or emotional storylines.

At the moment though I just wish they had explored the characters backgrounds more, rather than another relationship merry go round. Matt has had storylines involving his father and sister, alcohol and since then little to do with anything other than women. I believe the writers could’ve explored his troubles with school more instead of this. On the other hand, Maddy has been in the bay longer and has been in love with Spencer, Josh, Oscar and now Matt. I believed she loved Spencer and Josh but this storyline has done little to prove that she loves Matt any more than she loved Oscar. In my opinion the writers could’ve naturally broken Oscar and Maddy up without hurting Oscar’s character and created storylines involving her nursing career. But we shall see what happens as the weeks pass.

Hmmm I kinda disagree. I.think.they have maintained their banter since becoming romantic. That loss of spark YOUR feeling. Is the build up.and hype is gone. But I think its unfair to say this storyline prooves she loves Matt as Much as Oscar. They gave M and O lot more time. Through Cancer, co dependence etc. Since M and M got together. Its been based on living arrangements. And been two weeks. So I think its a silly comparison. Her relationship with Spencer was different to Josh, to Oscar, now to Matt. I.think Kassandra has the beest chemistry with Alec. One could say they have just dated. Already slept together, already Said I love you, now shopping for their dream home. Ridiculous! Lol. One could say when your sure, your sure. And lifes short. I think for me Matt and Maddie was always going to happen since Matt appeared in 2014.

What I dont get about Oscar. Is he pretends to be genuine. Yet he cheated on Maddie. Yes Maddies feelings made him. But he still.acted on them with Asia. Matt and Maddie never did out of respect to Oscar. He even gave them permission in 2015 final. Yet now clearly hes not okay with them living together. Then maybe he needed more time.

As it is Maddie and Oscar never should of dated. Great as Friends and helped her alot. But it was one of co dependency. And its ran its course. With M and M I think THEY are more individuals. They had a friendship before. And theirs more chemistry their. Tbh im watching them and I dont see any difference between Matt and Oscar. Matt seems more sophisticated and romantic with Maddie then Oscar was. But hes actually been really lovely with her. I.actually understand why hes like that with Roo. Just started dating. And Roos kinda a third wheel. But at this stage Matt and Maddies only storyline is living arrangements.

So to early to gauge. Maybe just me but im enjoying Matt and Maddies living together. They are navigating the journey to Adult hood. And im enjoying this storyline. I can see why some find it predictable or boring. But thats just me. Evrty time they kiss tho, tons of spark. So not loss their.

But that's relationships ain't it? Ppl are into the build up the hype. Like Ross and Rachel. Well they or won't they? Suddenly they get together. Its not the same. Why? Reality. The transition. M and M are now in a relationship and becoming adults. Its not always go in to be thrilling lol. Jmo.

Edited by Luke39

As i said it's their first storyline and its disappointed me, but of course i'll continue watching and see what happens. It's only been a few weeks and i might grow to like them.But if i don't then thats fine too.

What will be interesting to see is whether this is a long lasting relationship. If they are constantly arguing in a way that impacts them both negatively of course i don't see it lasting. But if they are not impacted negatively by their arguments it may. Also, when they get meatier storylines that will test them even more as a couple. Time will tell.

But you say Oscar pretends to be genuine which i don't get. Everyone knows that cheating is wrong, but i never think of Oscar as non-genuine. To me some of his main qualities are that he is sweet and sincere, especially in his love of Maddy. He's also insecure and he shouldn't have cheated. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a genuine person with genuine feelings.

2 hours ago, KittCatt said:

As i said it's their first storyline and its disappointed me, but of course i'll continue watching and see what happens. It's only been a few weeks and i might grow to like them.But if i don't then thats fine too.

What will be interesting to see is whether this is a long lasting relationship. If they are constantly arguing in a way that impacts them both negatively of course i don't see it lasting. But if they are not impacted negatively by their arguments it may. Also, when they get meatier storylines that will test them even more as a couple. Time will tell.

But you say Oscar pretends to be genuine which i don't get. Everyone knows that cheating is wrong, but i never think of Oscar as non-genuine. To me some of his main qualities are that he is sweet and sincere, especially in his love of Maddy. He's also insecure and he shouldn't have cheated. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a genuine person with genuine feelings.

Let me paraphrase. I think hes a genuine guy . But some of his actions have not Been. Yes I preferred Mattady just took things slow. But well see where this heads. Im Laughing haha so that's something. Ive always liked the idea of Matt and Maddy. Because of their shared interests in music. So.while I.was initially disappointed how fast they rushed their relationship. Ive come to.accustomised to their almost fairytale romance. I already love them together. Now its too.soon to.see where its heading. But I think.the plan.is long term.

Edited by Luke39