"General Discussion" - rename

Slade

Hello Folks (Mods),

I probably should have posted this in the "Questions and Suggestions" area but I'm posting this here as this section of the forum is more active and I want this to be seen.

I have a request and I would be grateful if you could please consider it as this is something I've been meaning to ask for some time.

I watch the Home and Away episodes at UK pace and I frequently post in this part of the forum titled "General Discussion".  You know it's in the root section of the forum between "Bayside Diner" and "Australian Discussion".  It clearly says within the General Discussion Area "Non-spoiler discussion of UK / International episodes and storylines".  Note the part in bold.  However it doesn't seem to matter how many times the mods warn people or edit the posts with spoiler tags or even remove them altogether, people who follow at Australian pace frequently seem to post spoilers for those following at UK pace.  At first I thought this was because the posters in question don't seem to care about spoiling it for the UK viewers or simply because they can't be bothered to check the episodes and whilst I still think that's true in some cases I think that there are some posters that genuinely don't realise that this part of the forum is intended to be discussed at UK pace.  I'm wondering if those posters don't go to the top of the forum like I always do so don't see the sub-text below warning people that there are to be non-spoilers.  Perhaps when they see "General Discussion" they just assume it's related to anything to do with Home and Away.

To be blunt I am sick to my back teeth of this.  I often find it incredibly frustrating and unfair as a UK viewer to have to read spoilers in the UK part of the forum when I'm currently watching the episodes at UK pace.  I sometimes like the element of surprise and often don't want to know about things that are going to happen several weeks in advance.  I've lost count of the number of times, I've had to physically restrain myself from using certain words in response the posters in question.

I hope this isn't just me and there are other people who follow at UK pace who feel the same.

Anyway my request is that would it be possible to rename the "General Discussion" to maybe "UK Discussion" or something similar to try and help remove any ambiguity?

Thanks for listening.

Best regards.

I agree that it is extremely frustrating. We do act as quick as we can once something is spotted, but obviously there will be times where it's not quick enough to prevent spoiling things for people. I know there's been a big whopper of a spoiler posted in here this evening which was completely avoidable, and I've contacted the member in question - I imagine it's that one that finally prompted this thread.

Obviously Channel 5's decision to take unnecessary breaks have not helped with people keeping track of things, with the gap being around 2 months currently (and it doesn't look like they'll be catching much up over Christmas).

I think changing the whole forum to 'UK Discussion' will probably be a little much given that there are (rarely used admittedly) other country threads, plus the general discussions about the show - but I'll have a chat with the staff about the options we have.

In the meantime, I've added to the forum description to make it stand out a little more, and I've also added an additional announcement at the top of the forum - maybe that will turn out to be enough....

The other side to this debate is that for us non UK viewers, it is equally frustrating for us to be unable to post our current opinion in relevant threads because the thread is in the General Discussion forum.

The 'Are T he Current Producers' thread is one that springs to mind. More than once I have wished to post a current opinion in this thread and have been unable to. I also have 'inadvertently' put a spoiler in this thread while posting due to momentarily forgetting where the UK is at, whilst venting. For which I apologize.

However, the situation is equally frustrating for us.

Ftr, if I post in the NZ Discussion thread I am technically breaking the forum rules. Which leads to my suggestion.

Maybe a new general section is needed. At Australian pace. For discussion of more general matters without forcing us southern Hemisphere viewers to a. Keep track of UK pace every time we post, which is just annoying, and.

B. Allow us to discuss such issues at the relevant time for us.

I agree with this, but to be fair in regards to NZ viewers. I think I Am one of only 3 or 4 who are from NZ who watch the show and post regularly on this site. So I guess if I posted in the NZ thread currently we are 3 episodes behind Aussie pace. So I think UK are further behind.

I think the NZ thread used to have a subheading saying it may contain UK spoilers.This, of course, has gone now subheadings have gone: Possibly it needs to be reintroduced as part of the header?

I understand the frustration in being limited on what you can say, which has led to the Character Discussion forum, which started off UK pace, being changed to Oz pace.But spoilers tags do exist, and are a decent compromise in making a point while those who wish to avoid spoilers won't read those posts by accident.Also, there is already an Australian Discussion section and that is the place to start "general" threads at Oz pace, some of which do exist in there.(The discussion on the Importance of Continuity springs to mind.)

Yes I am obviously aware of the option to post in the AU's section. However, due to the weekly episode threads, I find other threads in this section tend to get very quickly buried. Maybe splitting the AU's section into weekly discussion and 'other' would help. Perhaps a sub forum.

However I do still think that it is the 'General Discussion' being at UK pace that causes the largely accidental oopses by some of us.

PS. I can never figure out how to do spoiler tags on my phone, which does contribute to the problem for me.

I'm an Aus viewer, and while i can see that it is annoying, i think the solution may lie in the splitting of this forum into a UK/ other country discussion and then a post 2000 discussion forum. I regularly visit and enjoy using the general discussion thread to talk about things that aren't spoilers but don't fit in the bayside diner thread. 

I agree that it is extremely frustrating. We do act as quick as we can once something is spotted, but obviously there will be times where it's not quick enough to prevent spoiling things for people. I know there's been a big whopper of a spoiler posted in here this evening which was completely avoidable, and I've contacted the member in question - I imagine it's that one that finally prompted this thread.

Obviously Channel 5's decision to take unnecessary breaks have not helped with people keeping track of things, with the gap being around 2 months currently (and it doesn't look like they'll be catching much up over Christmas).

I think changing the whole forum to 'UK Discussion' will probably be a little much given that there are (rarely used admittedly) other country threads, plus the general discussions about the show - but I'll have a chat with the staff about the options we have.

In the meantime, I've added to the forum description to make it stand out a little more, and I've also added an additional announcement at the top of the forum - maybe that will turn out to be enough....

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I appreciate that being a Mod you have to rely on people alerting you to the fact that there are spoilers and you can't be expected to man this site 24x7.  Thanks for looking at this and the changes made to the forum description.  I do wish the UK pace would be closer to the Aus Pace then this wouldn't be as much of a problem.  When they first started showing H & A on channel 5 they were a whole year behind.  Then I remember around the 2007 season when Johnny Cooper stabbed Sally we were around a week or so behind.

However I do still think that it is the 'General Discussion' being at UK pace that causes the largely accidental oopses by some of us.

AFAIA BTTB was originally a UK forum (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  The main site is at UK pace and the Australian section in the forums was specifically created for people following the show at Oz pace to segment any spoilers from UK followers.  So given that the forum was primarily UK IMO it's reasonable that the General Discussion be at UK pace.

I do think your suggestion about separating the weekly threads from the general ones in the Aus discussion is sound.  Alternatively if it's a topic of major interest it can be pinned.

Keep 'General Discussion' but create sub forums to discuss the various other topics ie UK Discussion, NZ Discussion, 'Other' Countries Discussion.    

What pace would 'General Discussion' be at?

Actually, I think I've got you TPMG you mean 'General Discussion' nothing in there and just the sub forums - Now that makes sense!

Archived