H&A to move to 7TWO?

dee123

If we're using Neighbours as the prototype, maybe this could be the best thing for Home and Away. Neighbours has only gotten better since it moved, and it might be because it's kind of "hidden" on a secondary channel. They've been pushing boundaries that Home and Away won't even approach.  If they put it in direct opposition to Neighbours though, which I suspect they will, because networks are jerks like that, I'm sticking with Neighbours. (And maybe watching Chris eps online.) 

Hey, I don't watch Neighbours anymore, but I'm curious as to something you said. You said Neighbours has been pushing boundaries. What do you mean by that? And could you give me an example please? Thanks :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly the gay thing. They've had at least six significant gay characters in the past few years. Two regulars at the moment. One who is an exotic dancer. They've also dealt with older people having relations, estranged children who actually behave like real people, long-term fostering/adoption not just done for convenience, the consequences of alcoholism, random violence, parental abuse, military ptsd, forced adoption,  debilitating injury, infidelity, etc, with significant follow through on the storylines. It just seems a lot freer than it used to be. I don't want to turn this into another H&A vs Neighbours thread though, I'm just saying that IF H&A moves, it could be a positive thing. 

Edited to add: with all this heavy and potentially controversial stuff going on, it also manages to remain HILARIOUS. Didn't want you thinking it was all doom and gloom! 

Two other things that come to mind are that Neighbours also has a regular disabled character in Paul and a regular child in Nell.For such a popular show HAA really could push things more then they do.There's more to life then never ending bed swapping.It's all felt rather meaningless in the last few years.Maybe a change of channel would be a good thing.It might not generate as many viewers but it likely will give them more leeway with content.

Mostly the gay thing. They've had at least six significant gay characters in the past few years. Two regulars at the moment. One who is an exotic dancer. They've also dealt with older people having relations, estranged children who actually behave like real people, long-term fostering/adoption not just done for convenience, the consequences of alcoholism, random violence, parental abuse, military ptsd, forced adoption,  debilitating injury, infidelity, etc, with significant follow through on the storylines. It just seems a lot freer than it used to be. I don't want to turn this into another H&A vs Neighbours thread though, I'm just saying that IF H&A moves, it could be a positive thing. 

Edited to add: with all this heavy and potentially controversial stuff going on, it also manages to remain HILARIOUS. Didn't want you thinking it was all doom and gloom! 

I agree, it would be fabulous if haa turned itself around and started tackling issues like that. Fingers crossed.  Don't want to rub salt in any potential wounds, but here in NZ, both shows are on the same channel, so no worries about a head to head.

My biggest issue with neighbours is not its writing or storylines, but rather its acting and scale of production.

I feel like when i sit down to watch a neighbours episode, i see growth and character development and they certainly explore diversity within the show, but some of the acting is atrocious. The guy who plays Nate (one of the gay guys) is cringeworthy in his scenes, and i even think the oldest Brennan brother could do with some work (although he's not too bad in the looks department). The cliffhangers and scale of accidents feels much bigger on home and away, and i put this down to the budget of neighbours.

Whilst i agree that the neighbours writing staff are superior in bring fresh, diverse new storylines to its audience, its always felt a bit budget to me. I think that this is probably best shown with Mark, the new gay exotic dancer, who i think is actually quite a good actor, but the actual exotic dancing scenes lack energy and extras, and feel a bit awkward to me. In Home and Away, they would go off set to film these scenes in an actual club and fit it out with heaps of people to enhance the atmosphere (just like they did with the Braxtons in Melbourne) nd make it much more realistic. I think scenes are much more visually pleasing on Home and Away, and the variety of sets that Home and Away uses, including an actual beach, make Summer bay more appealing to me. Having said that, the Neighbours team manage to push out something new for their audience every episode, which i am in awe of.

Overall, if the writing staff changed from Neighbours to Home and Away, i would be much happier, but for the moment, i will stick with Home and Away over neighbours, purely due to the acting ability of the cast and the size of the production.

And i just read the last bit about not wanting to turn this into a H&A vs Neighburs thread so feel free to ignore. I do agree with you on many levels though.

The show rated 677,000 on Thursday, it's in trouble. Last Thursday was 708,000. 7 won't put up with these kinds of numbers. If they slip below 600,000 get ready to see the show just after Bargain Hunt.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/09/seven-off-key-on-thursday.html

No, they will not. Major changes are needed, at the very least with the scheduling of the Thursday double episodes. The show needs to go back to five nights a week or only half a half hour episode on Thursday nights. 

I guess you got to ask a question is a very popular sport more important then a fictional tv show haha, probably seeing they are real people with real careers. I have always preferred Home and Away. I don't know it has always had more edge for me, and a dramatic edge. They seem to build cliffhangers a lot better, edge on the seat kinda thing. With Home and Away you have that lifestyle, and the famous beach. In Neighbors I don't know its on land lol, if that makes sense. Characterization at present is better in neighbours, but I agree at present the scale in acting is superior in H and a. But I think the original point was, moving H and A could be beneficial as it was with Neighbours. Got to understand though they are different shows, and in different formats. I also think H and A should have a larger rating then Neighbours, with all the drug and crime content, should be PG at best, Neighbours feels G to me. So the content to me is dictated by the rating, H and A has a different rating to Neighbours. Well Ratings ever be that strong, I mean under a million watch H and A, unless they drop under 600 k, I think they well be fine. I guess the question is, is it quality vs quantity. I think at this point most fans would prefer quality.

Archived