H&A in 1996, was it the end of an era or not?

Homeandawayfan.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On 09/11/2015, 04:55:47, early years fan said:

For myself the 1990's is probably the last time I watched the show regularly,  lost interest completely after that.  I do think it was the end of an era, and I have no interest in the modern day home and away.  Nothing is as good as the early years.  

I found 2000-2004 was also wonderful. It was like 1988-1997 all over again, 1998 and 1999 was when the show took a slight dip. I think 2005 was when H&A started to go a bit OTT.

Don Fisher, while I found him a man with many faults is still one of my fave ever characters. And in the early years episodes, coming soon:-

Spoiler

In February 1995, Donald has his 50th birthday.

yes I agree, no doubt fisher was a wonderful actor! and I thoroughly enjoyed his character in the show.

I really shouldn't pass judgement on the episodes post 1997 or so, when I stopped watching.  but I do think it is definitely OTT now.  Summer Bay isn't the quiet little backwater it once was,  I liked those times of the familiar settings of the bayside diner, alfs store, the beach house and pippa and michaels house with the foster kids. 

42 minutes ago, early years fan said:

yes I agree, no doubt fisher was a wonderful actor! and I thoroughly enjoyed his character in the show.

I really shouldn't pass judgement on the episodes post 1997 or so, when I stopped watching.  but I do think it is definitely OTT now.  Summer Bay isn't the quiet little backwater it once was,  I liked those times of the familiar settings of the bayside diner, alfs store, the beach house and pippa and michaels house with the foster kids. 

Summer Bay always was sunnier and more up to date than Ramsay Street but was a pretty quiet backwater. When H&A begun in Jan 1988 it made Neighbours look quite spartan and dull in comparison. Right from the off H&A had better teens, better locations and more interesting stories, a golden beach, school, lovely surrounding hills, surfers etc, a far cry from garden wars between Madge and Mrs Mangel and a few palm trees in the back yards of houses.

H&A does seem to be improving lately but it still does occasionally seem to have this "Getting watchable again, starting to tune in more, them back to default, another killing or drug war" and being let down again. Like last nights UK episode.

• 2 months later...

I always thought 1994 was the transitional year with not much happening and lots of characters arriving which lead up to 1995 and 1996. The only moments what saw the end of era were the deaths of Michael and Shane and Angel leaving. for me 1996 just carried on the golden years (which ended in 1997) 1998 was the next transitional year in my opinion 

Archived