H&A in 1996, was it the end of an era or not?

Homeandawayfan.

Someone once said recently that they think 1996 was the last good year for H&A. I suppose it is just a personal opinion as I think 2000-2005 was wonderful. I know the Shangel era was wrapped up and the show took time to recover but 2000 did see a turnaround for the show in my book.

Does anyone think 1996 was the last good year for H&A or was it much later, as some say it was about 2005 when we had the last good year of the show. I would say 2007/2008 was the last good period.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1988 was more realistic but actually watching 1988 episodes again I found H&A was not very realistic back then, while the show was funky and highly addictive, some of the storylines were tripe and nonsensical in terms of realism.

1996 was really in my book the end of an old era and it took time for the show to gear up and move forward which it began doing in about 1999.

I agree about 1988. I think originally the show was meant to be with a reasonable amount of fantasy, but had the feeling of realism since 1990. Personally I would like to see 1997-1999 because they're rarely discussed and must be better than 2010s with Perjanik's underscores, and still having the feeling of small community.

Re: "fantasy" the show always had a fantastic element, from the beginning with Floss predicting Frank's crash (right down to dreaming the number plate), of course there was Bobby's ghost, and that whole storyline with the ghost in the caravan park - anyone remember it kept saying "wait.. can you help me?"

1988 did show the everyday struggles of young foster children but it was always a show in Never Never Land with the Floss premonition stuff and the woeful Lance lottery win and characters taking 3 hour school breaks etc. I think the show was better written but I think rose tinted specs when it comes to realism.

1996 was a transitional year, out with the old and in with the new, out with Shangel, Michael and Damo, 4 major 1990s characters and in with Casey Mitchell distant relative of Grant and new youngsters such as Liam, Justine and Aaron, Vinnie and Joey. Then the new nuclear family the Nashes.

At first I was going to correct you that Damo left at the start of 1995, but then of course there were his recurring guest appearances which lasted into mid 1996 - and in some ways he was a better, more interesting character during these stints!

Casey Mitchell always reminded me of Bobby in some ways. I feel she had a lot more potential and although Liam and Stephanie were failures (soon to be replaced with Aaron and Justine), I felt Casey could have stayed on like Joey did.

Re: "fantasy" the show always had a fantastic element, from the beginning with Floss predicting Frank's crash (right down to dreaming the number plate), of course there was Bobby's ghost, and that whole storyline with the ghost in the caravan park - anyone remember it kept saying "wait.. can you help me?"

The whole Liam ghost thingy where they moved the caravan because was supposedly on a burial site and he heard a girl's voice...  I swear 1996 sometimes made me raise an eyebrow ala Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson during the height of his wrestling career! [smile]

And also Stephanie's Hallucinations and the attempted Excorcism on Casey had the show firmly in WTF territory but in a good way.

Archived