Darryl 'Brax' Braxton - Steve Peacocke

dncllpyk

Steve would say he was happy with the ending,  he can't very well say anything else it would sound like sour grapes on his part otherwise.

It is obvious he wont be back anytime soon,  but they have left an opening for him and who knows what may happen in about 12 months time or so.

• Like 1

^ funny thing is that Steve is actually happy with Brax's exit storyline, as he said its "bookend'' for his character.

Steve is far too respectful to say otherwise, regardless of his opinion. I'm sure he loved getting the opportunity to shoot some more action scenes. As for everything else... we will never really know! 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that ending could have satisfied anyone who has really loved the character. Wrongly convicted of a crime while helping a random new mate find his (at the time) unknown (and now psychotic) sister. And then forced into hiding because of a random grudge a random gaol inmate held against his random friend.

After all  obstacles that Brax has faced and overcome, it does not feel right that this Gunno guy was his ultimate undoing and the reason he lost everything. 

Edited by Fyn3
  • Like 3

I agree that Steve is too respectful, that's probably one of the reasons why he was producer's favorite. He's grateful that they gave him the opportunity, but they cashed in big time with his character as well. He said many times that he doesn't get involved in his characters storylines. In a way this is good thing as writers are there to write and actors to act, but at the end of the day the actors are people who know their characters the best. I wonder if this is his honest opinion about his exit- so far I haven't heard that anyone liked Brax's exit. There were actors who were not happy with their exit yet stayed on good terms with the producers.

Edited by Lila_Q

• 1 month later...

Slightly late on but Brax's departure is still a recent memory in the UK so thought I'd pen a few thoughts while trying not to go into rant mode.I think there were two extreme views on how Brax should leave: Many viewers were hoping for him to drive off into the sunset with his new family for a fresh start a la Heath, many others felt he should have been punished for his criminal lifestyle with either death or jail.What we got was a middle line that was going to please nobody but would probably get less abuse than one of the extremes: Brax remains a free man, but he loses his family and will have both sides of the law after him if they ever find out he's alive.I think at the end of the day Brax's fatal flaw was always his arrogant and a belief in his own invincibility that even losing two loved ones didn't entirely dispel: He did things that he knew could get him into trouble because he had confidence that he could get himself out of it.So he attacked and robbed Dean on a whim, for no real gain, and it resulted in him going to jail for murder.And once in there, he thought he could play both sides off against each other, dropping Gunno in it as a way of getting a transfer and then clearing his name, only to find he has no real plan, Gunno after his blood and, ultimately, another presumed death because he didn't think things through properly.

It feels something of an incomplete ending, one which can be revisited one way or the other (probably with either sunset or death) when the time comes for Ricky and Casey to make their own exit, since it's hard to imagine it'll be left with his family all thinking he's dead indefinitely.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I was never a big River Boys fan, but I liked Casey, and Heath was just kind of a lug, but I’ve always been sort of indifferent to Brax. I didn’t love him, and I didn’t despise him in the way that some people do. But there was something about him I just didn’t understand – something that stopped me from connecting with the character in any sort of way. But after Monday’s episode I’ve finally worked it out.

Brax’s main character trait is being selfish. 

His motivation, his reasons for doing anything are always about doing the thing that he wanted to do. He’d go after the baddies, seek revenge, get tied up in the wrong crowds, and then justify it all to himself that he was doing it for his friends, his family, his brothers. So Brax, himself, didn’t see it as selfish. He saw himself as a hero. (And that’s how the show wanted to paint him as well.)

He faked his death to keep Ricky and baby Casey safe, or at least, that’s what he told himself. But when he came to doing it alone, he couldn’t stay away. He made the choice to come back and see Ricky, which is a selfish thing to do. He did it because he didn’t think he’d done anything wrong. Didn’t think he deserved to be punished and be in jail, so concocted a plan to get out. Because, heaven forbid he actually had to deal with the consequences of his actions. Lets face it; he’s the reason Casey was killed. He was responsible for that and a whole bunch of other stuff that happened before and after that. But because he was “doing it for his family” it was okay to lie, to steal, to be violent. He was doing the “manly thing”, the “heroic” thing, and when the sh-t hit the fan, he could claim that he “didn’t mean for any of it to happen”, and he could “make it right” again.

If Brax was in jail, he was getting what he deserved. Yeah, he’d be away from his partner and son for twenty years, but it would be justified, and Brax couldn’t handle the thought of not being the hero. Of finally being taken down.

Ricky finally questioning, “Was it ever going to be different?” hits the nail on the head. Every time Heath or Casey or Kyle tried to get out, Brax would reel them back in. He’d be involved in one more deal, one more person he’d think had crossed him, and because he was the leader, they’d listen. Brax only ever saw it as “protecting” them. And it was interesting that in the episode Brax used the word “abusive” in order to re-but Ricky’s argument that he continually manipulated her and her love for him.  That he’s not “abusive”, he’s not that kind of guy, because an abusive man would never use that word so freely. When in actual fact, he is. He is exactly that guy.

Brax says he wanted Ricky to move on, but he couldn’t face the reality of her actually doing that, because then he couldn’t control her anymore. He selfishness comes to the forefront of everything when he decides its okay to come back and see her, despite the fact that he knows she’s seeing someone else. Instead of wanting the best life for his son, he wants him to be trapped in that River Boy circle that Casey (the first) grew up in. That Brax himself probably also grew up in. Where their dad was the boss, and when he was gone, Brax took over. If Brax is out there on his own, then he’s got no one to use. He’s powerless, without them, and he’s not prepared to face that. 

Long story short, I refuse to feel sorry for Brax, leaving on his own is exactly what he deserves. And I can’t help but feel like his selfish actions have continuously been masked as heroism, when in fact all he’s done is manipulate the people around him to get what he wanted.

And yet, I don’t hate him. I don’t want people to think that this post is an anti-Brax rant, because it isn’t. It’s me trying to work out a character’s motivations and if anything I finally see what is so interesting about him.

I think this is the most I’ve ever thought about Brax in his entire run of the show, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it all week and I’ve finally tried to put it into words as best I can.

• Like 5

Love Brax always have and am not the only one judging by the amount of comments on other forums, facebook, twitter etc. this forum has always been predominately anti Brax/Braxtons. Not saying he is in anyway perfect but then who is, I just feel he is always being demonised on here whereas others get away  with 'murder ' i.e. bus crash caused by somebody driving like an idiot who comes out of it as a 'saint' saving lives - no mention of the fatality, just think of the cry for blood there would have been  if that had been Brax driving - people on here would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered for far less.

As regards Caseys death,  had he told Brax  what was going on instead of trying to deal with things himself he would have  probably survived, Brax was always  prepared to defend his family regardless of the danger. By the way Jake Pirovic was brought into their lives by Heath when he took over running the River Boys from Brax and Hammer when Heath again smashed up his car for fun.

With regard to Ricky as Brax said she was no angel, she caused two of his brothers to be jailed, a split with Heath  and Brax getting  shot by Adam trying to get her back.  He thought so much of her he accepted her account of why she did things, and moved her in although it affected his relationship with Casey for a while. I suppose there again this would be classed as selfish by some and that he should have abandoned her.   In their latest discussion she said about how she had kept so many secrets for him, apart from him telling her about what happened with Johnny Barrett and Johnny being Caseys father also when he left town to hunt Sam down, cant think of anything else that was so secret.  If he was this selfish and abusive individual,  why would she push him into fathering her child?  possibly because she loved him, the same reason  he found he couldn't stay away from her now - I don't call that selfish. I felt Ricky never really grieved for him either,  the minute Kat said he was missing Ricky had him dead - Kyle was the one who said it was too early say that and was shouted down, surely most people would have kept hope alive a little  longer - but  within a matter of weeks she was off chasing after Nate, the fact that he was with  Kat didn't seem to bother her at all - now that is selfish in my book.

I still think she will possibly leave with Brax in a couple of months hopefully leaving the sleazy doc behind.  Nate and Ricky  have as much chemistry between them as a couple of ice cubes, and seeing him with little Casey is sickening.

Edited by KIMIF1

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Jen said:

I was never a big River Boys fan, but I liked Casey, and Heath was just kind of a lug, but I’ve always been sort of indifferent to Brax. I didn’t love him, and I didn’t despise him in the way that some people do. But there was something about him I just didn’t understand – something that stopped me from connecting with the character in any sort of way. But after Monday’s episode I’ve finally worked it out.

Brax’s main character trait is being selfish. 

His motivation, his reasons for doing anything are always about doing the thing that he wanted to do. He’d go after the baddies, seek revenge, get tied up in the wrong crowds, and then justify it all to himself that he was doing it for his friends, his family, his brothers. So Brax, himself, didn’t see it as selfish. He saw himself as a hero. (And that’s how the show wanted to paint him as well.)

He faked his death to keep Ricky and baby Casey safe, or at least, that’s what he told himself. But when he came to doing it alone, he couldn’t stay away. He made the choice to come back and see Ricky, which is a selfish thing to do. He did it because he didn’t think he’d done anything wrong. Didn’t think he deserved to be punished and be in jail, so concocted a plan to get out. Because, heaven forbid he actually had to deal with the consequences of his actions. Lets face it; he’s the reason Casey was killed. He was responsible for that and a whole bunch of other stuff that happened before and after that. But because he was “doing it for his family” it was okay to lie, to steal, to be violent. He was doing the “manly thing”, the “heroic” thing, and when the sh-t hit the fan, he could claim that he “didn’t mean for any of it to happen”, and he could “make it right” again.

If Brax was in jail, he was getting what he deserved. Yeah, he’d be away from his partner and son for twenty years, but it would be justified, and Brax couldn’t handle the thought of not being the hero. Of finally being taken down.

Ricky finally questioning, “Was it ever going to be different?” hits the nail on the head. Every time Heath or Casey or Kyle tried to get out, Brax would reel them back in. He’d be involved in one more deal, one more person he’d think had crossed him, and because he was the leader, they’d listen. Brax only ever saw it as “protecting” them. And it was interesting that in the episode Brax used the word “abusive” in order to re-but Ricky’s argument that he continually manipulated her and her love for him.  That he’s not “abusive”, he’s not that kind of guy, because an abusive man would never use that word so freely. When in actual fact, he is. He is exactly that guy.

Brax says he wanted Ricky to move on, but he couldn’t face the reality of her actually doing that, because then he couldn’t control her anymore. He selfishness comes to the forefront of everything when he decides its okay to come back and see her, despite the fact that he knows she’s seeing someone else. Instead of wanting the best life for his son, he wants him to be trapped in that River Boy circle that Casey (the first) grew up in. That Brax himself probably also grew up in. Where their dad was the boss, and when he was gone, Brax took over. If Brax is out there on his own, then he’s got no one to use. He’s powerless, without them, and he’s not prepared to face that. 

Long story short, I refuse to feel sorry for Brax, leaving on his own is exactly what he deserves. And I can’t help but feel like his selfish actions have continuously been masked as heroism, when in fact all he’s done is manipulate the people around him to get what he wanted.

And yet, I don’t hate him. I don’t want people to think that this post is an anti-Brax rant, because it isn’t. It’s me trying to work out a character’s motivations and if anything I finally see what is so interesting about him.

I think this is the most I’ve ever thought about Brax in his entire run of the show, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it all week and I’ve finally tried to put it into words as best I can.

Quite an interesting take on Brax and I think for the most he could be seen as selifish however I think this is a mistake from the writer's in him appearing this way, I think the writer's have always wanted to portray him as the hero I think a number of stories he'd do anything for his mates and family and that was the whole point of the river boys the whole brotherhood and being there for your mates no matter what and the whole coming from a bad area with a messed up family. I think a number of stories such as the helping Ash could be seen as selfish from the side of Ricky but I think the writer's have tried to show the lengths he would go for his friends.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KIMIF1 said:

Love Brax always have and am not the only one judging by the amount of comments on other forums, facebook, twitter etc. this forum has always been predominately anti Brax/Braxtons. Not saying he is in anyway perfect but then who is, I just feel he is always being demonised on here whereas others get away  with 'murder ' i.e. bus crash caused by somebody driving like an idiot who comes out of it as a 'saint' saving lives - no mention of the fatality, just think of the cry for blood there would have been  if that had been Brax driving - people on here would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered for far less.

As regards Caseys death,  had he told Brax  what was going on instead of trying to deal with things himself he would have  probably survived, Brax was always  prepared to defend his family regardless of the danger. By the way Jake Pirovic was brought into their lives by Heath when he took over running the River Boys from Brax and Hammer when Heath again smashed up his car for fun.

With regard to Ricky as Brax said she was no angel, she caused two of his brothers to be jailed, a split with Heath  and Brax getting  shot by Adam trying to get her back.  He thought so much of her he accepted her account of why she did things, and moved her in although it affected his relationship with Casey for a while. I suppose there again this would be classed as selfish by some and that he should have abandoned her.   In their latest discussion she said about how she had kept so many secrets for him, apart from him telling her about what happened with Johnny Barrett and Johnny being Caseys father also when he left town to hunt Sam down, cant think of anything else that was so secret.  If he was this selfish and abusive individual,  why would she push him into fathering her child?  possibly because she loved him, the same reason  he found he couldn't stay away from her now - I don't call that selfish. I felt Ricky never really grieved for him either,  the minute Kat said he was missing Ricky had him dead - Kyle was the one who said it was too early say that and was shouted down, surely most people would have kept hope alive a little  longer - but  within a matter of weeks she was off chasing after Nate, the fact that he was with  Kat didn't seem to bother her at all - now that is selfish in my book.

I still think she will possibly leave with Brax in a couple of months hopefully leaving the sleazy doc behind.  Nate and Ricky  have as much chemistry between them as a couple of ice cubes, and seeing him with little Casey is sickening.

Being a womanizer or sleezy in your opinion. Is worser then being a criminal? Leaving your So and kid to think you're dead? Oh but Ricky is selfish because she did what she was supposed to move on? Brax is the selfish one. After al that comes back and plays the hero card. And expects Ricky to fall into line. For the record it wasent matter of weeks. I remember months of her struggling to move on. Crying etc. So not sure where your getting her not grieving from. She deserved to be a man who respects and loves her a heck alot more then Brax did. Ricky and Brax imo don't get the happy ending. After all this. Brax needs to be in jail for twenty years. Its only fair. Im not anti brax. Just stating some facts. If anyone's the looser here its Nate.I just don't see how he's the villan here.

53 minutes ago, pembie said:

Brax is the selfish one but I don't remember Ricky ever being that upset that he might of been dead

Well I remember her crying and destroying her apt lol. I just remember her struggling to move on from Brax. Took her a while to get with Nate. I guess ppl grieve in different ways. I understand her free comment. Just the sense of danger, crime etc.