Darryl 'Brax' Braxton - Steve Peacocke

dncllpyk

I have to admit that I am getting slightly sick of some members on this forum constantly giving out about how the Braxtons seem to avoid being charged for any wrong doings that they may commit.

This is a soap opera. It is not real life.

And if every character was charged for every illegal thing that they did, there would be hardly any characters left in the show.

I wish people could just enjoy the show, and not constantly point out about how unlike the real world it is.

It's just a tv show! <_<

Agreed! Sometimes coming on her almost ruins the show for me :( I don't mind people having opinions against the Braxton's, but don't really see the point of posting loooong posts pointing out every little wrong doing.

Firstly, it's a tv show and if everyone was happy and perfect and full of sunshine, we wouldn't have a very good show.

Also, I fail to see how it is unrealistic that they do get away with stuff. In real-life, not everybody gets their comeupence for every bad thing they do. I don't know what it's like in Australia but in a lot of countries, the police are completely incompetent and criminals get away all the time. One thing I've always found unrealistic in soaps is that people always get caught out for everything.

Some people on here seem to think the cops on the show are supposed to be perfect, but really they are human-beings too. No-one's perfect, we all do bad things to varying degrees, but depending on your situation, you may be forced to do even worse things in order to survive.

I agree with you.

People are entitled to their opinions and certainly entitled to express them on the Forum but it is almost as if some people are trying to drown out any different opinion in long, repetitive posts which pretty much say the same thing over and over again.

Personally I believe that the show has in the past overdone the drug and crime storylines but I do think in recent times we have begun to see more of the back stories of the characters and why they behave as they do. For me this makes interesting character focussed television.

Personally I am not looking to be constantly taught moral or legal lessons in the television drama I watch. I am looking for reflections of life presented in a dramatic way.

I recall Coral Drouyn, former Script Producer on the show, saying at one stage that she saw television drama as "life with the boring bits cut out'. I tend to agree with her. For me constant scenarios with criminals being caught and made to pay for their crimes would be just as boring as criminals constantly getting away with criminal behaviour.

In the "real world" many people who commit crimes are never charged or convicted. People who come from low socio-economic backgrounds tend to be over represented in the criminal justice system and also tend to be more harshly treated by the system than those who come from more affluent backgrounds.

Life is not fair and people who come from the "wrong side of the tracks" often have very limited options.

Perhaps that's why they see crime as their only option.

I see far more posts proclaiming how amazing the Braxtons are. In fact the other posts are more of a response to the overwhelming guff praise that has been spouted about the brothers. I find it amazing that after two years of

'OMFG Heath is hot, I hope he doesn't go to jail LOL!!!!!11'

that a few different people expressing their own valid opinions about the RBs are called out on it.

Also, I fail to see how it is unrealistic that they do get away with stuff. In real-life, not everybody gets their comeupence for every bad thing they do. I don't know what it's like in Australia but in a lot of countries, the police are completely incompetent and criminals get away all the time. One thing I've always found unrealistic in soaps is that people always get caught out for everything.

Some people on here seem to think the cops on the show are supposed to be perfect, but really they are human-beings too. No-one's perfect, we all do bad things to varying degrees, but depending on your situation, you may be forced to do even worse things in order to survive.

No, but I would prefer that they receive at least some punishment, even if they don't ever show remorse for their actions. Harvey got community service and a $125k fine for corruption in council and yet Heath is a casual drug-dealer with only one night in a cell as far as I can remember. I think some of you need to remove the rose-tinted glasses.

Also I don't think it's really fair to tell viewers who aren't enjoying watching the Braxtons to switch off. As I've said before, if you don't like them, avoid those posts.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this feud between Brax and Danny will play out. No doubt it will go on for a while though. I hope Brax continues to talk to Nathalie during all of this. At least he is talking about it to someone. I am glad Brax got a new storyline, because the Hayley storyline was more a Liam/Hayley/drugs storyline. I am always happy to see Brax on my screen. :)

Yes because apparently all people who are a fan of the Braxton's are also illiterate (and therefore stupid, right?) Because it wouldn't actually be possible for us to find the characters and their storylines genuinely interesting without having some shallow-minded reason for wanting to watch them. I have not once seen anybody type like that on here, and very rarely do people state that they only like the Braxton's because they're hot. Most people have a perfectly valid reason for liking them, or at least seeing things from the characters perspective. You say that you are the ones being called out, but that is only because certain people post long repetitive posts about how much they hate the Braxtons, and guess what? Repeating the same thing over and over and not carrying the topic forward is against the rules - that is why they are being "called out." I wouldn't mind if people talked about their current storylines, but all people ever seem to go back to is that they USED to be drug dealers (Okay well Brax apparently still is, but Heath is seemingly on the straight and narrow.)

EDIT: If I remember correctly, Heath spent more than one night in jail.

Edited by alice93

I didn't say this was the type of view expressed by every fan of the Braxtons, but it's hardly inaccurate is it. Have you had a read of the Official H&A Facebook page?

Yes some members are repeating themselves with the hatred for Brax etc., but these types of posts are no more frequent than those detailing how wonderful the brothers are. See above.

Repeating the same thing over and over and not carrying the topic forward is against the rules - that is why they are being "called out."

Wait, that's my point! Why are repetitive posts that glorify the Braxtons allowed in the Spoiler threads, but repetitive posts that criticise them considered stalling the topic?

I wouldn't mind if people talked about their current storylines, but all people ever seem to go back to is that they USED to be drug dealers (Okay well Brax apparently still is, but Heath is seemingly on the straight and narrow.)

Yeah. Exactly. Heath is still dealing drugs, to Hayley for example. And from the sounds of it at Aus-pace, Brax is supporting his brothers by profiting from the misery of others too. What a top guy.

You were not "called out" because of your dislike of the Braxtons or their criminal activities and involvement with drug dealings. If you look back through the threads you will find numerous occasions where you and others have presented those views. There is no problem with this in fact it is what the Forum is about.

You were "called out" because of the long and repetitive nature of your posts which were seen as stating the same opinion over and over again often in the same words. They were also perceived to be aggressive and intimidatory.

Edited by john003au

I think one of the biggest problems with the Braxtons getting away with things is that it completely destroys any sense of drama or storytelling.If they commit a crime, who cares?They're not going to be punished, certainly not legally, and within a few weeks it'll all be forgotten so you might as well not watch.If characters actions fail to have consequences, and this seems to be a trait that is infecting a lot of characters, even those we're apparently meant to see as pure and innocent, then you're not telling a story, you're just showing a series of unconnected events.

Now, a show like that can work.If you're going to make a show unrealistic, then you need to remove it from the real world, set it in a fantasy world populated by people who would be unbearable in real life but make for great entertainment and watch their grotesque, over the top behaviour towards each other:American soaps have functioned that way for years and British drama series developed an amusing "so-bad-it's-good" sub-genre a few years back.And yes, you can do a show about noble criminals, who operate on a strict code of conduct and whose motives are easy to identify with, it's an idea as old as the Robin Hood legends and when done well, it works.But those aren't what any of us got into Home and Away for and I don't think they're the type of show that the production team are trying to make.

And it doesn't help that Brax is so continually unpleasant towards everyone he meets that it's pretty hard to accept him being allowed to do whatever he wants, no matter how morally repugnant, without censure.

Very well said. I've highlighted the main points I agree with above. This is the major gripe I have about the show at the moment, really its the problem I've had with the show since 2005 to varying degrees. The major lack of consistency. But its got terrible since the Braxtons arrived and since they are the current obsession, I see their introduction and the focus on trivialising their crime and irritating behaviour as the main culprit in 2011-2012. It makes the writers come up with tacky plots that are very repetitive and difficult to invest in.

See I also agree with Coral about drama being about 'life without the boring bits' - the thing is, Coral was an excellent character writer who gave the characters genuine and realistic responses to goings on (most of the time) and therefore we could accept that these characters were realistically facing what they were on screen and dealing with the aftermath as people do in life. She knew Summer Bay and how to write Home and Away as we knew it, but with lots of emotion, drama and light-hearted content.

The current writers don't write 'life without the boring bits' they write shallow characters and storylines (Imo) that don't mean anything or have any lasting or realistic consequences - Braxton is top of the list for me. Bianca is another example - I can't comment properly on the last few months, but the rape was pathetic. Swept under the carpet within a matter of episodes. Irene's cancer, brushed to the side because they cant be bothered giving an older character screen time. These sort of things irritate me which is why I have done what others are suggesting, switch off.

Edited by alexx

I think one of the biggest problems with the Braxtons getting away with things is that it completely destroys any sense of drama or storytelling.If they commit a crime, who cares?They're not going to be punished, certainly not legally, and within a few weeks it'll all be forgotten so you might as well not watch.If characters actions fail to have consequences, and this seems to be a trait that is infecting a lot of characters, even those we're apparently meant to see as pure and innocent, then you're not telling a story, you're just showing a series of unconnected events.

Now, a show like that can work.If you're going to make a show unrealistic, then you need to remove it from the real world, set it in a fantasy world populated by people who would be unbearable in real life but make for great entertainment and watch their grotesque, over the top behaviour towards each other:American soaps have functioned that way for years and British drama series developed an amusing "so-bad-it's-good" sub-genre a few years back.And yes, you can do a show about noble criminals, who operate on a strict code of conduct and whose motives are easy to identify with, it's an idea as old as the Robin Hood legends and when done well, it works.But those aren't what any of us got into Home and Away for and I don't think they're the type of show that the production team are trying to make.

And it doesn't help that Brax is so continually unpleasant towards everyone he meets that it's pretty hard to accept him being allowed to do whatever he wants, no matter how morally repugnant, without censure.

Very well said. I've highlighted the main points I agree with above. This is the major gripe I have about the show at the moment, really its the problem I've had with the show since 2005 to varying degrees. The major lack of consistency. But its got terrible since the Braxtons arrived and since they are the current obsession, I see their introduction and the focus on trivialising their crime and irritating behaviour as the main culprit in 2011-2012. It makes the writers come up with tacky plots that are very repetitive and difficult to invest in.

See I also agree with Coral about drama being about 'life without the boring bits' - the thing is, Coral was an excellent character writer who gave the characters genuine and realistic responses to goings on (most of the time) and therefore we could accept that these characters were realistically facing what they were on screen and dealing with the aftermath as people do in life. She knew Summer Bay and how to write Home and Away as we knew it, but with lots of emotion, drama and light-hearted content.

The current writers don't write 'life without the boring bits' they write shallow characters and storylines (Imo) that don't mean anything or have any lasting or realistic consequences - Braxton is top of the list for me. Bianca is another example - I can't comment properly on the last few months, but the rape was pathetic. Swept under the carpet within a matter of episodes. Irene's cancer, brushed to the side because they cant be bothered giving an older character screen time. These sort of things irritate me which is why I have done what others are suggesting, switch off.

I find some agreement with you both Alexx and RR1. I think the organisation of this storyline and the timing of the presentation of its parts has been poor. It's a shame because, as an examination of the type of counter culture which can grow up when social disadvantage prevents people accessing many of societies privileges, the Braxtons had real dramatic potential.

For me the back story of the Braxtons which would have helped us to understand them as characters was presented far too late in the development of the storyline. We've only just met Danny Braxton in the past few weeks and he is a major part of that back story. Without an understanding of his character and role much of what we've seen to this point is " a series of disconnected events".

I have some sympathy for those viewers who are tired of the pointless violence and crime. The back story which would have given the events point was simply not available to them.

On the up side it is being presented now. I hold out some hope that things will improve./

Edited by john003au

You were "called out" because of the long and repetitive nature of your posts which were seen as stating the same opinion over and over again often in the same words.

If you would read through my previous post carefully you would see my acknowledgement of this misunderstanding:

Why is it that more than one post in admiration of the Braxtons is acceptable, whereas more than one post critical of the Braxtons is considered repetitive? That's called double standards.

They were also perceived to be aggressive and intimidatory.

It's a shame that some members have been personally offended by my dislike of some television show characters. Please provide me with some specific examples where my posts have been 'agressive and intimidatory'.

Alexx, I always liked Coral's 1st year or so, the Sutherland's may have been slightly over-egged in it, but at least it was usually good character writing. It was however as if she only had one years worth of stories as late-2003 with storylines like The Dorm, cookies, Toby the cleaner, were all complete dross and it was also as if when trying to introduce the newer characters she tried too hard to make them interesting instead of making just good solid characters. That said, despite the initial personas of Robbie, Matilda and Kim being overplayed, at least they had characters.

I think however that some of us long terms fans, and there seems to be quite a large group of us will just keep on saying how much we dislike them and the current show because we like the show (or what the show once was) too much to simply give up and let this Braxton dross drive the show into the ground.

And they do say the pen (or in this case the keyboard) is mightier than the sword.