Life Goes ON

SammyF

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanyou for the reviews! 

Chapter Eighteen

"Aww getting some practice are you?" Cece cooed as soon as she saw Phoebe sitting with Kyle in a booth with Casey in his lap. She and Chris had decided to head to Angelos for some lunch, after being bored all morning.

"What?" Kyle looked up at her confused.

Phoebe looked at her with wide eyes and shook her head slowly. Cece's mouth dropped open, upon realising that she hadn't told Kyle.

"Uh, um. I…Practise for, you know…Um…Do you guys sell burgers here?" She tried to subtly change the subject.

Kyle frowned. "Yeah, you had one yesterday?"

"Oh that's right! Yeah, probably shouldn't have another then. Although I kind of feel like one. It doesn't count if I eat a burger from the diner does it? Different place, different day, you know all that?" Cece rambled.

Phoebe was glaring at her, which was ironic considering how bad she was at keeping secrets herself.

Kyle looked at her, with a perplexed looked on his face. "Are you okay Luce? What have you eaten today?"

"Only good stuff. I promise, but I am going to get a burger from the diner. With Chris. Phoebe, do you want to join us?" Cece looked Phoebe directly in the eye.

"No thankyou. I'm good here, it's probably about to get busy anyway." Phoebe declined. Cece glanced around the restaurant, it seemed relatively empty.

"No seriously, join us. Chris's shout."

"What? Since when?" Chris interjected. Cece stepped on his foot. "I mean, yeah come on Phoebs."

Phoebe didn't move. "Come on Phoebe." Cece forced a smile. "You don't mind Kyle, if we borrow your girlfriend?"

"Um" Kyle started.

"Phoebe if you really don't want to come with us, it's fine. We can stay here and chat instead." Cece's voice had an almost-threatening tone to it.

Phoebe's eyes widened again. "No. A burger sounds great. Now?" She jumped up.

"Yep. Bye Kyle! Come on Chris," She grabbed the latter by the hand and dragged him out of the restaurant, with Phoebe trailing behind. Kyle watched them leave, confusion written all over his face.

As soon as Cece stepped out of the Surf Club she spun around. "You haven't told him!"

Phoebe glanced down but didn't respond, allowing Chris the chance to interject. "What's going on?"

Cece glanced at Phoebe and raised an eyebrow, "Do you want to tell him?"

Chris looked between the two girls confused. His eyes widened, "Phoebe! Look, I know I'm irresistible but I'm not looking for anything serious, you'd be better off staying with Kyle. At least for now."

Phoebe and Cece both looked at him.

"What?" Phoebe demanded.

"You're into me. Look I get it," Chris told her.

"What? No. Gross." She said. Chris looked taken aback by her words, almost insulted.

"Well it's not like we haven't before..." Chris trailed off.

"What?" Cece demanded. "Ew. You and Phoebe? Oh my god, seriously? Gross."

Phoebe ran a hand through her hair, "No. Chris. It's not that, it will literally never be that. Ever." She looked at Cece, "Okay, I haven't told him. I just...I don't know, alright?"

Chris who was still confused looked between the girls.

"Phoebe, he deserves to know. He needs to know." Cece told her.

Phoebe shook her head. "I know okay? I just need to get my head around it. So just, please don't tell him."

"He's going to be a father." Chris's eyes widened at the revelation. "He would want to be there for you."

"But is he? I'm not sure." Phoebe said quietly.

"Phoebe, don't you think that this is something you should be talking about with Kyle." Cece asked her softly. She could tell this was cutting Phoebe up and she was trying to be as understanding as possible about it but she really thought that Kyle should know.

"Ummm" Chris suddenly said. "I might go and see Irene at the diner." He thought it might be best to leave the two to talk.

Cece nodded, watching as Chris quickly headed away from the two. "Chris," She called out. "Do not say, anything!" Chris nodded.

"Phoebe..." Cece looked at her sympathetically. "Do you know how far along you are?"

Phoebe looked at her and shrugged hopelessly.

"Why don't I go with you to the hospital?" Cece offered.

Phoebe's eyes widened. "No. I can't. Someone will see me."

Cece pursed her lips, Phoebe was obviously very scared. She pulled her phone out of her pocket, checking the time.

"Okay. Let's go." She said.

Phoebe didn't take a step. "Where are we going?"

"If we leave now, we can make it to the city before 2 and you can go to a hospital there."

Phoebe swallowed heavily and glanced back at the Surf Club before nodding. "Okay."

"Where's Phoebs?" Ricky asked looking around the living room.

"I have no idea. She's not answering my calls, or texts. She went to the diner with Cece and Chris at lunch but I haven't heard from her since."

"With Cece?" Ricky asked curiously, taking a seat.

Kyle nodded, understanding what Ricky was referring to. "Weird I know." He paused, "Rick, we haven't really spoken in a long time."

"Yeah we have." Kyle looked at her. "Kyle, I'm fine. I promise alright, I'm sad. And I'm grieving but I'm doing alright, and I'm looking after Case and you know, everything's kind of alright."

Kyle understood what she meant, "Yeah it is."

"How're you and Phoebe?" Ricky asked, Kyle was right, while they lived and worked together they really hadn't caught up on each other's lives in quite a long time.

"We're good." Kyle smiled at the thought of his girlfriend.

"I don't meant to be nosey but what are you both going to do? You know, down the track?" She asked him curiously.

Kyle looked her in the eye, "I have no idea. But I know that I love her, more than anything."

Ricky smiled at his words, "That's sweet Kyle. But you can't give up everything you've ever wanted."

"Ricky, I feel like I've known her my entire life. I don't think I've ever, nor will I ever, connected with another human the way I do with her. When I look into her eyes, I feel love and a sudden sense of hope. She gives me hope. She makes things okay. No-one else in this world can do that for me but her. She's special." Kyle told her seriously.

Ricky smiled softly, watching as Kyle's eyes twinkled as he spoke about Phoebe. "Then why are you sitting here? Go find her?"

Kyle smiled, "I might actually do that. See you later Rick." He smiled and walked out the door.

Ricky watched him go, she was happy for him. Happy that Kyle was happy, but still she couldn't help but feel a little bit sad, that she couldn't have, what Kyle had with Phoebe, with Brax.

"Alright Miss Nicholson, so your blood tests show that you are," The doctor read from the clipboard, "Just past 8 weeks."

Phoebe's eyes widened, "Eight weeks? How did I not realise?"

Cece didn't comment, however the number of weeks did make her frown. Phoebe and Kyle got back together on his birthday, and that wasn't eight weeks ago.

"Sometimes life just gets busy and expectant mothers just don't notice any symptoms. You're quite small, and any signs of a bump could easily be mistaken for bloating." The doctor told her motioning to Phoebe's stomach.

"Would you like to see if we can hear the heartbeat?" The doctor offered.

Phoebe glanced towards Cece who was seated next to the bed Phoebe was sitting on.

"Can you do that?" In all honesty Phoebe didn't know anything about being pregnant, any knowledge she did have was from Ricky and even still she didn't know much.

"We can try." The doctor smiled at her, "In fact we can perform an ultrasound if you'd like. There's a possibility you won't see anything clear yet though."

"Um. Okay?" Phoebe said unsure. She still wasn't sure if she wanted to keep the baby, but having an ultrasound couldn't hurt right?

"Alrighty, if you'd roll up your shirt for me, and lie back and relax. We'll see what we can do." Phoebe smiled nervously and followed her instructions.

Phoebe cringed slightly at the coolness of the gel that the doctor was applying to her midriff. After a few minutes, a steady heartbeat sounded through the hospital room.

Phoebe gasped at the sound. "That's my baby?"

The doctor nodded. "It is."

Phoebe glanced at Cece. "That's my baby."

Cece smiled at her and nodded, she could see Phoebe's eyes watering. "It's your baby."

"And here we have," The doctor switched on the monitor so that Phoebe could see the ultrasound. The doctor paused as she looked at the screen. "Alright so it's early days, and it's a little challenging to tell but it looks like this," she pointed to what Cece only thought was a blob. "Is the head and down here is the body."

Cece glanced at Phoebe who hadn't said anything, she had tears streaming down her face but she was smiling.

"Phoebe?"

"That's mine and Kyle's baby. It's a little human." She told the other two eventually.

The doctor chuckled lightly, "Would you like a print out?"

Phoebe nodded quickly.

"Aright well I'll get that organised and when you're ready pick it up from reception on your way out." The doctor told her, passing her a cloth to clean the gel off her skin.

When Phoebe was ready they made their way to the reception, where Cece noticed Phoebe hadn't stopped smiling.

"Phoebe? Have you decided what you're going to do?" She asked, although she had an idea of what her answer would be.

Phoebe nodded. "Yeah." She smiled. "I'm going to tell Kyle that he's going to be a daddy."

Cece smiled at excitement in Phoebe's tone. It wasn't that long ago, that Phoebe's tone sounded nothing but scared and fearful.

Later when the two were almost back in Summer Bay, Phoebe took her eyes off the road to look at Cece. "Thankyou for coming with me."

Cece smiled, "It's okay. I'm just glad, you're not scared anymore."

Phoebe smiled at her gratefully.

After a moment of silence Cece spoke again. "There's just one thing." Phoebe raised an eyebrow. "You're eight weeks. And I know it's counted from your last cycle or whatever but you and Kyle didn't get back together until his birthday and that was just over a month ago…"

Phoebe smirked lightly, "Yeah. But we um, we may have been together before we official again…" She trailed off, laughing slightly at the face Cece was pulling.

"Ew. But you're a hundred percent positive it's Kyle's?" Cece would normally say something like that to Phoebe to intentionally annoy her but this time she actually didn't mean to insult her and Phoebe knew that.

"Yes."

"Kyle's going to be literally over the moon." Cece told her softly.

Phoebe nodded her head agreeing, she smiled as she thought about her boyfriend. "I'm going to wait until tomorrow to tell him. I want to make it really special." Phoebe couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she thought of all the ways she could tell Kyle about the baby. If you asked her two days ago, if she would ever have a baby the answer would have been no. She'd always thought she'd just have a termination if she were to ever get pregnant and this morning she'd been so conflicted but now? Now, she knew exactly what she wanted. 

Great chapter 

I hope Chris doesn't let the secret out.

glad Cece went with Phoebe to get a ultrasound.

I have a feeling the baby isn't Kyle's.

I look forward to more.

Update again soon :)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the baby is Kyle's. He deserves to be a dad. All he's ever wanted was a family. He always gets such a raw deal, always losing the people he loves.  I love the way you've written him here. Its very true to his character in the show. Looking forward to the next update :-)

Archived