New look forum!

Chris J

Really like the new look forum. All topics are easily accessible.

I particularly like the layout of the profile page, has a nice fresh feel to it.

Well done to Chris J, Dan F, and the other site Admins, you have really given the forum an updated new look which is also user friendly, thumbs up from me. :)

Thanks for the updates Chris/Dan and for answering everybody's questions so far.

I have several of my own - don't know whether this is just me (Sorry to be a pain in advance):

1. The Search facility doesn't seem to work properly.  If you run the default settings without any filters it sometimes brings back old results.  If you try specifying some terms in the General discussion area e.g. 'Sophie', 'Maddie', 'Alf', 'Irene' (all separate searches without the quotes) it throws up an error or comes back with no results.  Am I doing something wrong?

2. Can't find the option to preview the post before actually posting it.  Is this gone now?

3. The avatars seem to displayed at a lower resolution than previously.  Do the images need to be re-uploaded?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's great to see that most people are really happy with the new look :) Keep any feedback coming, it's all appreciated.

Addressing some of the issues: 

I notice in recent months there seems to be a proliferation of hyph-

enation in text displayed on web pages, like what happens in print art-

icles such as newspapers. Unfortunately, this "feature" has already crept into this forum, like in the profile inf-

ormation that appears under some people's avatars. I can't find a way to switch off hyphenation in Safari.

​Took me a while to work this one out, as it doesn't happen in Chrome - but I did find it happening in Safari. I've disabled it, so let me know if you still see it happening everywhere!

Is there any way to get rid of the ad that now appears under the first post on every page? 

​There isn't at the moment, but there's nothing to say they'll be staying as they are. I'll be testing out the ads over the next couple of weeks to see how well they perform, and the whole forum needs to be styled to make it more BTTB-esque, so the ads may change or move around then anyway.

2. Can't find the option to preview the post before actually posting it.  Is this gone now?​

It does indeed seem to be gone, which is a shame. Their rationale is that the post window is now fully 'WYSIWYG' (What you see is what you get), so you should be able to see (almost) exactly what your post is going to look like directly from the post window. Obviously this isn't 100% the case if you're using things like BBCode (e.g. [ b ]tags[/ b ] around your content), and I'll try and encourage the makers of the software to add the feature back in, but it's possible they won't want to do so :( 

3. The avatars seem to displayed at a lower resolution than previously.  Do the images need to be re-uploaded?

Yep, they're indeed displaying at a lower resolution. I've discovered what's causing that issue, and will look into getting it fixed as soon as I can. Re-uploading the images most likely won't make any difference, so hold off on doing that and I'll update you as soon as I can :)​

1. The Search facility doesn't seem to work properly.  If you run the default settings without any filters it sometimes brings back old results.  If you try specifying some terms in the General discussion area e.g. 'Sophie', 'Maddie', 'Alf', 'Irene' (all separate searches without the quotes) it throws up an error or comes back with no results.  Am I doing something wrong?

For the old results issue, it's trying to bring you relevant results regardless of how old they are, so setting filters to show posts from the last week, month, etc should help you there.

As for the error / no results, well spotted, that's definitely broken - I'll report that as a bug with Invision support and get back to you!