New look forum!

Chris J

This may take some of you by surprise, especially the longer-term members, but welcome to the new forum!

We've upgraded to the latest version of Invision Board, the software that has powered the Back to the Bay Forum since it first launched over a decade ago. Visually, it's quite a change from the previous design, but at its heart it's the same software you've grown to hopefully love.

It has a much cleaner, clearer design, and works smoothly across mobile phones, tablets and desktops. The mobile version of the forum is now fully functional, rather than the very limited mobile site we previously had.

I'm not going to go into a massive amount of detail on the change, as fundamentally things should work the same as they did previously, and I want to let you discover some of the changes yourself. So have a look around and please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything missing, if you come across any bugs, or if there are any new features you've discovered that you really love!

It'll be evolving over time, based on your feedback, and we'll keep you up to date with any changes here.

Finally, the theme is the default one that came with the software, and it'll be customised to make it more BTTB-esque over the coming weeks.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Speed

I'm aware that the forum is currently quite slow - there is still a lot going on in the background to rebuild the forum's 1 million+ posts, so it may be quite slow until that's all complete. Until that point, all old quotes will be broken.

Login issues

You'll need to re-log into the forum. There shouldn't be any issues, but there have been a couple of changes to the way user logins work in the background, so it's hard to be 100% sure that things will go completely smoothly. I've enabled guest posting in this forum, so if you're unable to log in, please post in here and let me know the issue.

Topic descriptions

These are currently gone, but we're hoping to bring them back asap.

Edited by Chris J

I notice in recent months there seems to be a proliferation of hyph-

enation in text displayed on web pages, like what happens in print art-

icles such as newspapers. Unfortunately, this "feature" has already crept into this forum, like in the profile inf-

ormation that appears under some people's avatars. I can't find a way to switch off hyphenation in Safari.

There obviously is a new feature when linking to forum threads which might need a bit of tweaking for those that have them in signatures.

Pasting a straight link to a forum thread will post a preview of the thread/post, like below:

The way to get around this is to not paste the link directly into the post, but to use a hyperlink.

Type out whatever text you want, then highlight it and click the Link icon in the toolbar (to the right of the underline button). Then paste the link into the box that pops up which will turn it into clickable text as below.

Link to Forum thread

Incidentally, signatures can now be changed by going to 'Account Settings' rather then your profile.

Edited by Dan F

I'm having trouble finding where I need to go to fix up my signature. Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Is there any way to get rid of the ad that now appears under the first post on every page? 

I think this new lay out  looks great. However, I would like to reduce the number of posts per page rather than go with current default setting which seems to be well over 20. I can't seem to find where to do this as the settings menu is different from that of the old one. Is it possible or am I being dense and missing the obvious links? Thanks. x 

I'm having trouble finding where I need to go to fix up my signature. Can someone point me in the right direction? 

It's in Account Settings now​

I think this new lay out  looks great. However, I would like to reduce the number of posts per page rather than go with current default setting which seems to be well over 20. I can't seem to find where to do this as the settings menu is different from that of the old one. Is it possible or am I being dense and missing the obvious links? Thanks. x

Yes the topic options do appear to have gone walkabouts, I've now set it back to 10 like the old forum for the time being :wink:

It took me a while but 'Activity Stream' is the replacement for View New Posts. Looks much better on mobile than the old version.

​There is the View New Content button with the star next to it as well as the Activity Stream, the former has quite a few settings that can be configured whereas the stream is just simpler one

• Like 1