1994 Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CaptainHulk, when Big Floppy Dick Paul appears in 1995 as the Summer Bay Stalker terrorising Shane & Angel, all we hear about his come-uppance was that last we hear of him he was down at the police station, after Shannon rescued Angel and Dylan. We hear NOTHING about his sex with an underage girl (he gets away with that, scot-free), it seems to be a common theme in soaps all round that when underage or other illicit sex leads to pregnancy, it seems to be automatically forgiven and forgotten, like the audience is not far above still believing babies are delivered in cabbage patches or storks.

By the way, you will notice than Anne Harris (who Angel keeps referring to as "Mrs Harris") will look a lot like Alison Page in Prisoner.

Well, Angel never reported him and even if she did, his old crone of a mother would have the best legal team in NSW to help him weasel out of any charges as the Harrises are proper minted by all accounts.

Much like the site's description of the 1993 credits (torn paper? :unsure:) I think the description on the 1994 page is a little off. Surely the shapes are suns, not stars? And there is no mention of the cool surfboard designs for the character credit shots.

1994n.jpg

Interestingly Alf and Ailsa's shot is a little different to all the others. It's the only one to have the names side by side, seperated by a little sun in the middle. Looks like this went on to influence the 1995 style.

1994e.jpgcredit8.jpg

Also I'm pretty sure I remember Shane and Angel getting 2nd billing in 1994. I think they must swap place with Alf and Ailsa somewhere along the line.

Edit: Yup, I just checked. In this video, it goes Pippa+Michael, then Shane+Angel, then Alf and Ailsa. They must have got bumped up when Shane and Angel were going global. Also, the opening shot randomly changes to one of the lighthouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtdLbKbmBZw

The 1994 credits page is one that hasn't been touched since it's creation over 15 years ago, by one of the sites we inherited which did have some rather dodgy bits here and there :P

I have had HQ images for (some of) 1994 for a while but it's one of those things that I haven't got around to yet. It'll be updated in the near future but all concentration is on the revamp at the moment.

What I don't get about Irene is that Nathan can do no wrong in her eyes she thinks the sun shines out of his ass. Yet Damian does something wrong and comes down on him like a ton of bricks. Damian the good son who has been led astray by both Shane and now Nathan and Nathan the criminal/bad egg yet she seems to favour Nathan over Damian

I always found it funny how annoyed Don looked in the respective 1990 and 1994 shots (post-Celia and post-Nick). He must have been pissed at the fact his credits partner left him... again!

Alf and Ailsa's fishing and beer for him/wine for her couples shots never really changed throughout their time together, did they?

Made it up to 1380! That's the first time I've ever seen anything like a full explanation for what happened with Angel, Dylan and the Harrises.I remember wondering if she was meant to have lived with them until she had the baby and then they kicked her out on the streets, which seemed harsh.Turns out I gave them too much credit:They left her on the streets while she was pregnant, then took the baby.Sadly, my head hit the desk in frustration the moment Angel said "I ended up on the streets."For pity's sake, that's at least the third explanation for how she ended up on the streets, I think we get a fourth in a few months, and the previous explanation, that it was because she was suspected of burning down her school, was mentioned in the previous episode.So what, she didn't get on with her mother, she was suspected of arson and she was pregnant?! Continuity on this show is a total joke at times, I'm not even sure the dates match (she seemed to have only been homeless a few months when we first met her, not two years), meaning the pregnancy could easily have fitted in in the period when she was living with her mother, being young and scared and having no family support would be an understandable reason for giving Dylan away to what she thought would be a better life, but no, they have to overdo it by making her homeless as well.Okay, rant over.With regarding the legal situation, while Paul broke the law, if he was only in school himself and possibly under 18, I doubt he'd have gone to jail if convicted, courts are often lenient if there's not much of an age gap.Anyway, I kind of understood where Shane was coming from (it hurts to be lied to about something that important and he seemed to be thinking of his own childhood with absentee parents and thinking Angel was even worse), but he took it too far.Don's quiet support of Angel was lovely and underlined the bond between them.Ooh, and Sally/Angel scenes!Always worth mentioning.

So, the abrupt end of Sarah and Nathan's not-quite-intimate encounter.I do think if Alf and Irene's positions had been reversed they'd have behaved the same way: Alf would have been spitting feathers if Duncan got punched by a protective father, Irene would have gone for anyone who she thought was taking advantage of Fin or one of her later charges.I can't tell just how sincere Nathan is: Is he really going to this much effort with Sarah out of pride and wanting to prove he can have any girl he wants?Damian's slow transformation into a mini-Nathan, to the point of joining him in sneering at Fin, is frustrating.

James and Roxy are getting a bit serious a bit quickly but Luke's just making himself look like the bad guy and needs to wind his head in.Some nice playing with how much we're willing to trust Roy.

Irene on the opening titles! Where she'll stay until the cast shots get dropped in 2008. And Adam off them, for the first time since 1989...

I always found it funny how annoyed Don looked in the respective 1990 and 1994 shots (post-Celia and post-Nick). He must have been pissed at the fact his credits partner left him... again!

Alf and Ailsa's fishing and beer for him/wine for her couples shots never really changed throughout their time together, did they?

In 1995 it's the other way round for Don. He starts off on his own, then is joined by Sam later (when Rob leaves).

Alf and Ailsa's 1995 shot is almost an exact replica of their 1988 shot, right down to Ailsa grimacing over Alf drinking straight from the can.

Made it up to 1380! That's the first time I've ever seen anything like a full explanation for what happened with Angel, Dylan and the Harrises.I remember wondering if she was meant to have lived with them until she had the baby and then they kicked her out on the streets, which seemed harsh.Turns out I gave them too much credit:They left her on the streets while she was pregnant, then took the baby.Sadly, my head hit the desk in frustration the moment Angel said "I ended up on the streets."For pity's sake, that's at least the third explanation for how she ended up on the streets, I think we get a fourth in a few months, and the previous explanation, that it was because she was suspected of burning down her school, was mentioned in the previous episode.So what, she didn't get on with her mother, she was suspected of arson and she was pregnant?! Continuity on this show is a total joke at times, I'm not even sure the dates match (she seemed to have only been homeless a few months when we first met her, not two years), meaning the pregnancy could easily have fitted in in the period when she was living with her mother, being young and scared and having no family support would be an understandable reason for giving Dylan away to what she thought would be a better life, but no, they have to overdo it by making her homeless as well.Okay, rant over.With regarding the legal situation, while Paul broke the law, if he was only in school himself and possibly under 18, I doubt he'd have gone to jail if convicted, courts are often lenient if there's not much of an age gap.Anyway, I kind of understood where Shane was coming from (it hurts to be lied to about something that important and he seemed to be thinking of his own childhood with absentee parents and thinking Angel was even worse), but he took it too far.Don's quiet support of Angel was lovely and underlined the bond between them.Ooh, and Sally/Angel scenes!Always worth mentioning.

So, the abrupt end of Sarah and Nathan's not-quite-intimate encounter.I do think if Alf and Irene's positions had been reversed they'd have behaved the same way: Alf would have been spitting feathers if Duncan got punched by a protective father, Irene would have gone for anyone who she thought was taking advantage of Fin or one of her later charges.

I agree, had Rhys beaten up Duncan (Though By 2001, he deserved a beating on Principle) for trying to get into Jade's Knickers, Alf'd have wanted to skin him alive!

And yeah, I saw you stick the boot into the continuity elsewhere but you have a point. The writers really need to keep their stories straight.

Archived