1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Right back to 1992. I am really liking Meg and Blake at the moment. Its a good storyline for the show and its not proving to be too sweet.

However the story with Alf and Julie is getting on my nerves a little. Why would Alf cheat???

Those photos of Carly and Ben and the Baby. I wondered if they did those before the actors left in 1991.

So Sophie has returned. But Lou needs to leave Sophie alone. No wonder she ran away. However hopefully Sophie can now cope with Michael and Pippa's Support.

So Bobby and Greg are getting married. Will they live happily ever after

No because Greg cheats on her, Bobby is killed in a boating accident and Sam is just abandoned by Greg

Right back to 1992. I am really liking Meg and Blake at the moment. Its a good storyline for the show and its not proving to be too sweet.

However the story with Alf and Julie is getting on my nerves a little. Why would Alf cheat???

Those photos of Carly and Ben and the Baby. I wondered if they did those before the actors left in 1991.

So Sophie has returned. But Lou needs to leave Sophie alone. No wonder she ran away. However hopefully Sophie can now cope with Michael and Pippa's Support.

No because Greg cheats on her, Bobby is killed in a boating accident and Sam is just abandoned by Greg

Do Bobby and Greg make up before she dies?

They make up shortly before the accident, like an episode or 2 before.

I liked Michael's chat with Sophie. His promise to step up and give her his full support from now on was heartfelt and very touching, and something that will continue to be focussed on, most notably when Michael helps Sophie give birth.

Pippa wanting to keep Michael away from Sophie while she rests was reminiscent of her wanting to keep Sally away after she found out about David's death. In both cases she was wrong. It is also reminiscent of Pippa trying to keep Michael away from Sally after she returns from running away in 1995, which is a major factor in their marraige breakdown - that Pippa overrides all Michael's decisions in the family. The seeds of this are already starting to show.

Julia/Meg/Blake storyline is going ahead nicely. Julia is asking a lot of Alf, getting him to tell Blake to stay away but without explaining to Blake the reasons why. It is little wonder Blake doesn't understand. I wouldn't. Julia comes across as very harsh and protective, but then there's always a heartbreaking reason behind it (like the conversation where she said Meg could never have a proper relationship because it wouldn't be fair on Blake). It's just a very sad situation all round.

I wasn't convinced at first by Julia's claim she was thinking about Blake as well but after that chat with Meg I think she's sincere.The fact that Bobby and Marilyn are being such utter cows towards her without her having done anything to deserve it helps to get the sympathy vote.Bobby in particular is showing a rather nasty side to pretty much everyone at the moment:I know she's gone down in history as an icon but I knew people at the time who didn't like her and storylines like this kind of show why.

Nice that Simon got to redeem himself, not that he really did anything to redeem, by bringing Sophie home.Shame he and Adam got abruptly dropped when the storyline began focusing on the Rosses. I'm not sure Lou deserved the serve Michael gave her but I guess he needed to show his support to Sophie somehow.The moment where she finally seems to accept that he's on her side was incredibly touching and it's a relief we finally seem to have seen the end of her paranoia.Surprised that she decided to go back to school, wonder how long that will last.

Bobby is being a cow right now but I'm glad, because her hasty judgements and moodiness are part of her character, and while she has grown and matured, it has been too long since we've seen this side of her. I do want to slap her but at the same time I'm glad the writers haven't forgotten this side to her. Also, while she is in the wrong, it is her strong friendship with and protectiveness of Ailsa that has brought all this out in her, which is good to see in a way. Their strong bond is something that I like to see focussed on. It reminds me of 1988 where their friendship is a big part of the show.

It is a shame to see them treat Julia this way however I don't think she's really noticed it.

I did laugh when Marilyn was fumbling and making excuses why she couldn't serve Julia and Donald cut her off in a very headmaster-like fashion. "Nonsense. Two coffees," followed by Marilyn's reaction.

I did notice that Simon abruptly disappeared from the storyline after he returned Sophie home, and that a few episodes later Alf was still badmouthing him. Disappointing.

They make up shortly before the accident, like an episode or 2 before.

I liked Michael's chat with Sophie. His promise to step up and give her his full support from now on was heartfelt and very touching, and something that will continue to be focussed on, most notably when Michael helps Sophie give birth.

Pippa wanting to keep Michael away from Sophie while she rests was reminiscent of her wanting to keep Sally away after she found out about David's death. In both cases she was wrong. It is also reminiscent of Pippa trying to keep Michael away from Sally after she returns from running away in 1995, which is a major factor in their marraige breakdown - that Pippa overrides all Michael's decisions in the family. The seeds of this are already starting to show.

Julia/Meg/Blake storyline is going ahead nicely. Julia is asking a lot of Alf, getting him to tell Blake to stay away but without explaining to Blake the reasons why. It is little wonder Blake doesn't understand. I wouldn't. Julia comes across as very harsh and protective, but then there's always a heartbreaking reason behind it (like the conversation where she said Meg could never have a proper relationship because it wouldn't be fair on Blake). It's just a very sad situation all round.

Thanks. Why does Greg abandon Sam? And did they ever see each other again? I seem to recall Greg coming back very briefly around 2000 or so?:

I am kind of liking and disliking the Meg-Blake story line at the same time. Julia is being a bit too protective, but it's completely understandable why. Poor Blake should be made aware of why immediately, IMO, it's not fare to keep it from him, but again, understandable. It's sad knowing that Meg eventually does end up dying, if only there could be some miraculous recovery, but I understand the writers wanting it to be realistic.

Bobby and Marilyn should have just confronted Julia right off the bat, instead of jumping to such wild conclusions. Michael is a prick for treating Lucinda like that. It's her brother's baby, and she and her family have every right to want to be part of its life.

I disagree about Michael. I was very happy with the way he firmly put Lucinda in her place. It wasn't pleasant viewing, I did feel sorry for her, but she had been told nicely before Sophie ran away and clearly wasn't getting the message.

I agree. Lou needed to back off big time otherwise the long term damage would be awful

^I'm not 100% behind Michael but I can see why he did it and I sympathise with his reasons.Sophie ran away because of Lou putting pressure on her to admit the baby was David's and get her family involved, putting Michael through every parent's worst nightmare, so it's understandable that if Lou starts up at her again the moment Sophie gets back, however softly she did it and however reasonable she was trying to be, Michael's going to get scared that she's going to run away again and come down hard on Lou to pull her head in.

Archived