1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Well, a lot of people have said stuff I would have said.Yes, no contraceptive is 100% failsafe, THAT is a fact, not "if you use contraceptives, you don't get pregnant", which is not even an assumption it's just plain wrong.Yes, sleeping with a 16-year-old(or however old Sophie was, they seem to have changed it since she's already 18)was not a crime in NSW at any time ever.In some parts of the world, you can have sex with a 13-year-old without it being a crime so going "Ah-hah, but it would have been statutory rape if they were in Cyprus!" seems wholly irrelevant.

And yes, they didn't know each other for that long, but they knew each other longer than some people who sleep together and they were in a committed relationship (in their own eyes) at the time.Yes, the relationship may have fizzled out once they'd got over that first flush of love or whatever you want to call it but that's a risk in any relationship and I think if he had lived they'd have made a go of it for Tamara's sake if nothing else.And yes, David was a decent person who didn't do anything wrong and Sophie would not be a single mother if he'd lived, so if a bolt of thunder struck him dead then someone needs better aim.

The reactions of people in the show, as if Sophie having an older boyfriend was a crime against nature, seems absurdly parochial not only to modern eyes but quite possibly to contemporary eyes, given that the rest of the 1990s has girls of school age dating older boys, having sexual relationships and getting pregnant without anyone batting an eyelid.So the idea that someone in the developed world in 2014 seriously thinks that men who have consensual sex with people younger than them should be strung up or at least locked up and girls who get pregnant should be continually abused and have obscene language directed at them is...somewhat surprising.

Errr..... what do you mean I am discrediting Sophie by blaming David?? What do you mean by discredit? Are you suggesting it's a credit that Sophie opened her legs to this monster (oh sorry — I mean respectable man who knows and stays within all about boundaries in relationships) and you're saying I'm giving all the credit to David because he ****ed her, wheres I should be giving Sophie some credit for opening her legs to him?

Discrediting her intelligence and ability to make her own decisions. She chose to start a relationship with David and she willingly slept with him. She was not forced in any way and she was not young enough to be ignorant of the potential consequences of that decision. Her own choices led her to the pregnancy and they were her choices to make, whether you agree with them or not.

what is classed in some parts of the world as statutory rape.

The fact remains, despite what you think that Sophie was a willing participant, she was under 18 years of age. Not yet an adult. Argue till the cows come home that the age of consent in NSW is 16… [random deranged sanctimonious twaddle excised]

So not statutory, or indeed any other kind of rape, then...

She made her own choice, she made her bed, she can bloody well lie in it instead of crying to Pippa and Alsa about it and making it everyone else's problem.

The fact remains, she was under 18, and was not capable of making a good choice, and being so insistent, she can WEAR THE CONSEQUENCES!!!! What the hell is so "random deranged sanctimonious twaddle" about that AY?????

Yes. Good idea Dan F. And it all worked out fine in the end didn't it. Sophie and Tamara seem to have a very good relationship on her return stints and Tamara turned out to be a bright young girl so Sophie hadn't done too bad in the end. And it didn't seem to spoil her life too much either, I'm sure the character now wouldn't of change what happened for the world. My goodness we're all talking like it real ^_^

Well once again we've reached another season finale!

I'll be opening a 1993 thread shortly, and in the meantime we'd really appreciate your thoughts on the 1992 Season as a whole (which I hope will prove more popular than the 2 responses we got in the 1991 thread :P)

The music used in the final episode of 1992 was great! It is a pity none have been released on CD or iTunes or anywhere.

Particularly:

• Shane being carted away
• Fin and Blake's diving misadventure (part of which re-occurs during Andrew Warren's downfall)

Were they all composed by Mike Perjanik?

It really is a great ep for music, always loved the diving one, very haunting. And yes they'll more than likely be Perjanik compositions.

Certainly going to feel like a different era now that we're moving away from the original style of titles.

Archived