1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Ah, the Return of Ryan.I grimaced a bit when I saw the picture of him alongside episode 1117 but he is actually fairly likable when he's not causing trouble for Nick and Lou.It does seem a bit odd that he'd come back to Summer Bay but I get the feeling this is a holdover from before Dee Smart made an early exit;they'd already contracted Alistair McDougall to come back for the last few weeks of the season so they decided to use Ryan anyway.

Wow, Les really did come across as unstable at the end there.It's a bit hard to work out why he was so interested in Blake but not anyone else;there seemed to be a bit of a misogynistic streak in there but he didn't seem to get on with any other men either.I guess he either expected Blake to be like him or thought he could make him that way.Perhaps the biggest mystery is how he managed to hold it together long enough to get Blake to come and live with him in the first place.

Fin's Prince Charming turns out to be a frog, it's way of life for her.Still, she seems to be turning to the dark side herself and it's apparently her turn to shout at the whole household.(Damian was surprisingly quick to start sniping about Sophie too but then he's been in a permanent bad mood lately.)Ah, Shane and the man trap, that's a cliffhanger I remember.And what a chain of events that starts off...

Does anyone feel that Adam stayed too long?.

Yes absolutely! His non stop scams definitely get repetitive and they always end with him saying hes learned his lesson till the next week anyways. In saying that he does have a pretty huge storyline coming up if I remember correctly that does breath new life back into his character.

Now you see the reason why I hated Bobby so much: her love-affair with Tug. First, she tells Shane & Damian to go easy on him, then she takes him under her wing, while all the time Tug refuses to admit his part in setting Greg up with the stolen outboards. It is from this point onwards I couldn't wait till she died. Pity though, for Home And Away in the long run, death is too permanent for a long-term character like Bobby.

Well, what have we learned this week?Michael's paternalistic attitude towards Sophie seems to be extending to the rest of the family, he was very good with Fin in the episodes Pippa wasn't in.Has he softened this year?Shame Alf seems to be heading in the opposite direction, his dismissive attitude towards Blake is hard to credit.

Bobby's transformation into Tug's head cheerleader was a bit abrupt, I can get her not wanting Greg to manhandle a teenager (despite busting Roy, Greg didn't really come over that well this week) and stepping in when Shane and Damian were hassling him but it feels like she's overidentifying a bit.(Mind you, Damian seemed to go overboard a bit too, taking Bobby's advice to just ignore him and instead trying to be friends.)It's hard to tell if this is meant to be setting Bobby up for a fall or if the decision to make Tug a regular had already made.As an aside, I notice Tug is now being credited with the more familiar "O'Neale" surname, after it was spelled "O'Neill" on his previous stint.

Nick and Roxy...trying not to repeat my mistakes and get my hopes up but they do work rather well together and Blake's better off just letting them get on with it rather than overcompensating with the protective brother stuff.And another not-actually-a-departure, this time from Adam, although he does actually disappear for a few weeks rather than still being around.(And then they spoil the effect by revamping the titles for the 1993 season and making it obvious he hasn't really gone.)

Archived