1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Simon & the horse: Alf & Alsa were hassling Blake and Simon for placing bets on each other, seems they are playing the fun police, where is the lecture about the harmful effects of gambling??

Nick & Ryan sucking Loo: Nick is getting awfully aggressive, won't let Loo be friends with Ryan, then when it becomes too obvious Nick is making decisions about her life, Nick and Loo go into denial about their "love" and pretend to be more accepting of Ryan while it is pretty obvious Nick still is itching to punch Ryan's head in and prove he is a better man than Ryan.

Sophie's disgusting pregnancy: After Sophie goes through yet another patch of self-pity (never mind the fact that she could have prevented all this in the first place, remember the time when Pippa and Michael tried to stop this revolting thing they were doing?) she goes exploring the cliff with little sally, and conveniently falls off and makes a cliffhanger (so to speak)

Damian & Fin escaping Irene's clutches: Irene (the husky-voiced one) sees the light and realises she can't hold on to Damian and Fin (at least until she genuinely gets help for her drinking problem). Damian and Fin are now part of the Fletcher/Ross household.

With Sophie its just hormones. She's doing my head in at the moment.

And what was Sally thinking anyway, making a very heavily pregnant girl walk along the cliffs?

Why isn't Bobby and Greg participating in the fun run? It seems all the other adults are doing it. I vaguely remember the fun run back when it first aired.

So, that's the end of Irene Mark 1.I found her sudden change of heart a bit abrupt and unconvincing, as if she suddenly realised between scenes that it was her last episode so decided to turn good. While she didn't exactly part on bad terms with Fin and Damian, I'm not sure it was really enough for everyone to be bewilderingly pleased to see her when she turns into Lynne McGranger.

It is reaching the stage when I'm rolling my eyes every time Ryan turns up.It doesn't help that just how much of a snake he is seems to vary from scene to scene, as if no-one's really given much thought to his character or motivation and just use him as an all-purpose troublemaker.The plot devices needed to drag this turgid storyline out for month after month after month are becoming pretty desperate already, Don's always been Team Nick in the past but suddenly he's insisting Lou needs to give Ryan another chance.

Actually don't think Sophie did anything wrong this week.She handled things well with Fin and Damian again and given the pregnancy's obviously going to take a toll physically I'll forgive her being grumpy for an episode.She apologised to Sally and Marilyn afterwards when she didn't really have much to apologise for.Sally dressing more grown up is a bit of a head screw, although she seemed to revert pretty quickly.Even though I'd read it, I didn't quite twig that Sophie was actually going to fall off that cliff so it was a bit of a shock for the week to end with her sprawled across the rocks.

Ah, another 20 year mystery solved:First time we watched that, my brother and I were convinced Simon tore up the money that Alf gives back to Blake a scene later rather than just throwing it on the floor.He has turned into the new Matt pretty quickly, mainly existing to feed Blake or Sophie lines, which is a bit of a shame although he does it well.I missed an awful lot of episodes around this time meaning I saw the build-up to the fun run but not the actual event, be interesting to catch it this time.

So what a Surprise- Sophie didn't lose the baby. Even 1992 I bet the viewers guessed correctly.

Onto more important matters. And the Ryan/Lou/Nick annoyance fest

TUG!!!!!! I thought he appeared much later in 1992 but no. First appearance this week. Nice to see Damian fitting in well in the house

Bobby and the dress saga held my attention for 5 minutes. Bobby and Greg have become quite stale now- Maybe a mistake from the producers (not bobby and sam though.)

Adam and Maz should be together but I think its definitely too late now.

And Simon did nothing again

Yes, I thought Tug first appeared in September

, when Shane started seeing Kelly, and he made racist remarks when teasing him about it.

Little sally carrying on like a crybaby about Sophie's overdramatised cliff fall, was another brick-in-the-TV moment. No wonder I never liked sally, throughout all the time in Home And Away she has very rarely what I describe as much of a likeable character, and this (along with the carry-on over Dodge) would have to rate among sally's worst scenes.

I was aware we weren't that far off Tug's first appearance but didn't realise it was this week.His appearances in 1992 are a bit erratic.

He's around for a few weeks with the Bullying Damian storyline then disappears for a few months once it's concluded.I thought his next appearance was when Shane trod in a man trap set by his father but I do find myself misremembering a lot of things.

There does seem to be an effort being made to have Irene establish a relationship with her children off screen, with her sending them money.

It wasn't until a couple of scenes into 1006 that I realised I'd seen it before, I remembered the Alf/Don stuff a lot better than Sophie's drama.Her calling the baby "her" stuck in the mind though and it's interesting that it seems to become standard at the precise moment she's in danger of losing her.(My recollections from hereon may be a lot more subjective than when the episodes were new to me. Sorry if I bore anyone.)It's easy to forget how young Sally is but she probably should have held it together for Sophie's sake, when she really had more important things to deal with than Sally's guilt complex.Sophie's lack of interest in telling Sal she doesn't blame her is starting to rankle though to the point where it seems like she actually does resent her but just doesn't want to admit.Having Sally duck out of the surf carnival when it was her idea in the first place didn't feel right.

Even though in plot terms he isn't doing much, it's interesting that Simon seems to have shifted to being the nice one in the double act with Blake, or at least the nicer one:He's the one that tries to own up to lying to Lou, seems to want to keep his word and keep an eye on Damian, and ponders that Nick might not appreciate being the butt of their joke.Again, it's hard to fathom what Ryan was hoping to achieve by putting the drawing of Nick in Lou's marking unless he's just doing random things in the hope they produce results:A less juvenile student than Blake would have just said "Er, Miss Croft, I don't think this is meant to be here" and Lou could even have handed it out herself and found it without anything happening.Why didn't he just put the picture up himself, plausible deniability?Well, Nick's accused him anyway for no apparent reason other than it's always Ryan(and admittedly he was one of the few who knew about the drawing), which is no doubt going to end with Blake and Simon being exposed as the culprit without anyone knowing Ryan was involved and Nick looking a fool.

So, that makes twice that Marilyn's trusted someone Bobby assumes is a con artist and been proved right, after her not-real-but-not-exactly-fake-either parents.

So excited to see the arrival of my all time favourite Home & Away character Shane Parish today! I was in my early teens when Shane (Dieter Brummer) first arrived and it wasn't long before I had posters of him all over my walls and on my school books lol. Over the years he was in the show he became my favourite and remains my all time favourite nearly 20 years after his last appearance! His first scene with Alf was priceless! lol!

So excited to see the arrival of my all time favourite Home & Away character Shane Parish today! I was in my early teens when Shane (Dieter Brummer) first arrived and it wasn't long before I had posters of him all over my walls and on my school books lol. Over the years he was in the show he became my favourite and remains my all time favourite nearly 20 years after his last appearance! His first scene with Alf was priceless! lol!

I have been hanging for Shane's arrival in TEY eps too! The Shane years are my favourite era of the show aside from the current episodes, largely because of him! I remember buying my first ever gossip mag because he was on the front cover - He was everyone's school girl crush back in the day! :)

Can't wait to relive these episodes! He certainly made a bad first impression on Alf! Hilarious! :)

Archived