1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

The close-up of Irene's face as she opened the kitchen window was actually terrifying! Was it just me or did she smile and then glare into the camera? And the scene of her crying over photos of Damian (and Finlay) was important because it showed the audience that she does love her kids deep down, something that we had been wondering about. She is just completely inept at looking after them because of her alcoholism and alcohol induced violence, and even without the alcohol, she's a pretty nasty person.

I have to say I am LOVING Jacqy Philips in the role of Irene. She really is a vile piece of work with no redeeming features yet there is something about the character, which I can only assume is down to the acting that makes her really enjoyable to watch. Like the scene where she laughed out the window at Sophie and Finlay when she raced off. She's just a fun villain. It's a shame we won't see Jacqy in the role once Irene comes off "the grog" but Lynne McGranger does a great job of providing the show with a comedy character (which is essentially what Irene is in 1993/4) in the absense of Marilyn.

It's pretty much the only good storyline going on right now. Other than that, Lucinda/Ryan/Nick(and now Mary) getting more boring by the day, Sophie being an unsympathetic idiot, and Blake and Slime-on's bet is rubbish. Thank goodness for Maz being back and she and Adam getting into various scrapes together and seperately. I like their friendship and it's nice to see her helping him out again. Felt sorry for Ailsa when she thought Bobby had given her cake away but it was funny.

Totally agree with the above post. Not much else for me to say really!

At the start of 1993, the black background goes

Spoilers ahead....

I think Matty may have been asking about the next update of characters being taken out or added. I know that Damian and Shane are added at some point in 1992 when we still have the black background. Maybe they will replace Marilyn. Actually, Simon leaves pretty soon I think, so the next update should involve him being removed.

Spoilers ahead....

I think Matty may have been asking about the next update of characters being taken out or added. I know that Damian and Shane are added at some point in 1992 when we still have the black background. Maybe they will replace Marilyn. Actually, Simon leaves pretty soon I think, so the next update should involve him being removed.

I thought they waited until both

Marilyn and Simon leave.

Spoilers ahead....

I thought they waited until both

Marilyn and Simon leave.

Oh of course they share a credit don't they. Silly me.

I think Irene's possibly too real a character to be a fun villain since we know parents like her exist.The scene of Fin and Damian discussing how she didn't used to be like this was interesting, and perhaps paves the way for her future rehabilitation, but at the moment she seems to be trying to get Damian back more out of a sense of pride than out of anything approaching love.I'm liking the sibling bond between Fin and Damo, Fin seemed uncharacteristically easily led when Damian ran off after Irene's accident although she asserted herself eventually.

Sophie actually hasn't been at all bad this week, aside from the ease with which she blamed Nick for her woes.She kept a cool head when Irene turned up and I really liked the subsequent scene of her almost reassuring Pippa.Plus more of the close bond between her and Michael, with the way he defended her to Pippa and helped her out with her exercises.Hopefully her arrest has been a big wake up call and she's turned a corner.

The Ryan stuff continues to go round in circles and at times seems to be bordering on motiveless.He seemed to cause Mary to do a backflip over Sophie and Nick with ridiculous ease and the stuff with him letting everyone think Nick had been gossiping about Sophie was pretty absurd:Michael doesn't believe it, then a scene later he turns up at the house acting like Nick's a serial killer, then as Ryan should have anticipated the matter's cleared up as soon as Sophie talks to Simon.It's like he's just randomly stirring up trouble in the hope that something sticks.

Having Marilyn pull the "drag a teenage boy into a cover-up instead of just telling the truth" thing twice in one week does make her seem a bit dense.While it didn't last long and I accept the situation looked bad, Ailsa going round badmouthing Bobby without bothering to get her side of the story came a bit too soon after her jumping to conclusions about Alf and Julia.

And Episode 1000!Doubly significant for me since that was, by a massive coincidence, the point I started watching Home and Away 20 years ago.Gosh.So theoretically I've now seen all of Home and Away, at least in UK pace terms.But not every episode, I was missing them for various reasons as late as 2008.

As for the credits not having changed in a while...that's because no-one's left in a while.The next change comes somewhere around

episode 1056, with Simon and Marilyn having left the previous week and being replaced by Damian and Shane.Yes, it takes

that long for Damian to make the credits.Going by the comments here, I think people are under the impression Simon leaves a lot sooner than he does.He actually outlasts Marilyn, albeit only by one episode.

So this week

Damian joins the household when 'fake' Irene finally realises that she has to put her kids first- I think she will be back.

The foster Kids in the house are now Sally (1988) Sophie (1990) Finley (1991) and Now Damian. I think it will work.

Oh yes and more boring Nick/Lou/Ryan drama. God split them up already!!!

Plus will Sophie's Baby die after she falls down a cliff- How did sophie herself survive???

Oh and there was something about Simion and a Horse- We have a new Matt in summer bay- Pointless

Archived