1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Has it been mentioned about Irene's husband walking out on her when she first appeared?Interesting characterisation of her:The scene of her insisting to Damian that she'll be a good mother from now on almost convinces the audience that she's sincere, only to be followed by Fin predicting what she's saying and noting she's heard such speeches before.Damian standing up to her, twice, was a definite triumphant moment, followed by Pippa being Pippa and sending Irene packing.Shame that Fin and Damian promptly disappeared for the rest of the week, guess episode counts ruled the roost even then.(It's getting increasingly rare to see Michael and Pippa in the same episode, they seem to be taking it in turns to be the sole parental figure.)

It's been very hard to sympathise with Sophie at times this week.It was nice to see her being a supportive friend to Fin but her obsessive desire to play stepford mother was pretty stupid and irrational. Being a thief is far more likely to see her being branded a bad mother than not having a mobile or a bowl for a baby who won't come along for another two months, giving her time to save up and buy them.At least she does actually seem to have realised that so hopefully that's the last of it.

Bobby and Greg seem to be taking it in turns to be stubborn about the wedding.After Greg trying to bankrupt them, we now have Bobby going to the opposite extreme and overeconomising.She must have been wilfully blind not to notice Greg was unhappy about her choosing a dress that would have been fine for a quiet registry office do but looked out of place in a full ceremony with bridesmaids wearing more elaborate dresses than her.

Ryan's storyline continues to just sit there melting rather than actually developing.You'd have thought him kissing Lou would have tipped her off to his intentions but she just seems to have shrugged it off.There is a certain irony though in Sally unknowingly convincing him to keep pursuing her.

The close-up of Irene's face as she opened the kitchen window was actually terrifying! Was it just me or did she smile and then glare into the camera? And the scene of her crying over photos of Damian (and Finlay) was important because it showed the audience that she does love her kids deep down, something that we had been wondering about. She is just completely inept at looking after them because of her alcoholism and alcohol induced violence, and even without the alcohol, she's a pretty nasty person.

I have to say I am LOVING Jacqy Philips in the role of Irene. She really is a vile piece of work with no redeeming features yet there is something about the character, which I can only assume is down to the acting that makes her really enjoyable to watch. Like the scene where she laughed out the window at Sophie and Finlay when she raced off. She's just a fun villain. It's a shame we won't see Jacqy in the role once Irene comes off "the grog" but Lynne McGranger does a great job of providing the show with a comedy character (which is essentially what Irene is in 1993/4) in the absense of Marilyn.

It's pretty much the only good storyline going on right now. Other than that, Lucinda/Ryan/Nick(and now Mary) getting more boring by the day, Sophie being an unsympathetic idiot, and Blake and Slime-on's bet is rubbish. Thank goodness for Maz being back and she and Adam getting into various scrapes together and seperately. I like their friendship and it's nice to see her helping him out again. Felt sorry for Ailsa when she thought Bobby had given her cake away but it was funny.

The close-up of Irene's face as she opened the kitchen window was actually terrifying! Was it just me or did she smile and then glare into the camera? And the scene of her crying over photos of Damian (and Finlay) was important because it showed the audience that she does love her kids deep down, something that we had been wondering about. She is just completely inept at looking after them because of her alcoholism and alcohol induced violence, and even without the alcohol, she's a pretty nasty person.

I have to say I am LOVING Jacqy Philips in the role of Irene. She really is a vile piece of work with no redeeming features yet there is something about the character, which I can only assume is down to the acting that makes her really enjoyable to watch. Like the scene where she laughed out the window at Sophie and Finlay when she raced off. She's just a fun villain. It's a shame we won't see Jacqy in the role once Irene comes off "the grog" but Lynne McGranger does a great job of providing the show with a comedy character (which is essentially what Irene is in 1993/4) in the absense of Marilyn.

It's pretty much the only good storyline going on right now. Other than that, Lucinda/Ryan/Nick(and now Mary) getting more boring by the day, Sophie being an unsympathetic idiot, and Blake and Slime-on's bet is rubbish. Thank goodness for Maz being back and she and Adam getting into various scrapes together and seperately. I like their friendship and it's nice to see her helping him out again. Felt sorry for Ailsa when she thought Bobby had given her cake away but it was funny.

In 1995 Irene became much more like she is today but with only more storylines.

Archived