1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Caught up to 970.Fin was beyond annoying this week.She was lucky she managed to hitch a ride home with the only guy present with any sense of responsibility and that he didn't turn out to be an axe murderer.Bobby annoyed me pandering to her and giving her somewhere to stay:It undermined Michael and Pippa(and Greg for that matter)and any comparisons with the young Bobby's situation are flawed.I was also frustrated at Michael and Pippa letting Randy guilt trip them:They didn't handle the situation perfectly but they gave Fin plenty of chances and she threw them back in their faces.The fostering offer was an odd compromise but I guess it does contain Fin's implicit agreement to respect them as parental figures.I think we're all a bit too used to the 2000-2009 Pippa, who was never on the show long enough to do anything other than pop up, do her calm maternal bit and then leave.It's easy to forget that when she was a regular she was as flawed as everyone else and she could be harsh at times right through the 90s.(I remember her coming down hard on the likes of Steven and Shannon, perhaps harder than they deserved, a lot later.)

I actually found myself siding with Julia a couple of times this week, Meg did seem to be digging her heels in and doing herself more harm than good by refusing to accept she needed help.We do seem to have moved past the point of the group being divided into different sides, every time I think they're going to end up at odds again they calm down and accept they're all on the same side pretty quickly.I've read in some places that Meg was too weak to, ahem, "spend time" with Blake but that's definitely not the impression I got here and it's not what was said years later.Guess we'll see what the exact time scale is for this week.Maybe Meg lasts a couple of days longer than expected or maybe it does just cover three days.

Not sure how I feel about Ryan's manipulation of Sophie.Much of what he told her sounded like baloney(although he had that photo of David and Sophie, so possibly he was telling the truth about David writing to him about her), but it did seem effective in helping her accept her daughter for the right reasons.Ends justify the means?(Also hard not to suspect he's doing it to curry favour with Lou and/or the rest of town rather than for altruistic reasons.Er, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons?)Not sure.

I think we're all a bit too used to the 2000-2009 Pippa, who was never on the show long enough to do anything other than pop up, do her calm maternal bit and then leave.It's easy to forget that when she was a regular she was as flawed as everyone else and she could be harsh at times right through the 90s.(I remember her coming down hard on the likes of Steven and Shannon, perhaps harder than they deserved, a lot later.)

When I'm comparing Pippa in 1991, I'm comparing her to how she was in the mid 90's, from say 1994-onwards. She continued to make mistakes and could be quite harsh like you said, but not in the same way as 1991. I actually think from 2000-2009 she was a bit too sickly sweet at times, it didn't sit right. Although her 2008 lengthy return was more like the Pippa who left in 1998 Imo.

Sons and Daughters is finishing this week and I was hoping we could get double episodes to speed things up!.

Instead we are getting Shortland in the Sons and Daughters timeslot.

i don't want double episodes as it would mean opening ane closing credits cut out. Also it would be more complicated with people who are recording the episodes and uploading to the net.

My PVR didn't record today's episode because of a blackout. Can someone give me a little summary of what happens? Has Meg died yet?

Hope you get a backup copy soon.

Meggie has been discharged but has to go back for another transfusion in another couple of days. Sadly, unlike her fellow leukemia patient, there is no hope of remission.

Archived