What I Didn't like about Ailsa's Death.

j.laur5

At the very least, we should have had a montage of Ailsa's

I thought it was the second, after seeing Bobby in 1995? Or are you including when she tried to smother Duncan?

Have I missed any others?

She also had a breakdown after the 1998 diner siege, which resulted in her trying to shoot Alf when he walked into the house.

I remember her the diner siege because Sally was shot and Scott Major was the gunman. I don't remember much afterwards though.

Poor Ailsa.. after breakdowns in 1989, 1995, 1998 and 1999, I'm surprised they didn't write her out by having her sectioned :whistling:

At the aboslute minimum, we should have had a montage of her 13 years in Summer Bay. Neighbours did it for Helen Daniels (who stayed a similar amount of time as Ailsa) and Home and Away even did for Sally when she was stabbed and survived.

At the aboslute minimum, we should have had a montage of her 13 years in Summer Bay. Neighbours did it for Helen Daniels (who stayed a similar amount of time as Ailsa) and Home and Away even did for Sally when she was stabbed and survived.

I think it was quite good continuity that the 1998 hold-up had the same effect on her as the 1995 one. There used to be some episodes from this period on youtube and there was a scene where Ailsa was struggling to cope after the 1998 hold-up and she said "it's happening to me again, Alf" which struck me as being very sad in a way.

I thought it was the second, after seeing Bobby in 1995? Or are you including when she tried to smother Duncan?

She also had a breakdown after the 1998 diner siege, which resulted in her trying to shoot Alf when he walked into the house.

That was more to do with the road rage but the hold-up must have played a part too.

That was more to do with the road rage but the hold-up must have played a part too.

From memory it was the hold-up that caused the breakdown, the road rage only came in at the end as the straw that broke the camel's back.

(To be fair I'm not sure it was a breakdown, not in the way it was in 1995, but she definitely had what you could call an "episode") and they definitely mentioned the fact it had happened before with the previous hold-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ailsa was popular and an important character, particularly her pairing with Alf. I think Alf still feels very alone without her, even with Roo around. She was also quite a strong female who the teens respected and many would speak to openly, I don't think there's a character in the show like her today.

Some said Madge dying was the end of an era for Neighbours. I think opinions can vary all the time, some will probably say H&A will end as we know it when Alf leaves. I think it more or less signifies a new chapter for the shows. Some think Helen Daniels dying ended an era for Neighbours but IMHO both shows have never had a "main character". I never saw Sally or Ailsa as the stars of the show, but A list characters along with Bobby, Don, Alf, Pippa, etc.

Ailsa's death was a bit rushed I think but the funeral was very touching.

Some said Madge dying was the end of an era for Neighbours. I think opinions can vary all the time, some will probably say H&A will end as we know it when Alf leaves. I think it more or less signifies a new chapter for the shows. Some think Helen Daniels dying ended an era for Neighbours but IMHO both shows have never had a "main character". I never saw Sally or Ailsa as the stars of the show, but A list characters along with Bobby, Don, Alf, Pippa, etc.

Ailsa's death was a bit rushed I think but the funeral was very touching.

It's one of those things really, the Fletchers were seen as the main characters in the beginning as it was their story that began Home and Away and from there until the Braxtons I'd say whoever lived in Summer Bay House was seen as the main family. I would agree that were Alf to leave the show would feel very different as Irene & Leah aren't really the same characters anymore.

Archived