Slightly weird interests?

Homeandawayfan.

I'm a jigsaw puzzle fanatic. I collect them in the same way people collect books. Storage is a slight issue but most of them are currently filling our spare wardrobe. Also, when I'm doing a jigsaw, I lose myself completely and I have been known to keep going till 4 am to get one finished.

Other's lose themselves in books, I lose myself in jigsaws.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My model of that former Norwich hospital block is coming along, I am holding back a bit until I go to the original architects and look at the floorplans on microfilm.

Norwich itself has a varied skyline, there are several high rise 7 to 13 storey blocks near the south of the city centre and then the 1000 year old castle and cathedral in the very centre. I like taller buildings in the city, maybe a generational thing, and strongly disagree with heritage groups saying they prefer a low rise city (and same for other towns and cities) for the sake of some historic views, just build the talls further away from historic areas. I like looking at Norwich Cathedral then modern office blocks in the distance, shows the true age. The taller blocks are in one place and I welcome them, also it is a case of these talls being needed, they are not built for the fun of it. Norwich will never be without 10 storey buildings anyway now. 2 more have been built, one is 13 floors.

I chase steam trains to take photographs of them. I don't think that's so weird but some of my younger friends do roll their eyes when I go clambering through bush to find good vantage points in cuttings or on viaducts dragging tripod etc.

In regards to genealogy I have been researching this week and found my first ancestor sibling who was a convict. Edward Childs, the brother of my great, great, great, great grandmother born in Essex was sent to NSW in 1838 for attempting to maim a fellow villager who tried to intervene in a row between Edward and his dad over work. Edward's mum had died the previous year so I think this had something to do with it.

Edward was sent to Port Macquaire, (ironically a town similar to Summer Bay, or maybe more the size of Yabbie Creek lol) and was given a certificate of freedom in 1849, he later married and had a daughter, became a shoemaker and died in a lunatic asylum in Parramatta in 1891. Although the admission register said he had bad eyesight and was infirm. He was 74 when he died.

The things we photographers do John :P

We also had one that was sent to NSW as a convict, he lived and died in the very town where the current 'Summer Bay High' is located. Visited the cemetery back in 2007 whilst visiting locations in the Hawkesbury area.

Sadly it did later turn out we'd been following the wrong line due to a transcription error in an old census, though there's still a chance he is a bit more distantly related.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I have my own Stewart ancestors from Durham, a name which later came down the generations as a christian name. Obviously they originally came from Scotland like Alf's ancestors*, a town named Newton Stewart appropriately enough.

Found out yesterday that one of my newly found ancestors was Lord Mayor of York.

*I'll choose to believe that Alf is a distant cousin of mine

Snap. I have Stewart rellies from Durham, John Stewart who originated in Selkirk to Bishop Auckland. The 1780ish to 1803 parish registers of Durham parishes give place of origin of parents of the baptised child. My ancestor was William Stewart born in 1803 son of John Stewart a skinner originally from Selkirk, Scotland.

In fiction H&A we know a Mr Stewart founded Summer Bay in 1852. Angus's father, Alf's great grandad. I have often wondered the ancestries and places in the UK the H&A characters ancestors originated from. In a 2010 episode when Alf was going away he said he wanted to go to Scotland to visit the origin of the clan Stewart.

Maybe Alf is a 20th cousin of mine, sharing a common ancestor about 600 years ago lol.

No correlation with mine it seems :wink:

In fiction H&A we know a Mr Stewart founded Summer Bay in 1852. Angus's father, Alf's great grandad. I have often wondered the ancestries and places in the UK the H&A characters ancestors originated from. In a 2010 episode when Alf was going away he said he wanted to go to Scotland to visit the origin of the clan Stewart.

It was actually Angus who was Alf's great-grandfather and founder of the bay, Alf's grandfather was Duncan Stewart (Wikipedia and suchlike have it wrong)

Ailsa's mother also had Scottish ancestors who came over during one of the gold rushes, and her father's family were Irish who came over during the famine in the 1850's.

Another couple of slightly bizarre interests - I seem to have an obsession with collecting TV & Film Scores/Soundtracks/Theme Tunes and have a long fascination with filming locations (which obviously comes in handy for this site), both of which I've had since I was a kid. Oh and 90's Kids TV :innocent:

I went to Sydney in 2007 but that was during my non viewing phase of H&A and Neighbours. I regret now not going to Epping in NW Sydney or even to Palm Beach, only places I went to was the main central Sydney district and through Parramatta on the way to the Blue Mountains. Since I returned I have found that H&A has filmed in various inner city Sydney locations I have been to such as Central Station and the harbour area. I went on top of the Sydney harbour Bridge and from that high I would have seen the area where Grundy House is where Neighbours was scripted. I dont know if you can see the Epping area of Sydney from the Harbour Bridge top. You can see Balmain and Rozelle, I saw those areas from the bridge, areas sometimes seen in H&A in the early years. I am doing a list of Sydney locations I have been to that were used for filming in H&A prior to my visit.

Archived