Slightly weird interests?

Homeandawayfan.

Have any of you had or have interests that some may see as a bit odd, such as fascination with pebbles, or a former building.

I am interested in a former towerblock in my home city of Norwich, the old Norfolk & Norwich Hospital Main Block, a 11 storey building, completed 1974, demolished in late 2003 when a new hospital opened shortly before. I miss that towerblock and while it was a bit of an eyesore, I feel Norwich has been missing something since, not just the tower but the fact the city no longer has a city centre hospital but one on the outskirts which is hard to get to. A heritage watchdog did not like the Main block or the neighbouring maternity towerblock as they thought it was a lot on the city landscape but I strongly disagree, the towers were there for medical purposes. I have never liked heritage watchdogs trying to stop towns and cities building much needed new buildings for the sake of a few historic buildings. But Norwich has built 2 more high rise towers in the past 3 years a short way from the old hospital.

I am actually doing a SketchUp model of that Main Ward Block and Maternity Block in early February 1988, and the architects of the buildings still have the old drawings. It will be a permanent tribute to those 2 former towerblocks, it feels as if they have recreated literally. Here is a screengrab of the model, the 2 towerblocks in early February 1988. (H&A had been airing in Australia for 3 weeks by then, even then I shoehorn a H&A mention in lolol).

SketchUp%20Model%20Screenshot%20of%20Nam

And another interest that some may find odd, maybe non viewers, is the histories of Neighbours and Home And Away.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in college my best mate & I would collect guitar plectums and I still have most of them, I do blame the music shop for selling pirates of the Caribbean ones as at that time I was in love with them movies, Johnny Depp and Keira Knightley. Think by time my best mate left to go to university we got at least 100 different ones each.

And my knowledge on Jennifer Lawrence and her quotes. I love her and she is an inspiration as she has remained Jennifer throughtout her climb in Hollywood.

I'm way too interested in/invested in royalty. It started out very innocently. I was thinking one day "What is the use of modern royalty? Why do we have monarchies anymore? What do they do?", and I started doing research. Before I knew it, I knew the name of every european royal. And not only that, I wasn't merely interested in them as concepts anymore. I cared about them as people. And now one of my most anticipated events of 2015 is the wedding between a swedish prince and a glamour-model-turned-princess... I'm actually ashamed :blush: But it is a little fun to follow their lives and see their children grow up, so I don't regret it. I'm not really into Will and Kate though (but George is cute), I just find them a little boring. Sorry Australians, I know they're "your" royals and everything.

I'm not a crazy monarchist, and I see why people don't like it. I understand it very well. It is weird that people are born into fame and fortune and power like that. But by now I care too much about all the little princes and princesses to turn back. I have accepted my faith: In 50 years I will be one of those old ladies I read about in the newspaper, who has tea parties during royal weddings :innocent:

Just so we're clear, I would never want to be royal. I have some dignity left.

I am a bit fixated on H&A history, and the pre production history and the pre televised history of the fictional H&A characters, especially what Don Fisher was up to in 1985, the year he turned 40 and was probably supporting Alf over Martha's death and had (or helped have) Lance and Martin expelled from Summer Bay High, and became a grandfather to Seb Miller but was not to know for years.

I am doing genealogy and am researching brothers and sisters of direct ancestors and am really fascinated by any of them that emigrated or spent time abroad. I have about 6 or 7 siblings of ancestors who went to America and several others who spent time abroad, my great grandads brother went to Canada in 1910 for a while to Toronto as a bricklayer, must have been big building projects out there. His gran's brother went to Australia in 1855 as part of his seaman's job. Also I have several who went to India in the army.

I am doing genealogy and am researching brothers and sisters of direct ancestors and am really fascinated by any of them that emigrated or spent time abroad. I have about 6 or 7 siblings of ancestors who went to America and several others who spent time abroad, my great grandads brother went to Canada in 1910 for a while to Toronto as a bricklayer, must have been big building projects out there. His gran's brother went to Australia in 1855 as part of his seaman's job. Also I have several who went to India in the army.

Well...genealogy is actually my other big thing away from media related stuff, but I didn't particularly see it as 'weird' :P

Four of my Great Grandfather's siblings all emigrated to Canada in the 1910's - settling in Winnipeg, Toronto and Vancouver. One of them worked as a coach carpenter on the Canadian National Railway for 30 years. Whilst I've been doing the family tree for about 10 years, and am back to the 1600's/1700's on most branches, it's only this past week I've concentrated on those siblings and found significant records relating to them.

Well...genealogy is actually my other big thing away from media related stuff, but I didn't particularly see it as 'weird' :P

Four of my Great Grandfather's siblings all emigrated to Canada in the 1910's - settling in Winnipeg, Toronto and Vancouver. One of them worked as a coach carpenter on the Canadian National Railway for 30 years. Whilst I've been doing the family tree for about 10 years, and am back to the 1600's/1700's on most branches, it's only this past week I've concentrated on those siblings and found significant records relating to them.

Genealogy is not weird at all but I did think me being fixated on finding ancestor siblings who emigrated or went abroad temporarily slightly weird, slightly though but very compelling.

2 of my great, great grandfathers siblings emigrated to America in the 1880s, and then my direct ancestor, my great, great, great grandfather went to join them seeing as his other children who stayed in England were all married by then. Also that ancestor had a brother who went to America in 1879. And his wife, my 3xgreat gran had a sister who went to the US in 1881.

I have a g,g,g,grandmother whose brother died in India in the army in 1868. He went there in 1863 with his regiment. And my mum and her parents spent time in Singapore in the 1950s.

Another ancestor, my 4xgreat grandmother had a sister who emigrated to New York from London in 1849.

Archived