1999-2000

adam436

What I liked about 2000 was the show was acknowledging its past while building up the future even if we did suffer from Sutherland spam (though it was minor compared to 2001-04).

What do you mean we suffered from Suthersland spam? That family was a big part of the show

Did you feel the same when the Hunters, Holdens and the Walkers came into the show?

I stopped watching not long after the Holdens arrived, but I can comment on the Hunters.

With the exception of Matilda, the Hunters were much more likeable and interesting characters. Beth seemed more natural as a mother-figure than Shelley and Robbie and Kit were unique characters, whereas I felt the Sutherland girls and Brodie were, in many ways, just stereotypical teenage girls.

For me, 2000 was probably the last time when Home and Away was "must see" TV. If I wasn't home, I made sure I recorded it. I still continued to watch until late 2005, but I didn't go out of my way to see it if I wasn't home (unless it was a special event like a wedding, exit etc.)

Characters had come and gone before, but the new arrivals in 2000 was really the first time where I felt like they were not as good or better as the groups that had preceded them. I absolutely loved Peta and Edward (I always vote for him in the Most Popular Character polls), but before them Joey, Justine and Tegan were equally as good. Peta and Edward's successors (Nick and the Sutherland girls) were not as great, and we also lost one of my all-time favourite characters in Ailsa.

Did you feel the same when the Hunters, Holdens and the Walkers came into the show?

I stopped watching not long after the Holdens arrived, but I can comment on the Hunters.

With the exception of Matilda, the Hunters were much more likeable and interesting characters. Beth seemed more natural as a mother-figure than Shelley and Robbie and Kit were unique characters, whereas I felt the Sutherland girls and Brodie were, in many ways, just stereotypical teenage girls.

For me, 2000 was probably the last time when Home and Away was "must see" TV. If I wasn't home, I made sure I recorded it. I still continued to watch until late 2005, but I didn't go out of my way to see it if I wasn't home (unless it was a special event like a wedding, exit etc.)

Characters had come and gone before, but the new arrivals in 2000 was really the first time where I felt like they were not as good or better as the groups that had preceded them. I absolutely loved Peta and Edward (I always vote for him in the Most Popular Character polls), but before them Joey, Justine and Tegan were equally as good. Peta and Edward's successors (Nick and the Sutherland girls) were not as great, and we also lost one of my all-time favourite characters in Ailsa.

It must be weird for you then to think it´s been over half the shows time since the Sutherlans arrived and that both the Hunters and Holdens are gone a long time ago and considered old characters?

I agree, the Hunters were much more likeable than the Sutherlands. Do you think it's because they were introduced gradually rather than how the Sutherlands arrived?

I think it's always difficult when a character arrives hating the small town they're forced to live in. Carly was the exception as she got over it in a day, but I found Gypsy and Matilda quite unlikeable until they got over that whiny period. Dani just continued to be whiny so I never really grew to like her.

Again Rhys came in and clashed straight away with Alf, not a good thing as the audience is going to side with the character they know, even if he did do shonky patch ups on the caravans.

I liked Shelley and for me her departure was the final nail in the Sutherlands' coffin. I enjoyed her friendship with Rhys and the new twist on the helping kids theme with her work at the DiC. As others said, Brodie was surplus to requirements and should have been a boy. She was only brought in because they wanted all the teens to be in a relationship and that's what was so obvious about the Sutherlands.

I think had the Sutherlands brought Kane into their home instead of Brodie only for him to 'attack' Dani later on with Rhys & Shelley having looked upon him as a son it would've been more powerful and they'd have gained a lot more sympathy.

Hunters to a degree but when they became independent of the Sutherlands they became more bearable (did like Beth to begin with), Didn't mind the Holdens though Lucas in 2006 was an arse. Had no problem with the Walkers bar the Mum and The Original Dex.

Archived