Was Pippa's exit done the right way?

beau_t

The writers knew Debra was leaving for good, but they decided to write that Pippa was only leaving on a break, so there was never any real closure to her exit. Her final episode was quite low key and they played it all down quite a bit. For the next 2 years the house remained full of her treasured photos and possessions which just seemed weird after she'd been away for a while.

I understand it was probably the most realistic way Pippa would leave. I don't think she would have ever decided to leave for good while living there so it was more realistic that she left on a break and over time decided not to come back. But for the show was it the best thing?

Of course one good thing about this was that the writers realised it needed tying up so we had the Sally/Kieran wedding, which was really more about giving closure to the whole Pippa era that we never got when she actually left.

Do you think it all worked out for the best doing it that way? Or would you have preferred Pippa to have got a proper exit the first time round?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Sally was there as well but I agree

It was a dire exit for such a iconic character and got 1998 one of the worst years ever of to an awful start!!! Alf and Alisa should have been there as should Fisher!! And to be honest they could have easily got Steven, Carly and Frank back for her final episode along with Fin and Sophie!!!

There was no mention of the past, TOM or MICHAEL!!! Or Bobby either!!

I just wonder if they were trying to get Debra to sign another contract at this point....

It was a poor exit no doubt considering how iconic Pippa was as a character and she was one of the last remaining original characters on the show along with Alf, Ailsa, Don and Sally so she deserved a better exit than that especially as the matriarch of the Fletcher family.

Whether Debra was keen to leave or not I'm not so sure but maybe the writers felt the rush to write her out hence leaving her exit very open and just saying she was leaving for a holiday temporarily speaking.

At least Pippa made numerous returns over the next 10 years though.

When i read these threads i really wished i was alive when they aired the 80 and 90s episodes, sounds like alot of exciting and dramatic things happened in the show before 2001

Was her final scene when she drived away in a caravan as Sally waved to her?

It was a dire exit for such a iconic character and got 1998 one of the worst years ever of to an awful start!!! Alf and Alisa should have been there as should Fisher!! And to be honest they could have easily got Steven, Carly and Frank back for her final episode along with Fin and Sophie!!!

I just wonder if they were trying to get Debra to sign another contract at this point....

When did they give her the mobile phone? I remember Don being there to give her that.

The odd part to me is that all of her furniture and photos remained after she had sold the house. Had they bothered to change those at that point it wouldn't have felt as strange.

Whether Debra was keen to leave or not I'm not so sure but maybe the writers felt the rush to write her out hence leaving her exit very open and just saying she was leaving for a holiday temporarily speaking.

Debra definitely wanted to leave at that point.

I remember an article questioning whether the show could survive considering the Ross/Fletchers were so fundamental in launching the show and the original premise. I remember at the time a lot of viewers thought it wouldn't be the same etc. So I understand why they made it low key, it seemed like they did write it always as if she was going to return soon - perhaps they had hopes that Debra would return after a short break, but they also probably didn't want to make a big fuss out of it so that they could carry the show on as easily as possible once Pippa had gone.

Her real exit storyline in 2000 was exactly how it should have been and probably even better than it would have been back in 1998, considering Bevan Lee returned in 2000.

Do you think it's possible the 2000 storyline, with Sally's wedding and everyone in Summer Bay House afterwards, was written because of complaints about Pippa's original exit? I know Neighbours recieved a number of complaints when Daphne left, so they brought her back briefly to give her a final send-off.

They should have done something similar to Sally's exit, with flashbacks and as many former foster children as possible back for the occasion: Frank, Steven, Carly, Lynn, Sophie, Haydn, Finn, Damien, Jack, Liam and Shannon (although I doubt Isla would have come back). This is pretty much what they did in 2000, but it should have been done in 1998. All the long-term cast members (Alf, Ailsa, Fisher, Irene, Marilyn) should have been there to see her off too.

Does anyone remember Libby's 2004 exit in Neighbours? Everyone was waving her off as she drove away and eventually they all went inside and Susan was left standing there alone. I haven't seen the episode since, but I still remember it vividly. Something similar with Sally left standing by herself after Pippa has driven away would be just as powerful and memorable.

They should have done something similar to Sally's exit, with flashbacks and as many former foster children as possible back for the occasion: Frank, Steven, Carly, Lynn, Sophie, Haydn, Finn, Damien, Jack, Liam and Shannon (although I doubt Isla would have come back). This is pretty much what they did in 2000, but it should have been done in 1998. All the long-term cast members (Alf, Ailsa, Fisher, Irene, Marilyn) should have been there to see her off too.

They had a farewell party with all the key characters in attendance, they just didn't wave her off outside.

I also remember Libby's exit in 2004, it was quite poignant.

When did they give her the mobile phone? I remember Don being there to give her that.

The odd part to me is that all of her furniture and photos remained after she had sold the house. Had they bothered to change those at that point it wouldn't have felt as strange.

I actually remember that, the pictures of Pippa and Tom and other families still being in the house for many years

Archived