Natalie Nash was re-cast for the better!

beau_t

But if Joel and Natalie were axed wouldn't they leave at the same time.

The Natalie actress quit and Joel was axed later.

I think Shelley would have been a good Pippa replacement had the viewers given her a chance.

I guess it would depend on when their contracts ended, but it certainly translated onscreen as though they didn't know Joel would be leaving so soon after Natalie. Otherwise it would have made more sense for her to move away and him to follow later on (like Heath and Bianca, and Neighbours' Scott and Charlene and Henry and Brownyn).

I agree about Shelley too - she was by far my favourite of the Sutherlands so it's a shame she didn't stick around. Her job at the drop-in centre really did provide endless opportunities to take in waifs and strays. What was the story with Paula Forrest? Was she written out to make way for the Hunters?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Paula Forrest leave because she wanted to?

I seriously don't think she was written out against her will, because then she probably wouldn't have returned for Kirsty's final departure in 2009.

I liked Shelley, but some storylines destroyed her for me a bit. Especially the one about the Kidney transplant. She was more concerned about what her new husband would say about the scars than saving her daughters life. I thought that was totally unrealistic. Well some men don't like scars... but there was something really uncomfortable with the way the storyline was written. And I think that she wouldn't have been a good foster mum like how she was written in the end... With the exception of her stint in 2009, which was very short but still very good.

I think if they hadn't done the Dylan storyline which ended with her split with Rhys, both her and Rhys would have been good foster parents.

Natalie number 2 on the other hand, wouldn't have been a good foster mum for me.. She was far too sugar sweet and far too little mother like.

Sometimes I wish they could just write characters out without breaking up the couples. For example I do agree that Natalie and Joel could have had a similar departure as Heath and Bianca. And other characters couples could have had that too. Even if the gap between the actors departure are several months it is possible to do it this way. There are more storylines to give a character than putting them in love all the time. And the time could have been used to dig more into the characters past and childhood for example. And it wouldn't have been that unrealistic. Many couples have to live months, and sometimes even a year apart because of work of family situations.

Even if I didn't like Nat number 2, I liked Joel and Nathalie as a couple. They seemed quite normal... and it was easy to connect to their storylines. The same goes for Shelley, Rhys and Beth.

Didn't Paula Forrest leave because she wanted to?

I seriously don't think she was written out against her will, because then she probably wouldn't have returned for Kirsty's final departure in 2009.

I just found it strange that if she left to pursue other projects or whatever the reason, why she continued to make frequent guest appearances over the next two years until Rhys left. Wouldn't she want to make a clean break?

Unless she left for a similar reasons to Angelica La Bozetta and the short stints suited her?

It was stated at the time that it was Paula's decision to leave.The storyline wasn't intended to go that way originally, which is probably why you get that sudden turnabout where after Shelley has come to terms with Dylan and she and Rhys have reconciled she suddenly changes her mind and leaves in the space of about one episode.

Found it kind of unrealistic Shelley would walk away. Yes, Angie put a boot up that family real good but to chuck in the towel after 20ys like that.

Rhys and Shelley were foster parents for a time, To Brodie.

They did reunite again in 2004 though, so they never did walk away completely.

Brodie is a puzzling one - apart from being one of the most irritating characters during my time as a regular Home and Away viewer, the Sutherland family was big enough (especially when Max came along!) that there was no need to add an additional child to the brood.

I´m curious, how does a discussion about a pre 2000 character on the bayside diner section end up being about Shelly, a character that came in the 2000s?

The original discussion was about Natalie, it just got a little off-track

Archived