Is Ailsa Home & Away's Version of Helen Daniels

j.laur5

Judy Nunn is only 69 so if she had not left Ailsa could have still been around in 2014 and had a good 10 years or more after that.

Yes I see a lot of similarities in Ailsa and Helen. Bit like Coleen and Mrs Mangel. Ailsa and Helen were both strong matriarchs but yes in the first season Ailsa was much more feisty and a bit of a joker.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judy Nunn is only 69 so if she had not left Ailsa could have still been around in 2014 and had a good 10 years or more after that.

Yes I see a lot of similarities in Ailsa and Helen. Bit like Coleen and Mrs Mangel. Ailsa and Helen were both strong matriarchs but yes in the first season Ailsa was much more feisty and a bit of a joker.

I actually think Colleen is more like Eileen Clarke.

It's a bit pointless really as none of the characters were supposed to be "versions" of Neighbours characters or any other TV show characters.

*cough* Doris Peters/Mrs Mangle *cough* ;)

But there's no harm in it and I found it interesting seeing simlair things in each character.

It's a bit pointless really as none of the characters were supposed to be "versions" of Neighbours characters or any other TV show characters.

*cough* Doris Peters/Mrs Mangle *cough* ;)

But there's no harm in it and I found it interesting seeing simlair things in each character.

No harm at all, I was just making a joke :)

• 4 weeks later...

A bit random, but it is a pretty big coincidence: Helen died in episode 2965 and Ailsa died in episode 2960. So they both had similar lengthed stints.

I find there are many similarities between characters over the years:

• Alf and Lou were very similar at one point. They both owned many businesses and properties and being around "forever" depsite not having immediate family. I think the relationships between Alf and Fisher and Lou and Harold were quite similar too.
  • Amanda was introduced around the time Izzy was at her peak in Neighbours
  • Colleen and Sheila Canning share quite a few characteristics
  • Sally and Libby have a bit in common too - both grew up on screen (although Libby to a lesser extent) so they are both seen as the prodigal daughter in their respective shows, they both were teachers, both lost the love of their life and both had a child after being told they couldn't. They also look a little similar and I think the long-running Sally/Leah and Libby/Steph friendships were quite similar too.
  • The Sutherlands and Scullys (two brand new families with three daughters) both arrived a few months apart.

I feel Don Fisher had a few Paul Robinson traits in him when H&A began, as well as the fact they looked a bit like each other.

Martin Dibble could have passed as Scott Robinson's brother.

Tom Fletcher was the Max Ramsay type figure in the early years, just not as fiery.

I think it is fun comparing characters from both shows, seeing as they do this with Corrie and EE plus Neighbours and H&A are the longest running Aussie soaps ever, and the most iconic.

But going back to the original topic, Ailsa I feel was the closest thing H&A has had to Helen Daniels. They even had similar sounding voices and facial expressions.

Archived