Vale: Jeff Truman

Guest QUIET ACHIEVER

Vale: Jeff Truman
By David Knox on December 2, 2014

2014-12-02_1259.jpg

Screenwriter and actor Jeff Truman, whose prolific body of work includes scripts for Neighbours, Packed to the Rafters, Underbelly, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Stingers, All Saints and Play School, has died, aged 57.

It’s understood he passed away in hospital with family and friends keeping vigil.

His family has paid tribute to his body of work, as both writer and performer, with more than 200 hours of screenwriting credits in Australia.

Truman received five AWGIE nominations, winning the award for Best Original Mini Series in 2013 for Underbelly: Badness.

His writing credits also include Rescue Special Ops, Wonderland, Fat Tony & Co., Tricky Business, Sea Patrol, City Homicide, The Strip, The Alice, Last Man Standing, McLeod’s Daughters, Blue Heelers, Above the Law, A Country Practice, Father of the Pride, Something in the Air, Home and Away, Shortland Street and E Street.

He has also written 2 of the upcoming episodes of the Rebecca Gibney series Winter.

He wrote the feature film Envy which premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 1999.

His acting credits include Superman Returns, The Quiet American, Bliss, Flirting, envy as well as roles on A Place to Call Home, Puberty Blues, Underbelly, All Saints, Stingers, Blue Heelers, Home and Away, Police Rescue, GP, A Country Practice, The Flying Doctors, Patrol Boat and Scales of Justice.

The Australian Writers’ Guild is yet to formally pay tribute to Jeff Truman but colleagues have described him as “a great bloke and a bloody good writer.”

Source: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/12/vale-jeff-truman.html

Jeff Truman played Sam Barlow in the Early Years episodes back in 1988 and also wrote various episodes for "Home and Away".

Very sad news! I remember him as Sam Barlow (Sandra Barlow's dad who was dating Steven at the time). He also had a massive grudge against Tom Fletcher. Dan is also right in saying that he also played the role of Sarah Thompson's father as well which pretty much put the idea of Sam ever returning to bed after that.

He was also very extensive in writing for many Australian dramas such as Underbelly, City Homicide, Blue Heelers and of course Neighbours which he had been doing just last year from memory.

Apparently he passed away from a massive brain bleed (which suggests to me it was a stroke) which I read on another source online that wasn't David Knox.

Vale Jeff Truman! Too young at 57!

RIP Jeff Truman. Gone too soon at 57, 1957-2014.

This means he was 31 in 1988 when he played Sam Barlow.

I thought he was a lot older than 31 when he played Sam Barlow so it surprised me when I found out.

I got the impression he was in his early 40s when he played him initially. Maybe Sam was in his 40s but the actor was a lot younger. Funny thing to think about is someone like Steve Peacocke is older currently than when Jeff played Sam Barlow back in 1988.

Archived