Andy Barrett - Tai Hara

I think Andy usually gets blamed for his wrongdoings in the sense of "That's your fault", but it doesn't really mean anything.He runs a car off the road with the clear intent of either killing or seriously injuring the occupants, gets a few weeks in jail, then gets released for the usual contrived reasons(while his mother, who was no worse than him and actually came off better a lot of the time, gets left to rot because she's the wrong demographic).He spikes Maddy's drink in order to cause trouble between her and Josh:Sure, he made sure she didn't drown, but if someone had taken advantage of her in that state he'd probably have thought "Job done, Josh won't want her now." Maddy reports him but Josh lies to protect him, Alf bans him from the caravan park but he's back staying there within a few episodes with no explanation, and Josh doesn't talk to him for a week or so, then Maddy's the one who has to back down and tolerate him for Josh's sake.He got no real punishment for drug dealing and ruining Zac's relationship with his family by letting him be blamed, beyond Alf kicking him out again, Hannah breaking up with him (possibly not for good) and Josh not talking to him for a bit again, after which he went straight back to dealing and working for Jake, having learnt nothing.Then he murders Jake and it's written as if he did nothing wrong, with the police practically being portrayed as the villains who "wouldn't understand".From where we are now in the UK (October 2014), it looks as though the storyline's over and it's just yet another action with no consequences, except this time it really is a step too far.

Yeah, he's had his softer moments, but no more so than Brax and Casey.I think Brax would have done most of what he's done in the right circumstances, although drugging a teenage girl is probably a line he wouldn't cross.Casey I don't think would have done any of it.There's a line and Andy's the one that's crossed it, and the slate can't be wiped clean with a few brotherly moments and being nice to children.I'd like to think the producers are keeping this in reserve and Andy will go to jail for murder when the time comes for him to leave, but if so trying to make us like him in the meantime seems a very strange way to handle it.

• Like 1

I think Andy usually gets blamed for his wrongdoings in the sense of "That's your fault", but it doesn't really mean anything.He runs a car off the road with the clear intent of either killing or seriously injuring the occupants, gets a few weeks in jail, then gets released for the usual contrived reasons(while his mother, who was no worse than him and actually came off better a lot of the time, gets left to rot because she's the wrong demographic).He spikes Maddy's drink in order to cause trouble between her and Josh:Sure, he made sure she didn't drown, but if someone had taken advantage of her in that state he'd probably have thought "Job done, Josh won't want her now." Maddy reports him but Josh lies to protect him, Alf bans him from the caravan park but he's back staying there within a few episodes with no explanation, and Josh doesn't talk to him for a week or so, then Maddy's the one who has to back down and tolerate him for Josh's sake.He got no real punishment for drug dealing and ruining Zac's relationship with his family by letting him be blamed, beyond Alf kicking him out again, Hannah breaking up with him (possibly not for good) and Josh not talking to him for a bit again, after which he went straight back to dealing and working for Jake, having learnt nothing.Then he murders Jake and it's written as if he did nothing wrong, with the police practically being portrayed as the villains who "wouldn't understand".From where we are now in the UK (October 2014), it looks as though the storyline's over and it's just yet another action with no consequences, except this time it really is a step too far.

Yeah, he's had his softer moments, but no more so than Brax and Casey.I think Brax would have done most of what he's done in the right circumstances, although drugging a teenage girl is probably a line he wouldn't cross.Casey I don't think would have done any of it.There's a line and Andy's the one that's crossed it, and the slate can't be wiped clean with a few brotherly moments and being nice to children.I'd like to think the producers are keeping this in reserve and Andy will go to jail for murder when the time comes for him to leave, but if so trying to make us like him in the meantime seems a very strange way to handle it.

Ivé imagined Andy dying because Brax shots him in defense. Is that just me?

• 3 weeks later...

At first I didn't like Andy after what he did to Casey and Maddy but now I like him. He is a good big brother to Josh sometimes. I think he needs to grow a back bone with Hannah though she keeps changing her mind about him and she snaps her fingers and he comes running. I hope one day he tells her to get stuffed.

• 2 months later...

And again, as with Heath before him, we're supposed to ignore all the violence and crime this scumbag has been responsible for. And as with Heath he's suddenly had a complete personality transplant. All due to the right woman.

Please, not again. Every time I see his smirk I usually turn off the TV. (It saves my poor TV from random flying objects).

Dan, please kill this douchebag off. SOON. Pretty, pretty, please.

The problem with Andy for me is that he has killed Jake. It would of been much better if he had never been found out in that way it would of been quite cool. Because not many characters on TV manage to hide that they are a killer and get away with it But with Andy it was a way to save Brax. People found out and just turned the other cheek. The cops even gave up. And now everyone is starting to see Andy as a new guy.

• Like 1

Andy isn't any worse than any other... He turned of the life supporting machine, yes, but Jake was already kind of dead.

It was Brax who actually killed him with the race hunt for Jake.

Casey and Brax was nice from the start

Certainly not!

They came in with a bang and destroyed the diner, hurt a lot of others together with the rest of the River Boys. Miles was really hurt and ended up in hospital.

Everything was about gang wars and violence.. And Brax was the gang leader, but manipulated Heath to do the bad things so he could be the one to blame. Casey was probably a bit better, there were some hopes for him... but he was to fascinated with the violence and he looked up to Brax which certainly wasn't a good thing.

Andy has never been like this. He was just a wannabe thug, who is kind at heart. He pushed Maddy and Casey off the road, but it has always felt like Andy had some anger problems and problems with finding his place in the world. He was only looking for love. He was afraid of loosing Josh, and really acted in wrong ways. But there was always glimpse of a lost boy there. And the boy needed to be found. I think Casey's death was the final straw for Andy, so he could pull himself together and start a new life.

All Andy did was having contacts with Jake. He didn't know who and how dangerous he was. And when he discovered what Andy was up to, it was already to late. And Casey made some really bad decisions to involve himself, as he always did. And Brax and Jake were enemies long, long before Andy showed up.

So I think that the Barrets, and especially Andy were brought in just to make the Braxtons look better, even Braxtons made the crimes by themselves most of the times. I think the Barrets were never meant to be a replacement to the Braxtons as people thought. They were brought in far too early for that. It is very clear for me that Ash is brought in to be the substitute for Brax, when Brax leaves...

So I think that the Barrets, especially Andy has got underserved much hate. Andy is starting a journey to become a better person, and I think it is interesting to follow him on that journey. I really hope not that Andy will reverse, go back to his old self, by the end of his stay on the show...