Vinnie "VJ" Patterson Jnr - Felix Dean & Matt Little

Perry

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I am somewhat disappointed to look at this thread and find people still making the same comments that they (and I) were making a year ago.Which is hypocritical of me, because there are characters I haven't changed my opinion of in the last year despite "character development".But I stopped thinking of him as "the new VJ" about six or seven months ago, and as far as I'm concerned he's just VJ.Yes, as recasts go it wasn't the best, but I've moved on.

Ironically, the turning point for me seemed to coincide with the UK break in May.I think a big problem with the recast was that VJ wasn't just too old, he was also a jerk.It was a big mistake to give him the Leah in a coma storyline at a time when the audience had been given no reason to warm to him apart from the familiar name.When he's yelling at Zac and punching Matt, we take their side, because they're the ones with the faces we recognise and who we believe have a connection to Leah.I think someone realised that and so he suddenly became a lot more likable.I loved the way he suddenly became supportive of Zac and defended him to Leah.I don't think the difference between him and Will McDonald was really that noticeable by the end, or else I'd just got used to it, and yes, it does help having him stand next to Josh and Matt, who also look too old.I'm not even sure the "He's too big" argument applies anymore.If you saw him stood next to Felix Dean as he is now, rather than sticking photos of him next to Felix Dean from 2010, the difference in height and build might not be as obvious as people think.

30 minutes ago, Wanderer101 said:

I don't mind the 'new' VJ now, it's been over a year and I'm used to it. it's fine.

And I am a bit dissapointed that you have got used to it and think the recast is just fine. I don't think I will get used to it even in 3-5 months. Or with other words, well I have got used to Matt Little as VJ, but I still find him extremely wrong for the role. He will never suit that role at all. And as I have said many times, it is not about Mr. Little's size. Vinnie was not a little man. He probably got too much muscles in a blink of a moment, but I can overlook that. But I had to laugh when I saw today's ep here in Norway. Irene had collected pictures for an album for Leah (after the fire), and Irene, Marilyn, Leah and Zac were looking at it. Leah commented on how little VJ was at one of the pictures And then Irene commented "He isn't a little boy anymore. What on earth have you been feeding him". :lol: But the size doesn't bother me that much. He isn't much bigger than the other teen characters. 

But to be honest Jake Speer or Jackson Gallagher are better at playing teens with all that emotions and range of emotions a teenager has. And They are older than Matt Little. At least Matt Little should have played a different teenager. I think he was better at being a jerk, like he was in the beginning after the recast. He could have played a bad boy instead. I don't think he is suited to play VJ, Vinnie and Leah's son. Because he is not supposed to be a jerk or a bad boy, and they are now putting him in more emotional scenes which don't suit the actor. 

But when people now are saying they are used to the new actor, it feels like you have accepted this bad recast. And I feel that this is exactly what the producers thought when they casted Matt Little (and other who hasn't been good in their role, or unfit for it), "people will complain for a while and then they will accept him". And then they will do the same mistake over again. 

Edited by jodlebirger

2 hours ago, ~Lynd~ said:

Are we really going down the ''I'm disappointed you don't agree with me'' route here?People aren't likely to change their minds at this point and that's their right.

I feel that this "I'm disappointed..." dialogue between me and RR1 was written with a tongue in the cheek (a playful tone). Sometimes we wish that people could agree with us, don't we? 

Apologies if my phrasing upset some people.I guess I'm surprised more than anything at the continued dislike of the character.I get that there's always going to be some people who aren't going to accept a recast (after all, there's still people complaining about Pippa being recast 25 years on).It's just I felt that the show had made the best of the job and improved the writing for the character, and stopped assuming we'd all like him just because he had a familiar name and did their best to win round the audience's sympathies, so I thought it would have had more effect on general opinion than it apparently has.I don't think Matt Little's any more unconvincing as a teenager than other cast members, I think he just has the added disadvantage of playing a character that someone else has played in the past.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Apologies if my phrasing upset some people.I guess I'm surprised more than anything at the continued dislike of the character.I get that there's always going to be some people who aren't going to accept a recast (after all, there's still people complaining about Pippa being recast 25 years on).It's just I felt that the show had made the best of the job and improved the writing for the character, and stopped assuming we'd all like him just because he had a familiar name and did their best to win round the audience's sympathies, so I thought it would have had more effect on general opinion than it apparently has.I don't think Matt Little's any more unconvincing as a teenager than other cast members, I think he just has the added disadvantage of playing a character that someone else has played in the past.

I decided some time ago to willingly forget history and just treat him as a new character.  I actually still think that as a new character he's still finding his way.  

• Like 1

But that's the point, I don't like the way he is portrayed and played at all, no matter if I look at him as a new character or not. Really because I don't like this type of characters. He lacks depth for me. And he doesn't feel like a main character. 

Many years ago when Flynn was recasted I struggled in the beginning because I thought the two actors were really too different. But I got used to him rather quickly because he had a lot of chemistry with Sally, even better than the previous one. And he got storylines that suited him, the new Flynn.... I don't think that is the case with VJ. It feels to me that VJ is in a vacuum and the writers tried to make him a bad boy first, but that didn't work and now it seems like they don't know what to do with him. He has almost been in it for a year here in Norway (July eps), and he still mopes around. He has had some storylines with Leah, but I feel that the focus has been on Zac and VJ hasn't really shined or had a big part in any of the storylines. I feel that is strange, when they got someone that old to play him. I expected that he got more significant storylines. 

I feel they have to work more with VJ and make him a character on his own. He still feel like a part time character, and not one of the main cast. 

Edited by jodlebirger
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I realized recently that I have got over the recast and accepted him as VJ. Yes, the recast was appalling but its done and my old love for the character kicked back in recently.

Reading support for Hunter and criticism of mean Veej picking on poor little Hunter over the fire did it for me

Hunter is a character who in no way has been redeemed for me. Not least because he has yet to confess to the Diner break in and the subsequent consequences, including Denny's death (remember her anyone).

I feel VJ was expressing justifiable anger. It was every one else's response I've found inexplicable.

I had a random thought. I wonder how much more support VJ would have if it was Felix still???

I suspect the answer is quite a lot.

Also I do admit that Matt Little doesn't stick out like a sore thumb  now that he is surrounded by equally miscast 20 something's, posing as teens. 

• Like 5

I agree entirely.When people say they like Hunter more than VJ, I just think "...Why?" On one hand we've got a self-centred man child who set fire to a house with people inside, put several people in hospital, put an innocent bystander through months of hell just because she was a convenient scapegoat and indirectly caused a number of deaths, on the other we've got a decent young man who used to be played by a different actor. Seems like a no-brainer.I really don't get why people who seem to like Olivia were pleased she preferred Hunter to VJ (or why Irene stands around smiling placidly at every guardian's worst nightmare).I'd like to call it Misaimed Fandom, yet I've got a horrible feeling that VJ's meant to be wrong and we're meant to agree that somehow Hunter's crimes should be instantly forgiven and he shouldn't face any real consequences.Which makes me more than a little uncomfortable.There seems to be a double standard where Hunter managing to refrain from nearly killing anyone for a couple of months means he's suddenly okay, whereas VJ has been behaving himself for nearly a year and wasn't really that bad in the first place (What's the worst thing he's done, punch Matt?Who hasn't?) and still gets a load of hatred on a regular basis.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I agree entirely.When people say they like Hunter more than VJ, I just think "...Why?" On one hand we've got a self-centred man child who set fire to a house with people inside, put several people in hospital, put an innocent bystander through months of hell just because she was a convenient scapegoat and indirectly caused a number of deaths, on the other we've got a decent young man who used to be played by a different actor. Seems like a no-brainer.I really don't get why people who seem to like Olivia were pleased she preferred Hunter to VJ (or why Irene stands around smiling placidly at every guardian's worst nightmare).I'd like to call it Misaimed Fandom, yet I've got a horrible feeling that VJ's meant to be wrong and we're meant to agree that somehow Hunter's crimes should be instantly forgiven and he shouldn't face any real consequences.Which makes me more than a little uncomfortable.There seems to be a double standard where Hunter managing to refrain from nearly killing anyone for a couple of months means he's suddenly okay, whereas VJ has been behaving himself for nearly a year and wasn't really that bad in the first place (What's the worst thing he's done, punch Matt?Who hasn't?) and still gets a load of hatred on a regular basis.

Actually I was kind of hoping someone would punch Matt again the other day when he was making fun of Oscar again.

Sigh!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...