1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Bear in mind Debra was pregnant for reals in the middle of a demanding story that required a lot of emotions and I think her real=life weariness comes out in scenes.

And it was Michael that was willing to sling Fin out over the boy issue.

John Adam was clearly cast for looks, he's not the worst actor but I don't recall *him* being up for a Logie in 1994! :D

Luke was dressed like a dole-bludging hippie and making a nuisance of himself with his noisy saxophone. Michael didn't like the way the scruffy man was "liking" little sally.

Luke definitely reminds me of Grant Mitchell, the way he wants to challenge Mr Fisher's authority, and egged on by Bobby who describes her own father as one who bullies the teachers.

It is a shame Sophie threw her life away: she turned from a dyslexic-turned-high achieving student with hopes to the future, to a hopeless single mum with no future, the moment that creep set foot in Summer Bay in mid-91. He should have been drowned at birth (alongside "Revhead"). He should have been castrated.

Oh come on, That's a bit extreme about Luke. I actually found the "Oi! Cut that out immediately!" and "Have you got a permit for that?!" and the "If I hear one more squawk outta that thing..." kind of funny.

In Michael's defence, Luke's comments about 14yo girls really *didn't* help his case. :lol::lol::lol:

I've set the "THAT'S ENOUGH" sound and "OY!! CUT THAT OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!" as some of my Alert Beep sound effects on my computer.

Really excited for 1993. I have waited a long time to see this season again....

In my opinion this is a great year, one of the show's best.

Just love Debra's Pippa and Michael, great onscreen chemistry. Tom and Vanessa's Pippa are long gone for me!!

Sorry just felt the sudden urge to let my feelings out!! Must be the excitement.

No, Pippa said to Fin, you will only be coming back to get your things.

I just find it hard imagine Vanessa Pippa ever saying that to one of her foster children.

I am just saying I don't think Debra's Pippa is any more mummsy then Vanessa's Pippa.

I don't mean to be difficult but I am just saying people always talk about Pippa when she is played by Debra Lawrence as though she is a saint and can never do any wrong.

When really she has same flaws as as all other mothers who have been on the show!.

I think it is just her later returns that make us forget how she was portrayed as gradually becoming more tired with life in Summer Bay and the situations she and her kids found themselves in.

Her returns show just her best moments, giving advice and just cracking on, business as usual with the housework with little effort.

What's with Michael, Alf, Alsa & Pippa discussing Blake & Fin's relationship, since when was it their business to dictate whether or not they can have a relationship? What's Sophie got to do with it? Why can't they get straight to the point instead of beating around the bush, vaguely going on about the "decisions" they are making and how Alf is responsible for Blake while he is under his roof? Do the Home And Away producers deliberately do this to annoy their viewers with this kind of weaselling??

Basically, they're worried in case Blake gets Fin up the pole ala Sophie. No danger of that as Blake buggers off in a matter of weeks!

And in more recent (this week, UK) Alf did his block over Maddie/Josh Barrett (for those of us that bother with the current product), so not too much has changed! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brace yourselves, I'm going to make a radical statement here but... I don't think I like Lynne McGranger's Irene as much as Jacqui Phillips'.

That's not to say Lynne isn't good. In fact I'd go so far as to say she is excellent. She has really got the character that Jacqui created down to a tee. But I just really enjoyed Jacqui's performance and it's such a shame we didn't get to see her play Irene now that she is recovering. Suddenly seeing Lynne McGranger come in as the new "nice" Irene makes it feel disjointed. I would have liked either to see Jacqui play a fraction of "nice" Irene, or see Lynne playing drunk Irene before getting off the grog. It would just have made the recast flow better.

Even though Irene "saw the light" at the end of her last stint, it was a very short scene and she left immediately after. I didn't buy everybody suddenly being SO nice to her when she returned. OK, so we can imagine that Finlay and Damien have passed on news about how well their mother is doing and we can also imagine people were giving her a break since her daughter was in hospital. But things like Pippa offering to let her stay in the house, when during their last meetings Irene made it clear how much she HATES Pippa and "do-gooders" like her, again it didn't flow well. A little bit of bridge-building would have been nice.

Archived