1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

[3] The "friendzoning" of some guys but not others. This is a serious problem in our society, one that ruins lives, and through no fault of his own. It is sad that this problem is ignored, swept under the carpet and never treated or attempt to be solved.

How can that be 'treated' though? No one can change and/or alter natural attraction. Girls are also placed in the 'friend-zone', the same as guys are. Just being 'nice' and getting along well with someone doesn't necessarily mean a romantic connection will or should follow. There are people we are attracted to who may not be attracted to us in the same way.

Hypothetically, I would think that there would be loads of girls interested in Damien because he's a decent, rational and caring guy and they are attractive qualities.

I do think that the pressure some guys feel to reach a certain physical standard isn't taken as seriously and is seen as a more of a joke, compared to the pressure woman feel - which is taken far more seriously. Both guys and girls who are not comfortable (or not made to feel comfortable) being either too skinny (guys) or too fat (girls) feel the same pressures and insecurities. I think it's a good storyline for Damien to have.

Emotional episodes last week, interesting to see the storyline pan out episode by episode. Great acting by all.

I think they should have milked Bobby's response to Pippa questioning her about Dale's death a little bit more than they did. She left the house in tears and then by the next episode/day she seemed to have thought about it rationally and was reasonably ok. I would have preferred to have seen that on screen during the next episode and concentrate on Bobby's guilt a little bit more. After all, she did miscarry and really Pippa's response was quite insensitive and unfair. Hopefully we'll see the two of them discuss it in later episodes.

Imogen comes across as very selfish and I was expecting Roxy to be a lot more angry than she was. She seemed to feel sorry for her more than anything, despite the fact that she kissed her boyfriend and has been trying to 'steal' him from her. Talk about being patient.

Enjoying Damo's storyline as he attempts to 'improve' himself. Fin is being annoying. I think she's being a bit of a typical big sister and missing the point.

I like how Shane will stick up for what he believes in. This week we've seen it in his support and friendship with Damien (even if he is going about it unconventionally) and also the encyclopedia trip with Adam. I found some of their scenes pretty funny (typical Adam).

The 1993 episodes are really strong Imo I enjoy pretty much everything about them. Although I did cringe at how they made the 'bad singer' overweight and greasy haired.

A week behind but having a catchup with YouTube and an HDMI cable and yeah I remember Dale like it was yesterday.

1222 was the lunchtime only episode in the UK. I remember setting the video for it first thing before going to school after the huge cliffhanger of the previous episode hitting me out of nowhere. Absolutely numbed the hell out of the 9 year old me on its first showing. It was repeated during the 2012 Summer Break on 5*.

Haven't seen any of the surrounding episodes or the build up since the ITV airing, Epic acting and writing.

Just to add to this, I can now confirm for anoraks after 20 years that ITV ran their own recap on 1223. The 7Two version just has the ambulance leaving, but ITV had about three/four minutes recapping the lunchtime only episode followed by the very first instance of shortened end credits. Which following Pippa's big breakdown jarred a bit violently.

Melissa George blatantly overdubbed in 1224.

Archived