1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Why is the whole town in mourning over Dale's death, it really only concerns Pippa (and to some extent, Michael). Why is Sally crying like a little baby like it's the end of her world? I can understand Bobby up to a point, feeling guilty about leaving the baby "dead to the world" but there is a limit.

Well, it is a close community - it is only the Ross's circle who are in mourning, fairly naturally. Entirely reasonable for Sally to weep over the death of effectively her infant stepbrother, wouldn't you say? Exactly and this is Pippa & Michael's child, a couple which the community sees caring for other people's children to then have one of their own which died, they'd all be sad for them.

Why is the whole town in mourning over Dale's death, it really only concerns Pippa (and to some extent, Michael). Why is Sally crying like a little baby like it's the end of her world? I can understand Bobby up to a point, feeling guilty about leaving the baby "dead to the world" but there is a limit.

Well, it is a close community - it is only the Ross's circle who are in mourning, fairly naturally. Entirely reasonable for Sally to weep over the death of effectively her infant stepbrother, wouldn't you say?

Mr Fisher was in mourning also. He changed his mind about the encyclopedias because he didn't care anymore. Mr Fisher isn't even part of the Ross family!

Dale her infant stepbrother???? Oh my god....that is drawing a bit of a long bow isn't it?? Ultimately it really should only affect the mother because it is the mother who had the baby in the first place.

Well, it is a close community - it is only the Ross's circle who are in mourning, fairly naturally. Entirely reasonable for Sally to weep over the death of effectively her infant stepbrother, wouldn't you say?

Mr Fisher was in mourning also. He changed his mind about the encyclopedias because he didn't care anymore. Mr Fisher isn't even part of the Ross family!

Dale her infant stepbrother???? Oh my god....that is drawing a bit of a long bow isn't it?? Ultimately it really should only affect the mother because it is the mother who had the baby in the first place. I disagree with your comment that only the mother is affected.

When a mother loses a child at any age and due to any cause it would naturally affect the whole family. Friends would also feel upset at the family's loss.

Pippa and Michael are a well liked and respected couple in Summer Bay who devote their time to fostering children.

When they shared their good news that they were expecting a baby of their own, friends were really happy and pleased for them. Therefore it seems fairly obvious to me that their friends including Don Fisher, who also lost a child, would share in Pippa and Michael's grief and also feel upset at the premature loss of Baby Dale.

Sally has every reason to weep over Dale's passing, he was for a short while as mentioned above effectively her stepbrother, her reaction is perfectly normal.

The acting during the emotional episodes this week has been outstanding. I think Episode 1222 won an award in 1993, you can see why....

Dale her infant stepbrother???? Oh my god....that is drawing a bit of a long bow isn't it?? Ultimately it really should only affect the mother because it is the mother who had the baby in the first place.

So if you had a son and then he died only a few months down the track, you don't think it would have that much impact on you?

So how should Sally - a sensitive young teenage girl - have reacted to seeing a little baby die in front of her? This is not a rhetorical question. I want to know how you would have written Sally's reaction to that scene. Should she have been sad, upset, indifferent, happy, overjoyed?? Maybe she should have asked Pippa there and then if she could have her friends over for a big party and have boys round and play spin the bottle because hey - it was only her step brother, right? Why should she care? I really want to know how you think she should have reacted.

Beau_T, Fin didn't quite put on the performance Sally did, so I would have written it similar to how Fin acted it out, not the blubbering mess she displayed.

There is no need for the spin-the-bottle or party sarcasm, I just fail to understand why a "stepbrother" is so important! Like I said, Finlay didn't put on quite such a performance, wasn't it also her "stepbrother"???

Michael is also sad but is also not a blubbering mess, but yes I do believe Pippa has every right to be a blubbering mess.

It really doesn't help to answer my questions back with sarcasm. Some of us do have the right to ask questions and expect more scientific explanations than just "little babies dying in front of them".

Yes, you're quite right - the episode was totally unrealistic. In the real world close family and friends would barely have noticed that the baby had died, and would have been totally unconcerned about it if they had, as only the mother would be affected.

It would have been totally natural for Michael and the rest of the family to complain that the ambulance had blocked the driveway and that their evening meal had been unreasonably delayed, especially as Pippa no longer had to care for the child so could have fixed them a more lavish dinner - to celebrate that the costs of Dale's upbringing had been removed so their financial worries had been somewhat eased. Trebles all round!

Archived