1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I missed Friday's episode because my stupid PVR didn't record it because of a power blackout. That would have been funny, Irene and the shelves.

What's Fin's problem with her mother? She never has any faith in Irene and I'm glad Ailsa had a bit of a go at her for not being fair on her.

Sarah shoudn't waste her time on Tug. He and Shane are just as bad as each other and Shane acting all nice to Fisher. Did I miss something??

What's Fin's problem with her mother? She never has any faith in Irene and I'm glad Ailsa had a bit of a go at her for not being fair on her.

Fin has been giving with one hand and taking away with the other. She has been supporting and encouraging Irene and yet at the same time, showing no confidence in her, and I actually think this is good writing because for years Finlay has seen Irene go through this before, and it always ends with Irene returning to her old ways. You really can't blame her for having little faith in Irene because she has been let down so many times in the past. We have heard this so many times from Finlay ever since she first arrived in the bay in 1991, so really it wouldn't make any sense for her to be behaving in any other way towards her mum.

She loves her mum and she wants her to succeed, but she can't allow herself to really believe it will happen because she can't face the disappointment again.

So, goodbye Blake, despite his insistence that he'll be back.(You're not on the opening titles, Blake.You won't be back.Fin knows it and we know it.)In conception, if not in execution, it's oddly similar to Simon's exit, with both of them giving up the lives they've built for themselves in Summer Bay to keep a family member on the straight and narrow, in a move that might be the right thing for said family member but probably isn't for them.Which means it's also the end of Blake and Fin, and again later developments mean I can't imagine an off screen reunion.Oh well, I suppose they both end up happy with other people.Maybe.

Nick talking Shane off the rock by threatening to jump with him is one of those scenes that's really stuck in my head, to the point I could quote half the lines.Well, vague paraphrases of them anyway. It's a nice bonding moment, coupled with the fact that for all his bravado with Tug and his cronies Shane does actually seem affected.I agree that with Blake and Sophie gone we are starting to see one of the classic teen groups settling in, with Shane, Damian, Tug and Sarah in place

and Angel arriving in about 25 episodes.

Irene's tenure at the store is quite decent comedy, especially the mounting disbelief on Ailsa's features.And Adam's conscience kicking in over Tug.

I felt really bad for Fin when Blake left and she was left crying at the Bus stop. Blake didn't have alot of conviction in his voice whenever he said I'll be back. Its a pity the writers didn't start this romance a bit earlier. I think it had alot of potential and gave both characters much needed purpose.

So, goodbye Blake, despite his insistence that he'll be back.(You're not on the opening titles, Blake.You won't be back.Fin knows it and we know it.)In conception, if not in execution, it's oddly similar to Simon's exit, with both of them giving up the lives they've built for themselves in Summer Bay to keep a family member on the straight and narrow, in a move that might be the right thing for said family member but probably isn't for them.Which means it's also the end of Blake and Fin, and again later developments mean I can't imagine an off screen reunion.Oh well, I suppose they both end up happy with other people.Maybe.

Nick talking Shane off the rock by threatening to jump with him is one of those scenes that's really stuck in my head, to the point I could quote half the lines.Well, vague paraphrases of them anyway. It's a nice bonding moment, coupled with the fact that for all his bravado with Tug and his cronies Shane does actually seem affected.I agree that with Blake and Sophie gone we are starting to see one of the classic teen groups settling in, with Shane, Damian, Tug and Sarah in place

and Angel arriving in about 25 episodes.

Irene's tenure at the store is quite decent comedy, especially the mounting disbelief on Ailsa's features.And Adam's conscience kicking in over Tug.

I felt really bad for Fin when Blake left and she was left crying at the Bus stop. Blake didn't have alot of conviction in his voice whenever he said I'll be back. Its a pity the writers didn't start this romance a bit earlier. I think it had alot of potential and gave both characters much needed purpose.

I'd of loved this relationship to start a bit earlier I felt there was a lot more to come from the 2 of them and the chemistry seemed to be there on screen with them, I was guttered when Blake left i'd of liked him to have stayed on the show as im a massive fan of his.

Also love Irene at the store very funny stuff. I hated Shane when he first joined and right until he went to Juvie and then he started to grow on me and there's a lot more to come from him with Angel arriving.

Fin has been giving with one hand and taking away with the other. She has been supporting and encouraging Irene and yet at the same time, showing no confidence in her, and I actually think this is good writing because for years Finlay has seen Irene go through this before, and it always ends with Irene returning to her old ways. You really can't blame her for having little faith in Irene because she has been let down so many times in the past. We have heard this so many times from Finlay ever since she first arrived in the bay in 1991, so really it wouldn't make any sense for her to be behaving in any other way towards her mum.

She loves her mum and she wants her to succeed, but she can't allow herself to really believe it will happen because she can't face the disappointment again.

This is one of my favourite ongoing storylines at the moment. I'm really enjoying it.

There was a danger of Fin getting lost in the mix with the rest of her age group gone:As will become common over the years, it seems like she's been kept in school because no-one could think of another way to keep her on the show.(They'll eventually figure out how to send people to college and keep them on the show, but so far the only person that's gone to college is Steven and that meant he left:Everyone else dropped out of school, left town before graduating or got their HSC but didn't bother with college.)It can be hard at times to remember she was still on the show for quite a while after this, but so far they've done a good job at keeping her in a central role and her pep pill storyline is straddling a nice line between keeping her sympathetic while leaving the viewer frustrated at her behaviour, as well as giving Sally something decent to do.Musical bedrooms time at the Ross house again:It's a bit weird that Fin and Sally get a big room each while Damian is stuck in the attic and he's the one that usually ends up sharing.(In fact, it appears Irene is still in with him, whereas I'd have thought she'd have moved into Sophie's room.)It's noticeable that Michael keeps popping up for just one scene, possibly because of Dennis Coard's paternity leave.

Don's psychological punishment of Shane was brilliant, with the way that instead of just getting mad he kind of toyed with him on a hook.That smile he gave him when Damian was encouraging Shane to go for a minor punishment was great.

The dynamic in the beach house seems a bit schizophrenic:One episode Adam's sympathising with Sarah while Greg's treating her like a skivvy, the next episode it's the other way round.Adam's tough love attitude towards Tug seems to be paying dividends and gives the character something to do.

I'm guessing that the staffing problems at the kiosk are leading up to the Rosses taking it over.

One small strange thing I've noticed recently is that the current writer(s) don't seem to know how to compose grammatical sentences, concerning '[name} and I' or "[name] and me'.

'[Name] and I are going on a picnic' is of course correct as the subjects.

So often I've heard Fin and other characters in recent episodes saying things like 'Everything's great between Blake and I', when it should be "...Blake and me', as objects of the sentence.

Ailsa and another character said something similar last week so I doubt they're trying to ascribe this flaw to Fin as one character - I wish they'd get writers who could actually write grammatically...

I loved Don conning Shane into doing the housework for a month. Dons been good for Shane lately. Hope this keeps this up because Shane is slowly growing on me now.

So Irene is staying at the Ross's for good? Its amazing that she's fit in so well and she makes a good housekeeper for them :P

Sarah-I'm a bit meh at the moment. She comes off as a goody-two-shoes. But I'm gad Adam is sticking up for her and hate the way Greg is. I've always disliked Greg because he's a bit of a tool.

And I'm a bit scared of the upcoming storyline.

its going to get dark real soon with Dale's death

:( not looking forward to this storyline

One small strange thing I've noticed recently is that the current writer(s) don't seem to know how to compose grammatical sentences, concerning '[name} and I' or "[name] and me'.

'[Name] and I are going on a picnic' is of course correct as the subjects.

So often I've heard Fin and other characters in recent episodes saying things like 'Everything's great between Blake and I', when it should be "...Blake and me', as objects of the sentence.

Ailsa and another character said something similar last week so I doubt they're trying to ascribe this flaw to Fin as one character - I wish they'd get writers who could actually write grammatically...

Remember the writers are writing dialogue for characters here. As regular people, they aren't supposed to know English in the way the the writers do. In fairness I do think the distinction between using 'I' or 'Me' in that sort of context can be quite difficult to grasp, I often get muddled too.

Archived