1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Since when was David twice her age?It's not like she was 10 or something.Keeping the fact that your daughter's boyfriend is dead from her is bad parenting whatever you might think of the relationship, as both Pippa and Michael quickly realised when they saw they'd just made things worse for Sophie.And why are we still talking about that anyway?That was 1991!

As for Bobby, I agree she wasn't that close to David as family, she only met him a month or so before he died, but she did like him, certainly more than she did Morag.

.(Except that, given the rather strange direction Sophie's storyline goes in the 2000s, it seems almost certain that she and Karen had that conversation at some point, just when they were both older and wiser.And off screen.)

I seem to recall when Sophie and Blake came back in 2002, Sophie asks Blake how Karen is doing, and he replies that she had a drinking problem but is getting over it now. Can you correct me if I'm wrong and fill in any gaps?

Also, is it 1993 or 1994:

the infamous Finlay/window handle/car wash incident?

I have to admit I don't remember what Blake said about Karen in 2002 but I'm sure I've read that we were eventually told she'd sorted herself out, got married and settled down.

I also have to admit I don't remember the other incident you mentioned.Anyone?

Since when was David twice her age?It's not like she was 10 or something.Keeping the fact that your daughter's boyfriend is dead from her is bad parenting whatever you might think of the relationship, as both Pippa and Michael quickly realised when they saw they'd just made things worse for Sophie.And why are we still talking about that anyway?That was 1991!

As for Bobby, I agree she wasn't that close to David as family, she only met him a month or so before he died, but she did like him, certainly more than she did Morag.

Why are we talking about this sad excuse for a human being still? It's because people are still talking about David on the show, like Alf for instance. And when Sophie left, it was to live with David's mother. So yeah, he is still being brought up.

Not quite twice her age? Let's not split hairs, there is no denying there was a huge age difference, and getting someone pregnant while being still a schoolgirl is hardly a good look.

Bad parenting is knowingly or negligently letting your child get taken advantage of by an adult. And the fact Sophie got pregnant, goes to show if it wasn't for the fact she was only just above legal consent for sex, it was not much above pedophillia.

Archived