1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Cute? I dunno.....I mean......I just think the idea of "pet names" is just plain silly.

Now, regarding Karen. Nice of Alf to welcome her back with open arms ...... sounding off about "David's mother" and "young Sophie". (:cry: oh BOO HOO :sniffle:) If I remember correctly (now having seen the past episodes for myself I have been denied for the past 20-odd years), Karen and Sophie were good mates. Oh and secondly, how is Sophie relevant anyway, she's already gone? Was Karen's return timed to make sure Sophie was already gone?

They producers probably had something in place but I guess Rebekah finished filming ahead of Les leaving/Belinda returning. It would have been more powerful if Soph and Karen had a walk on the beach and talked the whole thing through but timing screwed them.

Cute? I dunno.....I mean......I just think the idea of "pet names" is just plain silly.

Haha! I guess the writers forgot to consult you when they wrote the scripts back in 1993 ;) Would have been funny if they had kept it going and Irene was still calling Sally toots when they worked together at the school!!!

We don't know at all what happened regarding Sophie/Karen timing. I find it perfectly plausible that they deliberately timed her return for after Sophie left so they wouldn't have to deal with that aspect of the story. On the other hand, I do like to think it WAS bad timing and they would have done a story if they could. Either way, it really sucks for us that it didn't happen. I would have loved to see them reunite/clash and it's weird they came so close (within just a few episodes). The scene back in 1991 where Sophie finds out it was Karen who caused the crash is such a powerful scene, we waited so long for a pay-off that never came.

Well I have seen this weeks episodes and I have to agree with the majority here Having Sophie leave before Karen arrived seemed like a cop out (the previous two weeks seemed to have Sophie do nothing until she left which meant Belinda could have been brought in earlier and Sophie could have had an epic final few episodes). Oh well.

Fin is now in the year below which is strange but they had to do something with the character now that her 'teen group' gang are gone/going. Lynne is wonderful at the moment as Irene and no wonder she is brought back later in the year!!!

Shane is REALLY annoying at the moment and I think Nick is handling it the right way by throwing him out. I hope it teaches him a lesson and makes him grow up a bit!!!

And finally Sarah seems nice but maybe a bit dull. Time will tell.

The way that Sophie and Karen were kept apart, just as they were in 1991 ironically, is so blatant it must have been deliberate.I can only assume the writers just couldn't be bothered to write those scenes, or maybe they were worried that Karen's already unsympathetic attitude would be taken up to eleven if she was confronted with the effect of her actions on her supposed friend and still stomped around acting the victim and showing no remorse.It's an awkward lack of emotional closure which, despite her spending time in prison, makes Karen feel like a bit of a Karma Houdini since she never had to face Sophie's grief and realise what she'd done:Poor Blake got it in the neck as the closest person to Karen Sophie could get her hands on and Michael and Pippa had to face up to the consequences of their poor handling of the situation but Karen never really did.(Except that, given the rather strange direction Sophie's storyline goes in the 2000s, it seems almost certain that she and Karen had that conversation at some point, just when they were both older and wiser.And off screen.)

Either way, Karen's back.Now I'm not saying Alf's wrong, I think he's spot on to mistrust her since she's obviously playing everyone, but his shift in attitude was a bit too abrupt.He did, after all, carry on protecting Karen after she was an accomplice to a robbery that put him in hospital, and spent most of the time she was inside saying things like "I hope people give Karen a fair go when she gets out", so where did all that come from?Are we meant to believe his recent experiences with Blake and Simon have left him a bit bitter about teens, in his mind, taking advantage of their generosity?His "She was always trouble" is a bit of a jaundiced recollection, and I seem to recall he mollifies it somewhat later in the year.Meanwhile, Bobby continues to compete for the title of Most Gullible Person In Town, as fresh from her "Tug is innocent" diatribes she's suddenly on Karen's cheer squad, having apparently forgotten what she was like last time she was around.

I remember very well Irene's brief moment of nastiness as she reverted to type on being rejected by Fin and Damian, but I didn't realise how close she came to relapsing.In fact, I actually thought she had relapsed for a bit, until next episode she's suddenly nice again.It has to be said characters were all over the place here:Fin and Damian go from thinking if Irene goes back to the city she'll start drinking again to thinking if Irene stays she'll start drinking again to "Let's help you fill out those forms.";Irene goes from worrying she'll scare them away by smothering them to "Hey kids, great news, I'm moving to town and we're gonna be a family again!" in her next scene;Michael is worrying it's too much too soon one moment and telling her to go for it the next.Ah well, turns out she's sticking around for a bit.

Okay, I wasn't quite right about Matthew walking in on the card game but ultimately he did end up with an unfavourable first impression of the beach house.I nearly said last week that while Sarah was likable she needed to gain a bit of spirit to stop herself being so bland.Apparently someone felt the same, since appropriately it isn't Bobby, Greg or Luke that talks Matthew round but Sarah herself, gaining a bit of backbone and telling him there'll come a day when she makes her own decision and when it comes she won't make the choices he wants her to.

Up until that last episode, with his horribly politically correct rant at Greg who seems to be fast turning into the show's whipping boy, I was thinking Luke doesn't really deserve his reputation as one of the show's flops, but sadly he is still a bit cheesy(although thankfully he has remembered what shirt buttons are for)and he and Roxy do tend to veer towards the bland at times.Hopefully they can pick up a bit.

Well I have seen this weeks episodes and I have to agree with the majority here Having Sophie leave before Karen arrived seemed like a cop out (the previous two weeks seemed to have Sophie do nothing until she left which meant Belinda could have been brought in earlier and Sophie could have had an epic final few episodes). Oh well.

Fin is now in the year below which is strange but they had to do something with the character now that her 'teen group' gang are gone/going. Lynne is wonderful at the moment as Irene and no wonder she is brought back later in the year!!!

Shane is REALLY annoying at the moment and I think Nick is handling it the right way by throwing him out. I hope it teaches him a lesson and makes him grow up a bit!!!

And finally Sarah seems nice but maybe a bit dull. Time will tell.

Glad Nick stuck to his guns and threw Shane out. Its all about teaching him a lesson. I hope Shane would come to his senses eventually...

And I also wish we had closure with Sophie and Karen, its a bit suss that Sophie left right before Karen's arrival....

Yeah, it is bizzare. Karen killed Bobby's cousin after all!

Maybe they weren't even very close I mean look at Morag. She's Bobby's mother, and she hates her guts!

As for the "poor handling" of Sophie's king-sized crush on that creature, that's too bad because if you were a parent, would you want your little girl hanging around with a creature twice her age and slipping his end into her the first chance he got when nobody was looking?

Regarding Shane, maybe if you walked a mile in his shoes, to be dealt the injustice he was given, wouldn't you too feel bitter and lash out somehow?

Archived