Greg Marshall - Ross Newton

In this interview, Ross talks about losing out on the lead part in the Lord of the rings and he thinks its due to him being gay

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7411333/Former-Home-Away-star-Ross-Newton-missed-big-break-Lord-Rings.html

I could be wrong but I assume that things like this contribute to the reason why so many actors feel its best to stay in the closet. Its such a shame that there are still prejudices even though society claims its progressive.   I am surprised that he hasn't managed to secure a spot on Playschool since he is a well known actor. He has been trying to get acting work for a while but it doesn't seem to be working for him. I wonder if he is just banking on getting back into Home and Away as opposed to guest spots here and there. I personally didn't think the Greg Marshall role was the best in terms of his lack of chemistry with Nicolle but he doesn't necessary have to play a married character to be in a soap or in a guest role

Edited by Summer's Bay

• 3 months later...

I have my doubts about Ross's sexuality coming against him for that Lord of the Rings part. Sean Astin was probably always going to get it. His acting career never really set the world on fire but he was still a bigger name. And for viewers of a certain age, they'll remember him from The Goonies and as a minor teen idol. And if you applied that logic, would Ian McKellen have got the role as Gandalf?

As to why he's not getting steady work, I honestly don't know. The acting profession has plenty of openly gay actors, directors etc. It could be down to homophobia or maybe just sheer bad luck. I never saw Ross in anything other than Home and Away so I can't comment on what his other acting work is like. Greg isn't a character who will have done him any favours as an actor. Apart from that lack of chemistry with Nicolle, Greg was a forgettable character. He wasn't one of the show's hunks (though looking at those photos, Ross has aged rather nicely). And as quite a few of the show's former actors have discovered, being in H&A is no guarantee of anything in the future.

Times have changed quite a bit though. One of the BBC's biggest hits last year was Fleabag, in which the openly gay actor Andrew Scott played a straight romantic lead.

2 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I have my doubts about Ross's sexuality coming against him for that Lord of the Rings part. Sean Astin was probably always going to get it. His acting career never really set the world on fire but he was still a bigger name. And for viewers of a certain age, they'll remember him from The Goonies and as a minor teen idol. And if you applied that logic, would Ian McKellen have got the role as Gandalf?

As to why he's not getting steady work, I honestly don't know. The acting profession has plenty of openly gay actors, directors etc. It could be down to homophobia or maybe just sheer bad luck. I never saw Ross in anything other than Home and Away so I can't comment on what his other acting work is like. Greg isn't a character who will have done him any favours as an actor. Apart from that lack of chemistry with Nicolle, Greg was a forgettable character. He wasn't one of the show's hunks (though looking at those photos, Ross has aged rather nicely). And as quite a few of the show's former actors have discovered, being in H&A is no guarantee of anything in the future.

Times have changed quite a bit though. One of the BBC's biggest hits last year was Fleabag, in which the openly gay actor Andrew Scott played a straight romantic lead.

Yeah...and I think that was the problem. I don't think the role was suited for him...however he does look great, and I am glad I am the only one who didn't see any chemistry between him and Nicolle. 

On 06/01/2020 at 13:35, cymbaline said:

I think this is probably the case too. I'm sure sometimes being out can have a negative effect on someone's career (I think others have said to keep quiet if they want 'leading man' or 'love interest' roles), but I suppose the same could be said about soaps. Obviously there's been a ton of break out actors from H&A and Neighbours, but there's probably some executives that judge them based on it.

I think LOTR was just going to be a hard role to get regardless - especially with how many people they auditioned and how big of a franchise it is.

• 2 years later...

This being moralistic Home and Away from 1993, of course for no good reason Greg admitted to Bobby about his affair with Fiona. An affair which was full of the passion which his marriage with Bobby sorely lacked.

If Greg had stopped and thought about leaving Bobby for Fiona and bringing Sam with him (Bobby was not his mother and had only been his foster mum for 2 years), then Greg would have been far happier and two characters could have left in a realistic fashion.

Bobby's distraught reaction of losing Sam and her marriage could have led to the death she got a month later anyway. Maybe Adam encourages her to do something reckless and he gets the blame he also subsequently got anyway.

Instead Greg goes back to Bobby, is shouty and upset as he had been for the entity of his marriage, Sam is crying and storming out of every scene, Bobby goes and dies, more shouting and crying, then Greg ups and leaves forgetting about the son he'd fought so hard for for the previous 2 years.