Just The Girl

Guest KristinaLeigh

Sasha and Spencer sat on the sofa that evening, cuddled under a blanket watching one of Spencer's favourite television shows. Sasha's mind constantly flickered to Matt, and what he was doing right now. She still knew very little about his home life, his family, but she knew he wasn't happy and that it wasn't right. She needed to help him somehow.

Spencer had been quiet all afternoon, and he flickered through the channels one after the other. "Are you okay?" Sasha asked softly, touching his arm and he shrugged. "Hmmm," I guess, Spencer said, no taking his eyes from the TV screen. Sasha knew something was wrong, "What's the matter?" she asked again, sliding her hand down to intertwine with his. He sharply moved his hand out of the way entirely. "Is there anything you want to tell me Sash?" he asked quietly, too quietly.

Sasha could see his gritted teeth as he waited for her response. Her heart quickened, and the air felt suddenly thicker. She struggled to breathe, panic setting in on her face. Spencer now turned to face her, looking her straight in the eye. "I said, do you have anything you want to tell me?" he asked again, very precise and quietly. Sasha shook her head slowly, totally unsure of what he did and didn't already know. She was a terrible liar.

Spencer stood up and took Sasha by the hand. She was beginning to shake with fear. Had he spotted them on the beach? Had Matt told him about their study session? Did he know she had been to see him? "Nothing to do with Matt Page you want to tell me Sash? Certain?" he asked again and Sasha began back away slowly, moving further towards the wall. Spencer followed like a giant shadow never allowing her to leave. "Um, well..." Sasha began, trembling with fear.

Suddenly she felt a hard hand come down across her face. It hit her life a wave in the surf, hard and flat. She let our a tiny whimper and it was over within seconds. She clutched her face in pain, and tears stung the back of her eyes. She peered up wearily, watching Spencer look down on her, his warm dark brown eyes looked an almost cold black now. "I know you took his home work to Mangrove River to him..." he began, and Sasha swallowed hard. Now she knew what he knew.

"Mr Smith asked me to..." Sasha began, and Spencer's hand raised again, crashing once more against her face. Sasha fell back against the wall and shrunk down on the floor, cuddling her knees. The tears flowed a little more freely now.

Spencer watched the crying heap he had created on the floor and paced forwards and backwards. "I asked you to stay away from him Sash!" he roared and Sasha cowered her head again. "I asked you to stay away from him because I know what he's after from you." Spencer said, his teeth tightening as he spoke. Sasha had never seen him so angry.

"Now I'm going to ask you one more time, will you stay away from him?" Spencer asked, his words knotting together in frustration and anger. Sasha merely nodded her weak head in sadness. She felt so alone, so secluded.

Spencer put out his hand and pulled her up and into a hug. "I never want to have to do that to you, you know..." he whispered as he caressed her hair. Sasha still shook and he soothed her quietly. The storm was over.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dragged myself from my bed upon hearing my alarm and tiptoed over to the mirror. I winced as I tried to move my face, it hurt a lot. I finally got to mirror and looked up slowly to observe the damage. I pulled back my long, dark hair and pushed it behind my ear. My cheek and part of my neck was bruised and sore. I ran my fingers over it lightly and winced at the pain, the purple and yellowish bruising was already come to the surface. I sucked the tears in as I closed my eyes and replayed the events on the night before. I heard the slaps in my head, clear as day against my face.

I took out my make-up and began lightly dabbing on concealer and foundation, one after the other until the bruising was nearly totally covered. It still felt sensitive and hurt like hell but I needed to be at school today. I had so much home work due, and two tests. I slipped into my school dress, and pulled on a pair of white knee high socks, and flats. I let my hair down, to cover the bruising on my neck, and grabbed my bag. I was ready early. Another fifteen minute wait until Spencer would be here.

"I'm gonna head off early..." I called to Indi. "Tell Spence, I had a teacher meeting!" I shouted, slamming the door behind me, and I made my way to school alone for the first time in forever. The freedom felt incredible, I ran and skipped and jogged and danced along the path. I was free. I went into school early and walked down the empty corridor to my locker. I opened it and retouched my make up, ensuring the bruising was as covered as it could be. The bruising on my neck was still slightly visible and I pulled my hair around to hide it self consciously.

"Morning..." I heard Matt call, and I turned to watch Matt skating up the corridor. He looked as I felt. Tired and worn out and broken. "Are you okay?" I asked concerned. I peered up and down the corridor, ensuring the coast was clear this time. I knew now, I had no more time for mistakes if I was going to help Matt. Matt shook his head, and pinched his fingers between the bridge of his nose, breathing deeply. His eyes welled a little. "It's my Dad Sash, I can't, I can't do this anymore. It's too hard," he said, his voice raising higher, sounding angrier. Sasha tugged Matt's hand and dragged him into an empty classroom.

I watched as he stood there awkwardly, trying to right himself. "He's an alcoholic Sash, my Dad. He's an alcoholic. He's violent and nasty and he drinks all day, and we have no electric. We have nothing!" he shouted, and I saw the anger in his face as became more and more worked up. I looked at his face, peaking out from beneath his hoodie. He looked so broken. "Hey, hey..." I said, taking his hands, I felt them shaking.

"I have an idea of somewhere you could live, and then you can get your Dad the help he needs..." I began smiling. Matt frowned. "Who?" he asked, confused and tired. "Irene, she always has house guests..." I explained. Matt's broken expression turned into a hopeful smile. "She won't want me around will she?" he asked sadly, kicking his feet against each other. "Yes she will Matthew!" I smiled jokingly. "Can we go after school?" he asked hopefully, and I felt so happy to see that glow in his face again, and the cheeky glare in his eyes as he stared at me. He stared at me a lot.

I thought of Spencer, and what had happened. I had to help Matt. "Yeah, but I'll meet you there okay?" I asked smiling.

-

When I walked into the corridor, I saw Spencer standing at my locker expectantly. I took my phone from my pocket and noticed 5 missed calls in fifteen minutes. "Did you get my message?" I smiled, fakely. "I had a meeting, so I had to be in early." I said defiantly. Spencer smiled sweetly and kissed my cheek, nodding. He must of felt better today. "You look lovely..." he whispered hungrily in my ear and I shivered. But not the shiver you get when you have butterflies in your tummy, the shiver you get when you feel physically sick.

I opened my locker and took out a cereal bar and some crisps. "Are you really gonna eat that Sash?" Spencer asked, and I eyed the food cautiously. I was so hungry, after only some nuts for breakfast. A part of me felt like screaming, at full volume YES I AM GOING TO EAT IT! But I didn't, I placed it back in my locker and felt my tummy tighten. Spencer used a light hand to brush my hair from my face as he examined my bruises. "I'm so sorry Sash..." he said. The words felt like a blur in my head, always the same, never changing. I felt anger burning inside me, but I was too weak to express it. "Make sure you keep it hidden okay? We don't need people asking questions. I love you, okay?" he said, taking my face in his hands, and staring into my eyes.

I winced as he touched my bruises and nodded. The weight of the world on my shoulders, I was beginning to break.

LOOOOVE how you are posting chapters so often !!!!

ADORE this fic !!!

Since I last posted a response [about 5 chapters ago], here’ the bits I’ve especially liked ……..

Had I just asked permission to go somewhere?

Matt had no idea what she had risked to be here.

"You shouldn't have to live that way you know..." she said. She was so smart, so caring. "Neither do you." I said and she frowned in confusion. I wanted so badly to shake her, to tell her she could do so much better. Not that I was better by any means but still. She deserved freedom and fun. I knew I couldn't buy her jewellery or take her to the movies or fancy restaurants like Spencer could. But I could at least make her smile and so I did.

He looked as I felt. Tired and worn out and broken.

I opened my locker and took out a cereal bar and some crisps. "Are you really gonna eat that Sash?" Spencer asked, and I eyed the food cautiously. I was so hungry, after only some nuts for breakfast. A part of me felt like screaming, at full volume YES I AM GOING TO EAT IT!

The weight of the world on my shoulders, I was beginning to break.

hi guys, sorry I haven't updated over the last few days. I will be updating in a few hours, with a few new chapters :) x

I look forward to the return of this fan Fic :)

Archived