Why didn't they replace Celia when she left.

Guest j.laur5

I wonder why they didn't bring in a new older female character to fill the gap left by Celia..

They could have easily made Colleen a regular in 1990 or bring in Debra Stewart!.

Because we had a few older female characters who were guests like Patricia/Sue/Jean/Louis/Irene/Julian and Mrs Croft .

In fact the next older female character to become regular after Celia leaves is Irene and that was almost four years after Celia left.

No idea why Ceila wasn't instantly replaced with another character of the same age but I do feel that her departure left a big void in the show during 1990, but the show recovered strongly in 1991 with strong storylines.

Colleen would have been an ideal replacement especially with her brief guest appearances in 1988 and 1989 but since Lance was no longer around by the time Ceila left she would have lacked a strong purpose on the show in my view. Anyhow at least Colleen was a regular from 1999 until 2012 so we got a good thirteen years of her on-screen.

I wouldn't have minded having Barbara Stewart made a permanent character or Debra could have been introduced as you suggested.

Fair point and the show was much more character-driven and community based back in the day. Maybe the writers and producers felt the need to have a 'break' from a gossip-type character like Colleen after Celia left. I'm not sure what they were thinking at the time to be honest.

Looking back now, I think adding Colleen to the main cast in 1990 would have worked even if Martin and Lance were both gone by that year.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Fiona left at her own accord rather than being axed by the producers due to moving on with other projects such as her theatre work with Priosner where she reprised the role of the infamous Vera Bennett.

• 3 months later...

Archived