Who can beliéve it's now four years since the pilot aired on 7

Guest j.laur5

It'll never happen because of the ridiculous scale and the fact that it's Seven, but just for example - a normal dual layer DVD will take around 4 hours of video, which would equate to roughly 2 weeks of episodes per disc.

That would mean 589 DVD's for all episodes from 1988-2013. Even if you did each release as a box of 6 like the early Neighbours releases, that would still be just under 100 releases.

One day there will be a dvd that can have infitive space in it, then they can release ever 5500 episodes on it. Would probably take me a week or so to watch them all but would be nice

If they did that Jacklost you'd have no room in your house :P:lol:

I have extra space in my closet for the big dvd box. Would be nice to have in my collection in dvd so when ever someone comes for a visit and if someone wanna watch home and away we can do so

I think there is a limit optical media can handle, at least in 2 dimensions, and the limiting factor is related to the wavelength of light times the number of bits, say around 1011 bits for a Blu-ray disc (read by a blue laser, as the older CD and DVD formats deal with a red laser (longer λ) and lower-capacity discs.

A Home And Away episode, typically, would take around 6✕109 bits (700 million bytes, the size of a single CD). Multiply that by 6000 and divide by a factor of 30 would still make a huge number of Blu-ray discs.

I think there is a limit optical media can handle, at least in 2 dimensions, and the limiting factor is related to the wavelength of light times the number of bits, say around 1011 bits for a Blu-ray disc (read by a blue laser, as the older CD and DVD formats deal with a red laser (longer λ) and lower-capacity discs.

A Home And Away episode, typically, would take around 6✕109 bits (700 million bytes, the size of a single CD). Multiply that by 6000 and divide by a factor of 30 would still make a huge number of Blu-ray discs.

We have harddrive that can handle 1000gb why not make a cd that can handle that much?

It'll never happen because of the ridiculous scale and the fact that it's Seven, but just for example - a normal dual layer DVD will take around 4 hours of video, which would equate to roughly 2 weeks of episodes per disc.

That would mean 589 DVD's for all episodes from 1988-2013. Even if you did each release as a box of 6 like the early Neighbours releases, that would still be just under 100 releases.

One day there will be a dvd that can have infitive space in it, then they can release ever 5500 episodes on it. Would probably take me a week or so to watch them all but would be nice

A week?Let's pretend there's 5500 episodes(rather than 6000 by the end of the year), 20 minutes per episode would give you 110,000 minutes, which is over 76 days.Even if you were sat continuously in front of a television set, pumped full of stimulants to keep you awake and having someone bring you meals that you can eat while watching, it'd take you a bit longer than that.

^I think that's the most likely way in which they would ever release episodes. But I can't see them getting to the point of having an entire show like H&A or any soaps for that matter, available to download any time soon.

I know it's not a soap but Hulu have started to release All Saints - so far they are up to series four.

Let's just wait for a disc or smth that could have a season on one disc. I'm not so keen on having it on the internet, because it would probably be compressed to the point where it would be impossible to get real life look like it was in 1988-2003. Anyway, I'm making DVD's myself from good quality TV rips from 7two that some people make.

^You would be able to download episodes with the 'real life' look/motion, if the videos were correctly prepared. Youtube seems to have a problem with smooth motion playback and always seems to change the frame rate so that you get that 'judder' effect.

We have harddrive that can handle 1000gb why not make a cd that can handle that much?

Optical media is different to magnetic media, magnetic media is capable of packing more bits into much smaller spaces than optical. The terabyte-sized HDDs have bits of something like less than a thousand atoms/molecules per bit.

Optical media is different to magnetic media, magnetic media is capable of packing more bits into much smaller spaces than optical. The terabyte-sized HDDs have bits of something like less than a thousand atoms/molecules per bit.

Im sure one day it will happen, just look at how media has changed from vhs to bluray. I bet vhs could only handlet a 100 megabyte or more

Archived