Home And Away pre history.

Homeandawayfan.

I saw an article from August 1987 saying Alan Bateman likes to plan 3 years ahead. This article mentions upcoming H&A.

It seems H&A was already being thought of in 1985 and perhaps as early as 1984. Maybe Bateman was asked to come up with a rival to Neighbours and chose one of his shows he was already working on.

Here it this 1987 article. http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=nstore&kw=%22alan+bateman%22&pb=all_ffx&dt=enterRange&dr=1month&sd=01%2F01%2F1987&ed=01%2F01%2F1988&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=50&rm=200&sp=adv&clsPage=1&docID=news870823_0056_4642

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit I am still a little perplexed myself as to the notion that H&A was created as a rival to Neighbours. It does seem as said in the article that H&A was being thought of by the time Neighbours was showing its 1985 season. The first article said Bateman had been working on H&A for 3 years, and that was just before the show began airing. He had been fleshing out Tom and Pippa Fletcher and choosing locations. If he liked to plan 3 years ahead from first thinking of a new TV show to the pilot episodes, then Tom and Pippa were first thought of in about 1984.

But it said in 1986 that he stopped at a village and saw people were upset about building a foster home for Sydney children from troubled backgrounds when he was asked to come up with a rival to Neighbours in 1986. I am sure though, Alan had already had a show about Tom and Pippa in the pipeline and got further inspiration and used one of his "pipeline" shows as the rival to Neighbours.

I remember reading in a book the show was originally supposed to be called "Refuge" as the focus was on the foster children, but the title was changed to make it more "friendlier".

There was also the issues with Pippa's casting. Carol Willisee was originally cast in the role but the show could not accommodate her. She wanted every school holidays off and I think she wanted to arrive and leave at a certain time to pick her children up from school. Vanessa Downing was a very last-minute replacement from what I remember.

I think Vanessa Downing was cast by July 1987 when the pilot began filming. I did hear that Jackie Woodburne was considered, or applied for the role of Pippa.

Carol had completed a day and a half of filming on the pilot, but had yet to sign a contract. When she said she wanted more flexible hours in order to spend time with her family, it became obvious that it would be unworkable and she she was replaced. Vanessa got the call and had to be on set the next morning to reshoot the scenes.

I think Vanessa Downing was cast by July 1987 when the pilot began filming. I did hear that Jackie Woodburne was considered, or applied for the role of Pippa.

Carol had completed a day and a half of filming on the pilot, but had yet to sign a contract. When she said she wanted more flexible hours in order to spend time with her family, it became obvious that it would be unworkable and she she was replaced. Vanessa got the call and had to be on set the next morning to reshoot the scenes.

It would be nice if they released that deleted pilot episode, would be interesting :)

That's true! However did Jackie audition for the role of Pippa right at the start before the show even started filming or did she only audition after Vanessa left the role in 1990?

Archived