Time for a new regular cop character?

Guest gutterboy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But there aren't less crimes now than before! I think Summer Bay seem much more lawless now without police investigating the crimes. I feel they got rid of the regular cops so they could have the Braxtons and others to do their crimes without a huge fuss from the police. It is easier to do that without having cops as regulars.

We still do se the cops from time to time but there aren't any follow ups. Just crimes very often.

I would have liked to have one cop on the show. I think that having cops as regulars should mean that crimes should be treated as crimes and get punished and lead to less crimes. But the cop needs to be a good one and not like a corrupt one like Charlie, Angelo and to also Jack to some degree. I would have liked to have cop like Joel Nash again in Summer Bay.

I also think that the show always needs a regular school principal, a regular teacher and a regular doctor in the Bay and also a couple of Diner workers.

It helps the community feeling when we have these kind of roles sin the show.

But there aren't less crimes now than before! I think Summer Bay seem much more lawless now without police investigating the crimes. I feel they got rid of the regular cops so they could have the Braxtons and others to do their crimes without a huge fuss from the police. It is easier to do that without having cops as regulars.

We still do se the cops from time to time but there aren't any follow ups. Just crimes very often.

I would have liked to have one cop on the show. I think that having cops as regulars should mean that crimes should be treated as crimes and get punished and lead to less crimes. But the cop needs to be a good one and not like a corrupt one like Charlie, Angelo and to also Jack to some degree. I would have liked to have cop like Joel Nash again in Summer Bay.

I also think that the show always needs a regular school principal, a regular teacher and a regular doctor in the Bay and also a couple of Diner workers.

It helps the community feeling when we have these kind of roles sin the show.

Agreed. There isn't any less crimes now and you make a good point about it probably being about the Braxtons since they are involved in so miuch of it I guess they gatehred that let's not have a regular character as a cop so as to seeminly let the Braxtons get away with it more easily.

Personally I would think Summer bay should have a small police force since from what I know of Sydney they in NSW have the manpower to staff such a place.

I would cast a female Top Cop as a regular ( oh If they could get Rebecca Gibney?) with 1-2 new constables and not over use them but have her in stories with the cast and maybe have a relationship with one of the male characters.

That might be a good thing in the future.

I would suggest the new Cop has a family yet Neighbours already doing that!

As someone who prefers 'gritty' over 'soapie', I've always disliked having police and doctors as part of the main cast in soaps.

I think to most people doctors and cops are 'strangers' who enter our lives during only the worst and most scary times, but in these shows, a person collapses and then their next door neighbour is performing open heart surgery on the living room floor, all the while being cold and professional.

The crime and peril plots are already asking for enough suspension of belief from the audience, but to then add that layer of familiarity (that I'm sure VERY few would encounter in a real situation) just cheapens things.

Thinking back to when Dale Ross died, I think having the 'kind stranger' ambulance woman made it so much more real and upsetting, whereas now you'd have resident super-doc (capable of anything) over and it just spoils the whole atmosphere.

As someone who prefers 'gritty' over 'soapie', I've always disliked having police and doctors as part of the main cast in soaps.

I think to most people doctors and cops are 'strangers' who enter our lives during only the worst and most scary times, but in these shows, a person collapses and then their next door neighbour is performing open heart surgery on the living room floor, all the while being cold and professional.

The crime and peril plots are already asking for enough suspension of belief from the audience, but to then add that layer of familiarity (that I'm sure VERY few would encounter in a real situation) just cheapens things.

Thinking back to when Dale Ross died, I think having the 'kind stranger' ambulance woman made it so much more real and upsetting, whereas now you'd have resident super-doc (capable of anything) over and it just spoils the whole atmosphere.

Haha I definitley get what you're saying there. Reminds me of the recent ep when..

Kyle called out to Nate when he was being the Medic for the festival that Ricky was in hospital, ummmmmm he's doing a job there and I'm sure the hospital has other doctors geez.

Perhaps it's because I have always lived in small communities but my picture of the local "copper" is that he mostly was just a really friendly community member who supported people after tragedies like car accidents and other times of community stress.

Sure he occasionally dealt with a local who had too much to drink and created a problem at the local pub or drove too fast or too recklessly around town.

I recall that he even called in reinforcements from the "big smoke" at one stage and busted an amphetamine lab in a local house.

He actually prevented crime simply by his presence in the community and his interaction with its members. He knew everything about everybody.

I see Summer Bay as such a place which would benefit from such a community policeman.

Archived