Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

2 minutes ago, Bri1231 said:

Oh if only 5 star was in HD! I didn't even think about that, now they are in the correct airing blocks. Maybe it's more than possible they may want to keep it like that on 5 star now? 

I have to watch in HD though. So record a watch for me. 

I think increasingly the 5star airing has become very important ratings wise so it could aid that decision to have more emphasis on that airing being THE place and then it's repeated on C5 the next afternoon. I guess we will see! All speculation. 

To be honest the 5star showing doesn't look too bad in SD on my new TV. If I'm vanished upstairs on the other TV though it looks dreadful ?

3 minutes ago, 630si said:

I think increasingly the 5star airing has become very important ratings wise so it could aid that decision to have more emphasis on that airing being THE place and then it's repeated on C5 the next afternoon. I guess we will see! All speculation. 

To be honest the 5star showing doesn't look too bad in SD on my new TV. If I'm vanished upstairs on the other TV though it looks dreadful ?

Very true. It does pull in the ratings and also it pays five more to air it there as there are two commercial breaks equals more bang for their buck. 

Haha, got one of those old CRT TVs up there with a coat hanger for an ariel? ?

• 2 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread but for Irish viewers, however because RTE Two is being used for the Euros, Home & Away is lunchtime-only on RTE One on match days.  RTE used to be a day behind Channel 5 - is that still the case since the death of Prince Phillip knocked the blocks out of sync?

It looks like Channel5 are looking to adjust their teatime schedules around as they have applied to ofcom to change their news output to a one hour programme 5pm -6pm.

Wondering if this would affect Home and Away for those interested in this kind of thing 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-3/licence-change-request-for-news-output-on-channel-5 

2 hours ago, 630si said:

It looks like Channel5 are looking to adjust their teatime schedules around as they have applied to ofcom to change their news output to a one hour programme 5pm -6pm.

Wondering if this would affect Home and Away for those interested in this kind of thing 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-3/licence-change-request-for-news-output-on-channel-5 

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. They can then air a one hour news show at 5pm and begin primetime shows at 6pm without interruption. Probably name the 5pm broadcast first at five, Neighbours at 6pm followed by Home and Away at 6.30pm. Only issue there is then the show will go out directly against Hollyoaks. But in this day and age of on demand and PVRs does that make much of a difference? I never watch Home and Away at 6pm. I record it and watch at 7pm. 

Same I record the 6pm and get round to it at about 8pm normally. 

Home and away has gone up against Hollyoaks in the past when channel 5 had football on and I don't think Hollyoaks is a big worry these days looking at the figures. 

If they pushed home and away to 6:30 I do think that the first look should be stopped over on 5star so that the viewing figures are not split in half. It performs really well for 5star though and probably pays to keep the lights on! Haha

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the evening showing gets dropped entirely if this goes through (and it's rare these things get refused) with Neighbours taking the 6pm slot.  H&A hasn't rated that well at teatime for a long time now and they've already experimented with going lunchtime-only during the start of the Pandemic.

With Eggheads and Watercolour Challenge also joining the schedule I can't see where it can all fit in.

24 minutes ago, James Martin said:

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the evening showing gets dropped entirely if this goes through (and it's rare these things get refused) with Neighbours taking the 6pm slot.  H&A hasn't rated that well at teatime for a long time now and they've already experimented with going lunchtime-only during the start of the Pandemic.

With Eggheads and Watercolour Challenge also joining the schedule I can't see where it can all fit in.

I thought this initially however there's a couple of other things at play when you go a bit deeper.

The 6pm showing is doing about 400k and. 6% share give or take which isn't as bad as we think. Neighbours at 5:30 is doing similar numbers (it gets most it's audience at lunchtime). Hollyoaks at 6:30 is also similar in numbers.

There's another 300-400k watching home and away at 6:30 over on 5star so immediately you can double the 5 star showing by having no 6pm airing I guess. Added to the lunchtime figures and we ar rover a million.  However, after home and away the 6:30 news drops off to less than 200k and loses the momentum C5 has for rest of the evening. They've said they're making eggheads a one hour show so I can see that going at 7 perhaps? 

The neighbours contract renewal with C5 expires at the end of 2021. Could something be afoot there?? It's very expensive! 

I imagine a likely scenario is that neighbours will go to 6:30 in the view to boosting it more and then the channel can take a larger audience to 7pm. 

I guess we will find out soon! 

Edited by 630si

I tend to watch the 6:30pm on 5 Star first-look of Home and Away in case I do have to miss it the next day at 6pm, but I often watch it both times (or on 5 +1 if I miss 5:30pm Neighbours, in which case I watch Neighbours at 6pm and the first-look Home and Away at 6:30pm on 5 Star).

Unless I watched Neighbours on 5 +1 at 7:30pm, I wouldn't want Neighbours to go in a 6:30pm slot on Channel 5 because the beauty of first-look Home and Away is that you watch on Channel 5 at 6pm and then pick up from where you just finished straight away on 5 Star at 6:30pm.

If they're wanting a 5-6pm news programme, it would have to be:

Channel 5
6pm - Neighbours
6:30pm - Home and Away

5 Star
7pm - Home and Away first-look
6:30pm OR 7:30pm - Neighbours

Edited by homeandawayroxsomuch.