Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

7 minutes ago, James Martin said:

Also - I note Neighbours is still getting its evening showing, why them and not Home and Away?

Would make more sense to run one show Monday & Wednesday and another Tuesday & Thursday.

I know it's all a bit useless and looking at social media has just caused loads of confusion. 

I personally think they have done it because the 6pm news on BBC etc has exploded in the ratings with all this Coronovirus stuff. It's getting like 8milion viewers. So I think Channel 5 are pushing the audience to move to either the lunchtime showing or the 5star showing to maximise ad revenue from the ads. They're probably struggling to attract advertisers at 6pm due to the ratings on the other side. It's probably a business/monetary decision for now. If that half a million or so viewers watches or records the 1:15 showing instead suddenly that 1:15 showing has doubled its audience and can reap more ad revenue. It's probably a little experiment. just my thoughts anyway.

I'm sure now we know that channel 7 are back on air 13th April we will probably go back to normal that week??

Edited by 630si

Time with tell. All the UK soaps have been rationed, as has Neighbours despite I believe still being five days a week in Oz.

My only suggestion for them showing Neighbours and Home and Away same day is that they want to have that hour block free the other three days rather than having to keep a half hour slot clear.

1 hour ago, 630si said:

I know it's all a bit useless and looking at social media has just caused loads of confusion. 

I personally think they have done it because the 6pm news on BBC etc has exploded in the ratings with all this Coronovirus stuff. It's getting like 8milion viewers. So I think Channel 5 are pushing the audience to move to either the lunchtime showing or the 5star showing to maximise ad revenue from the ads. They're probably struggling to attract advertisers at 6pm due to the ratings on the other side. It's probably a business/monetary decision for now. If that half a million or so viewers watches or records the 1:15 showing instead suddenly that 1:15 showing has doubled its audience and can reap more ad revenue. It's probably a little experiment. just my thoughts anyway.

I'm sure now we know that channel 7 are back on air 13th April we will probably go back to normal that week??

Here's hoping.

9 hours ago, 630si said:

I personally think they have done it because the 6pm news on BBC etc has exploded in the ratings with all this Coronovirus stuff.

I reckon you might have hit the nail on the head there.

Still seeing a lot of confusion on social media from C5 viewers - has anyone seen any mention of the change on-air? I caught the ends of both airings on Friday and it made no mention about it, which I thought was pretty poor.

As RR1 mentioned, I do hope when this is all over that they manage to slip back into the intended blocks by choosing the date strategically.

• Like 1

There was an announcement at the end of Monday's Channel 5 showing about it being two episodes a week now, which was a bit shutting the stable door after the horse was bolted: I imagine a lot of people who'd read their published-on-Tuesday TV guides rocked up at 6pm expecting to be able to catch the day's Home and Away only to be confronted by a load of trains, at which point unless you've got access to My5, the episode's gone.(Although I suppose if you're on social media, then you've got internet access.)

Again, I suspect it may come down to how willing they are to shuffle things about to create a half hour slot, although they are doing it for Neighbours.(Emmerdale went from 6 episodes scheduled to 5 to 3 rather quickly, so everyone else may have been caught on the hop there.)How would that work though? You could easily give Monday's episode a repeat Tuesday evening, but would the Thursday episode be a first terrestrial showing of the Friday lunchtime episode? Not unprecedented by any means, it's how the show was first broadcast on Channel 5.

16 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Again, I suspect it may come down to how willing they are to shuffle things about to create a half hour slot, although they are doing it for Neighbours.(Emmerdale went from 6 episodes scheduled to 5 to 3 rather quickly, so everyone else may have been caught on the hop there.)How would that work though? You could easily give Monday's episode a repeat Tuesday evening, but would the Thursday episode be a first terrestrial showing of the Friday lunchtime episode? Not unprecedented by any means, it's how the show was first broadcast on Channel 5.

I preferred it back when the 6pm was the debut and then repeated the day after at lunchtime. Of course it all changes when 5 launched a digital channel and first look became a thing. I don't see anything changing now personally. Other than when we go back to 5 days a week

• 2 weeks later...