H&A vs Neighbours?

Homeandawayfan.

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^Yes it was, Neghbours hasn't really been viewed as popular since around 2003/2004 in Australia. I think that was the last time it won a Logie too. Since then the ratings have just declined consistently, apart from when there was the much hyped 'revamp' in 2007 where it managed to pick up a lot of viewers, but it only lasted 6 or so months. If it was still on TEN I'm sure it would be far more popular than it is these days. But I very much doubt it would be rating the same as H&A. Not unless the production standards were significantly improved.

I don't even think it's a fair comparison these days. They are so different from each other, H&A has become something else completely so I don't think they can be compared. Back in the 80's/90's the comparison was there because the format was similar, but it isn't anymore.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H&A and Neighbours were very similar when H&A began. Yes the latter tackled issues more but I think early H&A was just as light and frothy as Neighbours was outside issues, and H&A tackled the issues in a subtle way. Watching early H&A and Neighbours is also like watching a sitcom as well as a drama.

H&A keeps scooping the big awards at the Logies, Neighbours last won Best Drama about 20 years ago whereas H&A has won many since or other big awards close to Best Drama.

H&A and Neighbours have changed a lot since they started but what do you expect, but they are still the same 26 year old and 28 year old shows they started as, just style has changed. No soap is the same as when it first started.

H&A and Neighbours have changed a lot since they started but what do you expect, but they are still the same 26 year old and 28 year old shows they started as, just style has changed.

I disagree with that. I don't understand how anyone can think H&A is still the same old show as it was when it started. It isn't just the style that's changed (and of course all show's must change and evolve) but the format has completely changed. Imo H&A used to have a very specific tone. It was an emotional drama with lighthearted and feel good aspects. It's lost it's heart now I think.

Neighbours has changed too, again not for the better Imo It's better than it was a couple of years ago, but both show's have lost their original quirks which have made them feel quite generic and boring.

I also don't think they're rival shows anymore. They don't compete with each other because they are so different and cater to a different audience these days.

Alexx you have missed my point. When I said they are the same programme I meant the same actual programme, nothing to do with style or change or anything. I mean they have been on air since 1985 and 1988. They have always had the same title and one episode continues on from the previous one. I was talking about duration not style or changing.

Both shows are very important as they show 2 areas of Australia. If you love the beach You like Summer bay. If you like Suburbs you like Ramsey street.

I been fans of both shows. I admit to like Sydney more. H&A a great show yet I love the past seasons.

Neighbours as well is in the same position as I use to love the show. yet Im am unhappy with a lot of things they done and the move to 11 seems a demotion on Aussie TV. I lost a lot of characters I use to care about and I just hope it can get its anniversary as I do H&A.

Neighbours has the tour.

H&A has the great locals

Both are good to the fans as most of the actor have fan cards and unlike other Aussie shows they have a good reputation for that which is good.

are they perfect, NO I think both could add new people in the future yet hoping for another Kylie or Angel is asking a lot.

I have been watching H&A for over 10 years, and Neighbours for only 3 and in those years I have found....

Neighbours has more comedy. They do fun storylines as well as serious. While serious is good, Home and Away focus way too much on it.

I can relate to the characters more on Neighbours, rather than H&A who now have these ridiculous storylines and unrelatable characters - storylines of gangs that suddenly disappear never to be seen again and woman that marry/nearly marry 3 different guys in 3 years.

Neighbours don't drag their storylines on as long as H&A. Although this Kate/Kyle storyline is becoming a bit of a bore. :/

Although I have to give Home and Away the end of year cliffhangers, something Neighbours needs to improve on to keep their viewers interested during the break.

The biggest difference I notice; Home and Away focuses more on looks - the teens and young adults with the "perfect beach body".

I mean I know they live by the beach but would it really kill them to have one teen that doesn't have the perfect figure?

While Neighbours of course focuses on looks (what show doesn't), but I feel they focus more on personality and building the characters.

H&A is more under 30 years of age focused. Where Neighbours manage to keep the old characters going with storylines.

Alf fishes and sits around the caravan park and Irene works at the diner, even Leah doesn't have much to do these days.

So of course I vote for Neighbours. :)

Yes I hear you Dingo! You have some good points to defend the other part of Australia.

Neighbours did have some great comic moments yet what bothers me is they end up having those people go away! One reason I voted against N is a personal disappointment in the writing department and they blew a lot of things. Yet somethings were beyond their control.

I agree with you they need to lose the models and bring in some characters you wouldn't image living in a beach community? As I told another fan I think the Cop family moving into Ramsey Street is realistic! Plus N have some old guard charcaters like the Kennedys which creates a link to the past which is a big help.

I look at N and H&A much as we scifi fans see Trek they always be around!

H&A and Neighbours have changed a lot since they started but what do you expect, but they are still the same 26 year old and 28 year old shows they started as, just style has changed.

I disagree with that. I don't understand how anyone can think H&A is still the same old show as it was when it started. It isn't just the style that's changed (and of course all show's must change and evolve) but the format has completely changed. Imo H&A used to have a very specific tone. It was an emotional drama with lighthearted and feel good aspects. It's lost it's heart now I think.

Neighbours has changed too, again not for the better Imo It's better than it was a couple of years ago, but both show's have lost their original quirks which have made them feel quite generic and boring.

I also don't think they're rival shows anymore. They don't compete with each other because they are so different and cater to a different audience these days.

I can and here is how.

Home and Arway has always had at least three characters that are from early years.

Also there's always been kids that are living with their parents.

It has always had a Diner.since 1989.

Archived