Evelyn "Evie" MacGuire - Philippa Northeast

shyongirl

Does anyone else agree that Evie is probably the most tortured character on the show right now?

-she was involved in a cult and her dad was crazy

-her mum died of Cancer

-her brother and aunt died in an explosion

-her half-sister was murdered

-her boyfriend was a murderer

-she was in a plane crash

-she was in a bushfire

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

For most of her time on the show, I was kind of up and down with Evie.  Yes she was annoying and even self-absorbed at times but overall I found she was kind, caring, mature and likeable. Her losing almost everyone back in 2016, really was one of the most saddest thing I have seen on TV, and yet she was able to bravely carry on with her life and helped out others as well. While it was sad to see them go,  I'm glad both Evie and Matt both get the happy ending that they deserve.  

Edited by D.B
  • Like 2

On 28/02/2017 at 10:58, Skylover said:

Does anyone else agree that Evie is probably the most tortured character on the show right now?

-her mum died of Cancer

-she was in a bushfire

And her father died afterwards too

• 3 months later...
On 28/02/2017 at 10:58, Skylover said:

-her mum died of Cancer

-she was in a bushfire

Josh was not completely guilty in killing Charlotte as it was partly self defense. He was protecting the community as Charlotte would have killed everyone in Summer Bay by now if she had lived Had Charlotte been around still when the Moragns arrived  she would got all Morgan’s killed. 

6 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Josh was not completely guilty in killing Charlotte as it was partly self defense. He was protecting the community as Charlotte would have killed everyone in Summer Bay by now if she had lived Had Charlotte been around still when the Moragns arrived  she would got all Morgan’s killed. 

Though I agree that Charlotte was too dangerous to have around and it was self-defence, Josh still could have called the police and have her locked up for good. There were better ways to deal with her.

• 2 years later...

This is just me looking back four years ago during the pandemic, but does anyone else think they missed a huge opportunity with Evie back in 2016? Just hear me out:

Now Evie still remains one of my favourite past characters, but I've been thinking about it, and I feel as though they could have explored her story involving an honest depiction of depression or mental struggle, and her fight to get out of it with her (remaining family and friends) following the string of traumas that affected her that year. Looking back, the show actually opened up some doors towards that possibility, such as when she was believing she could see Oscar's ghost (or at least I think so, it was four years ago) looking after her, or her still trying to love Josh even after knowing what he did, etc, but they never really went anywhere with her in that direction, when I really believe they could have and it would have worked. I still enjoyed some of the directions they took with Evie, such as her increased involvement in charity work for example, and Phillipa Northeast still did an amazing job with what she was given, but I still think her grief and struggle could have been utilised a lot better to make her character more interesting (also give her let go of Josh sooner). What does you guys think?

Edited by D.B

1 hour ago, D.B said:

This is just me looking back four years ago during the pandemic, but does anyone else think they missed a huge opportunity with Evie back in 2016? Just hear me out:

Now Evie still remains one of my favourite past characters, but I've been thinking about it, and I feel as though they could have explored her story involving an honest depiction of depression or mental struggle, and her fight to get out of it with her (remaining family and friends) following the string of traumas that affected her that year. Looking back, the show actually opened up some doors towards that possibility, such as when she was believing she could see Oscar's ghost (or at least I think so, it was four years ago) looking after her, or her still trying to love Josh even after knowing what he did, etc, but they never really went anywhere with her in that direction, when I really believe they could have and it would have worked. I still enjoyed some of the directions they took with Evie, such as her increased involvement in charity work for example, and Phillipa Northeast still did an amazing job with what she was given, but I still think her grief and struggle could have been utilised a lot better to make her character more interesting. What does you guys think?

Evie was pretty much the same as Matt as both were underused in their final 10 months. I think the plan was for them was to leave together from the beginning once all their era had left. 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 20:22, D.B said:

Now Evie still remains one of my favourite past characters, but I've been thinking about it, and I feel as though they could have explored her story involving an honest depiction of depression or mental struggle, and her fight to get out of it with her (remaining family and friends) following the string of traumas that affected her that year. Looking back, the show actually opened up some doors towards that possibility, such as when she was believing she could see Oscar's ghost (or at least I think so, it was four years ago) looking after her, or her still trying to love Josh even after knowing what he did, etc, but they never really went anywhere with her in that direction, when I really believe they could have and it would have worked. I still enjoyed some of the directions they took with Evie, such as her increased involvement in charity work for example, and Phillipa Northeast still did an amazing job with what she was given, but I still think her grief and struggle could have been utilised a lot better to make her character more interesting (also give her let go of Josh sooner). What does you guys think?

I think that would've been really good. Sometimes I think they glossed over her grief a bit too quickly - given just how many people she lost. I know she struggled for a bit but once they put her with Matt, it wasn't as if they had much to do until they left.

• Like 1