Celia Stewart - Fiona Spence

I loved Celia! She was such a different character from Fiona Spence's role as Vera "Vinegar Tits" Bennett in Prisoner. I did see Celia go full on Vera in the scene where Lance and Martin bring a stripper for Frank after her, Alf, Morag and Roo returned home. I liked her return in 2012/2013, but it was way too short. Hopefully she returns again and stays longer.

8 hours ago, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

I loved Celia! She was such a different character from Fiona Spence's role as Vera "Vinegar Tits" Bennett in Prisoner. I did see Celia go full on Vera in the scene where Lance and Martin bring a stripper for Frank after her, Alf, Morag and Roo returned home. I liked her return in 2012/2013, but it was way too short. Hopefully she returns again and stays longer.

Her character was very different in 2013. She seemed a lot more nasty. 

It was fun seeing Morag being the nicer sister and telling off Celia for her rudeness when 25 years ago it was the other way around. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

In this interview Fiona confirms it was her choice to leave as she wanted to move back to Melbourne after show was going go longer then two years . 

So sounds like she was only planning on staying for couple of years as they all thought that’s how long it will last. 

That’s probably why Celia wast  given much to do in her last year as they  knew Fiona was not going be remaining for too much longer. 

Its shame as show really was lacking older characters after Celia left. 

I think they should of gotten other actress who was based in Sydney  to play Celia as that way at  least we might of Celia had  for longer.

I know people have said Celia run her course but only reason why she run her course because PTB wouldn’t give her storyline’s or much character development. 

I truly believe Celia as well as Neville and Floss and Morag has potential to stay longer but unfortunately they just didn’t use them to there full potential or give them proper character development .

Interesting. I do wonder what the writers and producers would have had in store for Celia if Fiona Spence hadn't left, because it does feel like they lose interest in her by 1990. Don't get me wrong she is used in plenty of scenes but no real interesting stories of her own.

Mind you the same could be said for Ailsa between 1990 and 1995 before finally coming back into the fold storyline-wise.

Edited by Sally Keating

6 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Interesting. I do wonder what the writers and producers would have had in store for Celia if Fiona Spence hadn't left, because it does feel like they lose interest in her by 1990. Don't get me wrong she is used in plenty of scenes but no real interesting stories of her own.

Mind you the same could be said for Ailsa between 1990 and 1995 before finally coming back into the fold storyline-wise.

I guess the closest thing Ailsa had to a storyline during 1990-1995 was respecting Alf was having affair at one stage with Meg mum and fighting to stop Morag taking Sam after Bobby death.

Closet storyline Celia had after she come back form her holiday in Europe  was clearing Morag house and thinking it was  hunted after Emma and Viv making it scary and running  hot dog stand with Martin and Lance.  

16 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I guess the closest thing Ailsa had to a storyline during 1990-1995 was respecting Alf was having affair at one stage with Meg mum and fighting to stop Morag taking Sam after Bobby death.

Yep those are the only 2 things I can think of as well, and one of them only lasted a couple of episodes (and the other was basically the same dialogue repeated for weeks on end lol).

I think if Celia had stayed long term they probably would have  made her a more well rounded character and taken in couple teens and I think if she was still around in 1999 they probably would not bought back Colleen as regular as you really only need have one those type of characters as regular. 

But unfortunately I think reason why producers were more  interested in younger characters in 90s was  because they thought more younger people would watch it as you just had to look at what made Neighbours such great  ratings winner once it move ten was teenage couple Scott and Charlene and I guess they thought if want  to be ratings winner we need to do same at that’s why moved most of tension to younger characters.

By no means I am saying older characters were completely annoyed. 

But I mean Pippa and Michael and Alf and Alisa were relevant as parents characters and then Donald being principal and later Irene would parent character and other home to teens. 

Whereas characters like Neville and Floss and Morag were axed because they weren’t relevant characters in direction they wanted to take show. 

And guess that explains why they didn’t replace Celia with a new older female character as at time other older female character wasn’t relevant due to direction show was taken. 

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER
SPAG

• 3 years later...

In many ways, Celia is such a sad character. 

She lost her fiance at a young age and threw herself into religion and community work. Had Les survived, she would have a large family and as a mother, would have been a completely a different person. Instead, she's often a source of a ridicule for the younger characters and often the butt of many pranks/jokes. 

I'm currently watching the episodes in which Craig Barnett comes to stay with her which I think sums it all up. Celia is excited and enthusiastic about having him him stay and wants to cook him a full breakfast and had plans of all the fun things she wanted to do with him, which probably how she imagined her own life panning out with children, but instead he and Steven are scheming to get Craig kicked out.