Past Inside Soap Articles

Guest chair

I have found the following articles from Inside Soap. I kept them from my teenage years. I was sorting out my stuff that is still at my parents' house from when I lived there and I came across them yesterday. I could try to post a picture from my phone but I didn't want to take up too much memory on the board.

This article is published in the Autumn of 1997. Steven returned on 30th September 1997. (It was the day of my operation so I remember watching it in hospital, just hours after my surgery). Inside Soap at this time was published every 2 weeks, and this episode was in the 2nd week of the issue. The magazine was probably published on 16th September but I can't guarantee this.

What's behind the return of one of Summer Bay's most enduring characters?

When a familiar face turns up in Summer Bay, it leaves Selina Roberts feeling nervous and confused. For the familiar face belongs to none other than ex-maths teacher Steven Matheson!

Yep, Selina's ex returns this week to put the local hospital on-line with the city's hospital, having set up a computer business in the city.

But is that the only reason for his return or has he got his sights set on something, or something else?

He sure has! Selina broke his heart, and now Steven won't let anything stand in the way of getting her back.

Hwe hasn't had much to smile about recently. When his relationship with then-schoolgirl Selina was revealed, he lost his job. And, feeling everyone in the Bay had turned their backs on him, he left and headed for the bright lights of the city.

However, Steven still feels bitter, and is determined to prove to everyone in Summer Bay what a huge success he has become. He's also determined to get what he wants - Selina.

Steven feels the only thing that stood between him and Selina's relationship before was his teaching position. So now he thinks he can pick up where he left off.

However, there's one small hitch: Selina is now happy with Jesse, and the last thing she needs is more complications in her love life.

Steven clearly makes Selina feel uneasy. But is that because he could ruin her relationship with Jesse - or is the real truth that she just can't trust herself?

This article was published in the summer of 2000. The episodes concerned were not screened in the UK till 2001.

Welcome home!

A common gripe about soap weddings is that friends and relatives of the happy couple - in other words, actors who have left the show - rarely put in an appearance.

But Home and Away's producers have managed to lure back several old faces for the wedding of Sally (Kate Ritchie and Kieran (Spencer McLaren).

Among the characters returning to Summer Bay for the nupitals are Pippa (Debra Lawrence), Carly (Sharyn Hodgson), Steven (Adam Willits) and Jack (Daniel Amalm).

Kate, who is one of the few remaining original cast members comments, "It was great to see everyone again, though I was sad that some people couldn't come - for example, it would have been great to get Isla Fisher back."

ETA: I have separated the two articles so it is easier to read them. I am sorry I spreed earlier.

Selina Cook not Selina "Roberts"

I thought she changed her name to Selina Roberts. She wanted to be either official fostered or adopted (can't remember which) by Irene. The department wouldn't let her because of all the problems Irene has had and the way she treated her own children.

So as a gesture Selina changed her surname to show she thought of Irene as her mum.

Selina did indeed change her name to Roberts, some time around 1996 I think, on the grounds that Irene had been more of a mother to her than her birth family.

Vaguely remember that second one, result of that year long hiatus when Inside Soap kept publishing teasers of what was coming up in Australia and going "But UK viewers won't get to see the storyline for over a year."

That's pretty stupid. It's not as though her real family subjected her to severe physical abuse or beatings. What a cow, like Sophie, Selina went rotten the day she got pregnant,

Why do I get the impression you already knew and were waiting to give that response....

Thanks for typing up the articles, chair :wink:

That's pretty stupid. It's not as though her real family subjected her to severe physical abuse or beatings. What a cow, like Sophie, Selina went rotten the day she got pregnant,

Oh, that happens to all girls.The world would be a better place if everyone locked them in high towers until they died of old age.

It was always a little vague as to why Selina fell out with her mum, although it was about a year before she got pregnant so that didn't make any difference.(Ironically, of course, Sophie's "real" family did subject her to severe physical abuse or beatings...)

I think Selina was basically just ignored as a child. All the brothers got the attention and Selina was left just to rome the street and her mum didn't care. Also I think they were all a bit backward and expected Selina to do everything. A little like Finn. And when she wanted to better her self and try hard at school they just thought she was up herself. Neglect can be a pretty powerful form of abuse.

Thanks, Dan F. It was a pleasure to type them up. I had completely forgotten about them. I used to have a noticeboard of pictures of Steven. (It is probably a good thing that the internet did not exist back in 1997). I have now got rid of the pictures. I still like Adam Willits but I no longer have a teenager crush on him.

Archived