Neighbours star in battle with producers over alleged discrimination.

Guest Dingo x

I feel for her because it's well known she's had illness and her exit did seem rather unexplained and sudden but I really don't think suing is going to help if the goal is to get the job back.It doesn't usually work like that and even if it did I'm not sure why she'd want it at this point though I agree it's refreshing to see someone of her age who doesn't just wanna run off to LA and forget Australia ever existed.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynd yes they are Aussie stars who do NOT want to go to the USA! I know one who was asked twice but didnt want to leave her family! Another just so devoted to want to work at home so like Kym its great to know they are good people in the business,

That being said I guessing even if Kym doesnt get her job back maybe all the bad press the show given will make them regret getting rid of her in the 1st place. Its awful she in this position as theres alot of ungrateful actors out there and Im sure Kym happy to know she got alot of fan support.

As another fan said "its going to be a mess"

Light She has a right to be bitter as Im sure she didnt want to become ill and to have a Mcloeds actor come into the show Libby 2 Michala Banas who Knows Bower! and Brett Tucker (Dan) and friends with Simone Buchanan (Sam) if I was Kym I would have been jealous and worried she might be repalced by Libby2!

That's what you would feel. I'm sure Kym was professional and mature enough to see that the only possible outcome was to have a guest actor come in and play the role whilst she was sick.

Of course she would? Im guessing she had to do the PR and the photos with the cast saying how she Ok what the change in actors! Because Libby was an important part of the storyline at the time that had she no choice but to do that and accpet it. One I know they was people who would have liked Banas and Buchanan to be full time replacements and second if that didnt bother her why is she doing the lawsuit? Im know this has not made her popular with the show as I told Lynd.

^But she's not talking about when she first got sick in 2008, she's talking about when she was 'let go' in 2010 due to ill health. Presumably she was under the impression she could return once she was well again, but the producers decided they didn't want her back anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Which was a shock to me as well knowing from my source one of the main things the show wanted was to keep the Kennedy's together? Maybe she though they would consider Banas back again?

Micahela was unavailable as she was on Winners & Losers (now in new show on ABC). I'd rather have Kym back anyday and am shocked the producer (is it Susan Bower?) didn't want her back even though 2 years on her contract still. Wish she'd come back as Libby is such an important character in the show.

NO is Bower gone now? Its sad they wouldnt want an actor who devoted to the show and fans unlike other series actors who have become as awful as US actors.

Im hoping something good comes out of it for her given the pain of her illiness and what she went though? Im guessing they may offer her a Guest visit? to calm this down? I doubt it though.

I feel Kym would be on the show as long as she was able to work as I heard from source being on the list of the longest running characters on Aussie TV?

Susan Bower hasn't been the producer since the end of 2011. Richard Jasek is now the producer.

I know this. But Susan Bower was the producer when Kym/Libby was on the show last... so wouldn't it be her that didn't want Kym back? Not sure how Richard feels about this.....

What sources I do have dont comment on N much as I am confused at what Kym hopes to get? Lets just say they allow her to come back they would be some hard feelings. Sadly Neighbours isnt a nice place behind the scenes much like any other series it has its bad and good times! One rumor was she didnt get along with someone who probably gone now? Most of the time I try to listen to both sides and not to believe everyhting I hear yet now after hearing alot of bad stories in the past 3 years Im begining to believe all the negative stories I heard in 09-11!

My advice to Kym would be to move on to another series if they give her a hard time over this? yet I admire her devotion even though i wasnt a big Libby fan.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, have only just found this post and would like to put in my "two cents".
I think it's extraordinary that someone is not be able to fulfil their contract because of an illness. Depression, just like eany other illness such as asthma or a cold, is a serious condition and from time to time can mean that people can't work. To say that she can't come back to the show after being in a clinic to help herself, in my opinion IS discrimination.
There is probably more to the story that hasn't been sourced, but from what I hear, Kym should be able to come back to the show IF SHE WANTS TO, if nothing else to fulfil her contract. Kym sought the help she needed, that deserves a lot of credit. Most people just try to ignore their problems and keep on going. She stopped and asked for help.
I guess it just shows what some employers will do to keep people unemployed. I myself have had a battle with depression and it got to the point where my work was suffering. So I told my boss what was going on and he helped me by giving me the time to get the help I needed. Now, I know not all bosses are like this, but I would like to think that most people (including co-workers) would be able to see when people need help. Something needs to be done in ALL workplaces to make everyone safe and happy at work. You wouldn't expect people who have cancer to "just get over it", so why would you think that about depression and other mental illnesses. People's perceptions need to change.
Oh, and I loved Kym when she was on the show. I thought she was an amazing actor. I just hope she can find somewhere else to work and be loved once again the world over.
Sorry, rant over.

Archived