Isla Fisher takes a swipe at H&A

Guest Mishyy

I can't see how the dialogue was that bad during Shannon's time. I can't see how the script for "Confessions of a Shopoholic" is any better. Maybe I am just an ignorant viewer. I remember an interview by Greg Haddrick in 1996. (One of the writers, may even do some episodes still?). And said Marilyn and Donald where his favourite characters to write for. I actually found it an interesting interview.

Around time Isla Fishersaid in an interview how great and topical she thought the show was. Just goes to show you can't believe a word they say half the time.

Yes your right. It goes to show you cant beleive anything printed anymore. I use to know people who had access to a certain series and about all the interviews you read about how they left the show is just PR! After the last 3 years Im just disapointed in all lies and hyporcitical actions that I been told. Theres the 'Official" reason and the real reason why actors leave a show!

Of course she not going to bash the show while she working!

Yet Im kind not enjoying all the H&A actor bashing even if its deserved as other shows have worse actors as well.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some actors dont want to be the A lister? if you can beleive it? I think its Ok actors will turn down money or series opportunity for wanting to put family or other things in thier life 1st yet they are sadly some who just dont want the responsibility of being part of something as a popluar series!

I expect that here in the USA, not Australia. I guess I was wrong.

I think some actors from Neighbours/H&A back in the 90's still carry around the feedback that the show is daggy and at the bottom of the pile when it comes to quality drama (whether that is true or not). I think opinions have changed in recent years. But I reckon they secretly enjoyed it, but feel some sort of pressure to dismiss it due to the reputation it had/has.

That's how they come across to me anyway. Sort of like, if they admit that it was great, they think they will lose some sort of creditbility as an actor.... because it was 'just a soap'.

This is why I think Robert Mammone is great. The fact that he didn't like some of the writing and changed bits and spoke up about it shows to me he cares about the quality of the work he is doing at the time and had enough guts to say. Also shows he is bothered about the show. Better than making some cheap snide comment years down the track.

Alexx I agree when you have shows that have went on for so long your going to have bad stroylines and im sure some actors didnt enjoy it yet went to work and did their job hoping the future plot would be better?

Also to add to Blaxlands post. I love it when an actor stands up for the show and fans!!!!! I do think theres alot of actors who cares about their shows and have pride in thier character and work!

Back to Alexx post One example I recall from a former source is I was told one actor didnt want to play the "Baddie" Yet later they allowed the show to write their character evil and It shocked me as they seem upset with what was happening even though they allowed it!!!

The more I have thought about it the more I think Isla should have more respect with what made her a house hold name. The writing wasn't at all bad in her time and its a really cheap shot to slag off a soap at the speed with which the writers have to right they did a great job in 94-97. Just watched the epiosde with Shannon's essay and its really well written. Just as good as any big film she has been in.

Yes actors should have more respect for their shows and fellow actors not to meition fans. I understand actors are human and have issues and bad days yet like I do at work I have rules to go by and they should as well as your working and doing something that means not only making you very noticed and popular but doing something that makes people like what you do!

I understand some actors do not like to see thier personal lives made public as others actors brag about thier trips and fmaily on media like twitter. Its up tot he person!

Its a great honor to get a reply from someone who admire and I got to wish an actress her in the states I met once Happy Mother day!

Also its great when they have a website or a fan club. sadly iI had 2 friends who where disapointed at a lack of support from said actors even though they were appricated with a thank you but like most celebs its a runaround no matter if its here in the USA or Dowun under!

Fan Mail again its greta H&A and Neighbours set a standard that few series follows and many use to! Its great when fans get something even if its not signed its better than noting. Sadly some actors are hard to contact or have no interest if they have bad support people who dont care so when I hear of replies it pleases me to see fans happy.

My problem is actors who want it both ways and pretend they care! They go on a show, dont do fan mail, want no responsiblity, yet claim all the glory of the fame they get! The best example I heard from a event here was a US actor who was on a hit US series and bragged about the amount of fan mail he got yet NEVER seen any of it!

if an actor dont want the responsibity then they should consider another career!

I don't think there's anything wrong with former cast members dismissing their time on the show. It is a soap, it's not the height of the acting world, and to be fair I think it's come a long way since the times that the likes of Fisher and George were on it.

Didn't Paul O'Brien make a comment after he left about how it was all filmed to a schedule and it didn't matter if you were happy with your scene or not because they were already moving on to the next one before you'd finished saying your lines.

Melissa George, I think, has other issues, she strikes me as thinking she's a way bigger star than she is, and I can't stand her constant rants and what not. Isla Fisher, on the other hand, I like. To be fair to both of them though, I don't think you can really credit H&A for any of their career since. How long was Fisher off the show before she made a real name for herself? It wasn't the same back then. Now when the actors leave H&A they have a massive online fan base, the show can be watched all over the world so it's not just Australia or the UK and Ireland where they're well known. The likes of Luke Mitchell, Chris Hemsworth etc. have pretty much gone straight from H&A to bigger things. That didn't happen before. I'm sure Fisher was a struggling actress for a long time before she became a reasonably well known actress in the states. Plus, for whatever reason Aussies are big business in the US at the moment, so someone going to the US now has a massive leg up over someone trying to break into it 10 years ago. They would have been doing it on their own, starting from scratch.

I think one thing the older cast members don't realise is how much the show is genuinely loved. I can't speak for any where else but I know in Ireland it's a really big show and it's not that people watch it ironically, or hate watch it. When someone says "I loved you on Home and Away" they genuinely mean it. I get a feeling though that that wasn't always the case and it was something that they had to shake off after leaving before they could move on.

sadly some actors dont appricate it. I understand some have issues yet they should be more respectful.

Im pleased some Aussies are doing well here in the states now yet Its not like years ago with the flood of Aussie shows and actors in the 1980s coming to America. i evny you in Europe watch Aussie shows.

Archived